Fri, Sep 20, 3:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 3:20 pm)

Subject: I'm having trouble with .bum files

HORNO ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 4:10 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 1:35 PM

Hi. I have been trying to figure out how to fix this issue, but I haven't had luck. I've downloaded some free clothing from websites around the internet and occassionally, when I go to open the dress, it asks me to locate (for example -- BLdressbump.bum) I find the file, but it is not a .bum it is usually a .jpg (BLdressbump.jpg) i know that Poser is supposed to convert it automatically into a bump, but it isn't. How do I change the jpg file into a .bum? Thanks for any info

hmatienzo ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 5:26 PM

Without ProPack, you need to let Poser convert the jpg first. Try loading it as BUM onto a prop or so, then answer yes when it asks you if you want to convert. Now, you can load your real object and apply it. In ProPack, just load the jpg, it will do the rest automatically. Just watch out when PP asks for a BUM and can't find it... it tends to go into an endless spin.

L'ultima fòrza è nella morte.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 5:27 PM

Load a square prop from the Library, go to Materials, and apply the JPEG as a bump map. Poser 4.03 should convert the JPEG to .bum format and write the .bum to your hard drive. But if you have Pro Pack installed, all conversion is internalized, and it won't write a copy to your drive.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 5:28 PM

Oops, I see that hmatienzo beat me to the punch. :) waves hello

hmatienzo ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 7:21 PM

waves hello back So, what is a nice Dragon like you doing in a place like this??? wink-wink-nudge-nudge

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 8:39 PM

I came for the free doughnuts. You're out of jelly-filled, by the way.

hmatienzo ( ) posted Wed, 21 August 2002 at 11:08 AM

Mea culpa!!!! Won't happen again, I promise! But the lemon-filled are still warm, and they are soooo good.... Or the blueberry donuts, yumyum.

praxis22 ( ) posted Wed, 21 August 2002 at 11:13 AM

Don't feed them, they only get angry when you feed them... :P

HORNO ( ) posted Wed, 21 August 2002 at 8:37 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I am using ProPack and it doesn't seem to be converting the jpg files. hmatienzo - In your first post you said: "In ProPack, just load the jpg, it will do the rest automatically. Just watch out when PP asks for a BUM and can't find it... it tends to go into an endless spin." I have been experiencing the PP endless spin. How do I avoid this so the PP recognizes that the jpg file is a .bum file?

jelisa ( ) posted Wed, 21 August 2002 at 9:56 PM

Pro Pack doesn't convert the jpegs to bum files like Poser 3/4 do. I either select the jpeg instead or (I do this 99% of the time) go into the figure/pose file and change the .bum references to .jpg. Changing the references in the files will stop the endless spin that hmatienzo mentioned. Just find the pz2, cr2, pp2 file, etc. that you are using in the library, open it in Wordpad and do a search to replace .bum with .jpg. Just make sure that the jpeg file exists or you'll still get the endless spin. -darlisa

HORNO ( ) posted Wed, 21 August 2002 at 10:14 PM

OK darlisa. I'll try that. Thank you for your help! HORNO

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.