Mon, Sep 9, 5:19 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Animation

Welcome to the Animation Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Animation F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 12:02 am)

In here we will dicuss everything that moves.

Characters, motion graphics, props, particles... everything that moves!
Enjoy , create and share :)
Remember to check the FAQ for useful information and resources.

Animation learning and resources:

[Animations]

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Animation Schools?

Lord_of_the_Rings ( ) posted Tue, 06 August 2002 at 7:49 PM ยท edited Fri, 09 August 2024 at 2:40 AM

Hello everyone. I am currently in the process of looking for a computer animation school. Does anyone have any advice or specific schools I should be looking at. Any help would be awesome.

VIDandCGI ( ) posted Thu, 08 August 2002 at 3:57 AM

Well I think a good start would be to state where you are and how far you are willingable to go.

illusion3d ( ) posted Fri, 16 August 2002 at 5:55 PM

Here is my standard Art School Advice. The school that you attend is not as important as how much work you are willing to put into the program. Graduation from the best school won't guarantee you that job at Pixar or Dreamworks once you get out. While undoubtedly some schools are better than others, unless you are willing to shell out the money for CalArts (or live near by), you can get the tools you need from a number of good schools around the country. Most of the better ones are in California, but you can find some good ones in many major cities. For example, The Art Institute has a decent program and is located in about 27 different cities. Check out the Animation Schools link at www.3dlinks.com to find one in your area. Regadless of what school you choose, how far you go is up to you. You are only going to learn so much in the classroom. I find that instructors can only give you so much in the limited amount of time that they have with you. You need to go beyond what the instructors have to offer. Check out online tutorials from this site and 3dbuzz.com among others. Check out some of the books that are available on the program you want to learn. Post your work on this site and others for feedback. Ask instructors, ask students, ask your friends who know absolutley nothing about animation. Feedback can only help you. Be prepared to spend hours in the lab honing your skills. Get demo versions of the software so you can work at home. If you can afford it, buy the software at the student rate. The key here is to work your ass off. The competition is fierce and graduation from the best of schools won't guarantee you a job once you get out. (I don't care what the placement statistics say. Half of them are false). Be prepared to work for what you want, and be ready to look for other avenues of pursuing your goal if one road is blocked. Good luck to you.

nemirc ( ) posted Sun, 18 August 2002 at 11:15 PM

Attached Link: Soto's Digital Ltd

Very very well said, illusion3d. I've seen that a lot of people in the *industry* has never attended a specialized "computer graphics school" but they are "damn good" at what they do, and the answer to the "why" is that they "worked their ass off" as illusion3d said. It doesn't matter how many schools you attend because your skills are far more important that the cardboard saying that you have graduated. In my personal opinion, read books, download tutorials and pick a specific field (modeling, rendering or animation) and master it. Also, try to pick one single app and stick to it. I began with MAX but I started with Maya almost 2 years ago and all I can say is that I'll never pick softimage, max or lightwave unless I am required to (because of a job). I went a little off topic, sorry ![Message671422.jpg](http://www.renderosity.com/photos/Message671422.jpg) Hope this helps, just my "3 cents", hehehe

nemirc
Renderosity Magazine Staff Writer
https://renderositymagazine.com/users/nemirc
https://about.me/aris3d/

whbos ( ) posted Sun, 25 August 2002 at 9:24 AM

You can bust your butt learning from books and online, but the bottom line is if you don't have credentials (that piece of paper called a diploma), you aren't going to get very far unless you have connections in the industry. That's reality and I know from experience.

Poser 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Pro 2014, 11, 11 Pro

VIDandCGI ( ) posted Sun, 25 August 2002 at 7:27 PM

I would disagree with that completely, 3d artistsanimators come from all walks of life and not all of them have degrees, what employers look for varies but most require that you have a raw talent that can be nurtured and directed towards meeting their goals. E.g I know a successful 3d artist; old friend from school, No degree and employed in the industry almost 3 months after leaving school - why? - because he was amoungst the best at what he did. If you have talent you will go far, with or without a diploma, and once you get your foot in the door thats when you can start cementing your networking skills.

nemirc ( ) posted Sun, 25 August 2002 at 9:44 PM

Attached Link: Soto's Digital Ltd.

I totally agree with you, VIDandCGI

nemirc
Renderosity Magazine Staff Writer
https://renderositymagazine.com/users/nemirc
https://about.me/aris3d/

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.