Mon, Sep 9, 4:33 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: CL.....P5 Upgrade Packaging

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 6:21 PM · edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 5:52 AM

Will the P5 upgrade be in a nice box, with the beautiflly written manual by AH....a CD in an envelope with cover art, and all the other goodies.... OR...one of those shrink wrapped, tied together with a rubber band, poorly copied manual, cheap $.04 cd white generic envelope....all slopped into a US Mail red, white , and blue shipping envelope ????

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

Jcleaver ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 6:26 PM

I heard it was going to be delivered on 5 1/4" disks only. The manual will be posted on a BBS somewhere. Probably each chapter will have a different BBS hosting it. j/k Seriously, as I understand, it will be the full retail box, complete with beautiful manual by Anthony, and all other goodies.

Nosfiratu ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 6:26 PM

The upgrade edition ships on 360K floppies (5.25) with a mimeographed manual. Rubber band extra.

Nosfiratu ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 6:29 PM

The only difference between the "upgrade" and "full" versions is price. Curious Labs offers a discount to all of our existing customers. Everyone gets the same 5.25" floppies and mimeographed manual! In all seriousness, as Jcleaver said (you read my mind, man!), everyone gets the box, shrink-wrapped CD jacket, manual, etc. :-) Anthony Hernandez Documentation Manager Curious Labs

Jcleaver ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 6:32 PM

Wow! Mimeographed manual!!!! I'm overwealmed! My 300 baud modem will get some rest!!

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 6:41 PM

LOL ROF and Choking...all at the same time.... hold on.....was that my bubblegum or supper ???? Hey, I just had to ask that question..I think it was the only one I haven't seen yet :) But, I have received upgrades from quite a few companies that had a manual that looked like it was typed using carbon paper, and I got the 4000th copy. What's a 5-1/4 disk??? a BBS ????

Nosfiratu ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 6:42 PM

Dave: For you, a special deal: 8" diskettes and the manual hand-lettered by Benedictine monks.

Barryw ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 7:00 PM

Hey wait!!! Can i get the manual mimeographed?? I haven't sniffed those things since kindergarten!!!

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 7:00 PM

In gold leaf, with edging... OK>>>thanks much :)

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 7:03 PM

kinda like 8 track tapes, those mimeographed pages.... That ink did have a neat smell....I used to like eating that white paste too.... Maybe that's why I'm kinda strange now....hmmmm

namja1955 ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 8:13 PM

I thought the manual was coming on a roll of teletype punch tape or old IBM punch cards. (How many people here ever had to program with a box of punch cards?) I guess I'm showing my age..

melanie ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 8:27 PM

Oooohh! I studied in business college 25 years ago on key punch. Oh, those nasty cards. Do not fold, bend, spindle, or mutilate. What a pain. And I do remember 8" floppy disks. Big enough to serve the Thanksgiving turkey on. The 5 1/4 floppies seemed so small in comparison. When the 3.5 diskettes came in with the hard plastic shell, it seemed like a major technological advance. Little did we ever dream of CDs. Such a trip down memory lane! Melanie

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 8:38 PM

who...? what.........? I didn't see Lois Lane

Jcleaver ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 8:43 PM

I started out with punch tape. Boy, when we upgraded to the cards I was in heaven!! I'm also showing my age I guess!!!

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 8:50 PM

Wow...thanks guys :) I'm very happy I started this thread--you're making me feel like a youngster again.... But I do remember when folks used to draw on something called "paper"

EricofSD ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 8:58 PM

The punch cards won't have hanging chads, will it? I'd hate to input one with the chad still on find out that Vickie turns into a transvestite. That would really ruin my Poser experience.

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 9:06 PM

Wasn't that transvestite thing Stephanie ???

namja1955 ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 9:07 PM

I stiil have a few rolls of punch tape around. I think one is for a picture of a naked lady composed entirely of letters and punctuation marks, another is for a text version of a Star Trek game that was written entirely in Hewlett-Packard Basic (for the HP2000E).

jjsemp ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 9:29 PM

I've heard that Curious Labs will ship us the actual code for Poser 5 in the Basic language on paper and we'll have to type it in ourselves. As for the manual, a real live person will come visit each and every one of us and recite it. It'll be the guy who did the voice for Jar Jar Binks and he'll use that same way of talking. jjsemp

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 9:32 PM

Kinda like that Michael guy using MIMIC :)

unclebob ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 9:44 PM

yep, I had to know the Holerath (sp) code to use one of the card punch machines we had in high school (mid 70's) and be able to read a card for a test. program in Cobol and Fortran IV. We even had this HUGE beastie of a printer that you had to use jack plugs to program it what to print. The DP room was on the second floor of the vocational building and when it would print the beastie would shake the building. The home-ec teacher would come up and crab because the shaking caused some cakes to fall. LOL (true story)

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 9:50 PM

I remember thinking how great 3 1/2" disks were when I rolled over one with my chair and it was still usable...lol...memories! I also remember the 8" disks, but not the 300 baud modems, I started with a 2400 I'll have you know! 8^P~ Marque

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 9:53 PM

I actually started with a 300baud modem..and a cassette tape drive...just before the floppy (5-1/4) arrived for my system. Do you remember those amber hercules monitors ??? 2 colors...black and amber...text only...oh--amber text.

namja1955 ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 10:04 PM

OK since we are strolling down commputer memory lane, anybody ever worked with the HEATHKIT H-8. You got it to run by entering HEX sequences on a numeric keypad. How about the ALTAIR 8008 (I think)? You had to enter binary strings on the front panel using a series of toggle switches. It had 256 bytes of memory. (No that's not a typo..)

pdxjims ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 10:15 PM

You guys have got it backwards! With P5, it is transmitted psychicly to you, and will appear complete in your mind. This is to allow for easier upgrades later to fix the "Make user pee at 2 A.M problem." The manual will be in PDF format, available from the Psychic Friends Network. Of course, you'll have to get the new mind-reading CD rw available from Intel, and it will only run on Windows XZ, but hey, the price on the upgrade was great!

geep ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 10:26 PM

[it is compressed ........... VERY compressed]

ܤۧ
ܤ

ܤۧ
ܤ

~BK

[just kidding.....]
cheers,
dr geep
;=]

BTW - I still have some 8" floppies ... anybody need one? ;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 10:28 PM

This ... W...A...I...T...I...N...G... . . . . . . . . isn't gettin' to us ... is it? ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 10:39 PM

What waiting? I'm rendering in P4 right now :)

geep ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 10:54 PM

I want the face room ... and ... the hair thingy ... and the ... and the cloth whatchamacalit ... and the ... collision detection ... and the ... I WANT POSER 5!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW!!! RIGHT NOW!!! [what?] Oh! .............................. nevermind. Someone just told me that it'll be here reeeeeeeal soon. ;=] but will it be soon enough to save geep's sanity? - stay tuned -

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

AprilYSH ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 11:23 PM

too late...

[ Store | Freebies | Profile ]

a sweet disorder in the dress kindles in clothes a wantoness,
do more bewitch me than when art is too precise in every part

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 11:38 PM

It is just a matter of hours

Dale B ( ) posted Wed, 28 August 2002 at 11:57 PM

Ahhhh, the good ol' Altair 8008... What a toy that was. Remember when the first 8080 boards came out for those things? and the 16k dynamic RAM boards that only cost about $1500. Oh, and then there was the day they came out with an actual 256 baud accoustic modem set up -internal- to the computer...except for the coupler, natch... And the first 24x80 video card with a whole 2k of actual static RAM. Those were the days..... Ghod, I wish I could find one of those again, just to sit on a desk and admire....

Im4Angels ( ) posted Thu, 29 August 2002 at 12:12 AM

Hmmmm, Altair is before my time, I started with a VIC20 & cassettes. Oh and I still have a box or 2 of 8" floppies around here somewhere. But how about Borroughs and Wang Puters, fun fun. That Bororughs OS wwas some fun.

Lucy_Fur ( ) posted Thu, 29 August 2002 at 2:02 AM

Man alive.......and here I thought it was just funny that my kids didn't know what records were.........G

timoteo1 ( ) posted Thu, 29 August 2002 at 3:22 AM

Nostalgia ... is ... overpowering ... me. CAN ... NOT ... STOP ...

Vic20 and cassettes here too! First game was GORF! "Space CAAADET ... Space CAAADET." Had a KAYPRO (anyone remember those glorified word processors?), C-64 with 300baud modem and 50 pages of "good" BBS's, tried a TI-99, then C-128, Amiga, Atari ST, and so on.

I've kept them all and have a mini-museum of computer history starting in the early 80's. I know ... super-geek ... my wife thinks I'm nuts. And my current computer room has every class of Pentium (1 to 4) running and doing work on some level for me almost 24/7.

There's a good chance some of us will have kids that will wonder what CD's and DVD's were.

Nosfiratu ( ) posted Thu, 29 August 2002 at 3:23 AM

One word: PONG

Roy G ( ) posted Thu, 29 August 2002 at 3:30 AM

I remember punch tape. We had two of those machines and they made so much noise you couldn't talk in the same room. My Atari 400 with 8k of memory used audio cassetes to save programs on. (It still works BTW). And I have a slide rule. We have come a long way.

Hubert ( ) posted Thu, 29 August 2002 at 3:33 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Attached Link: ASCII-Poser (Faked! Beware, weird nudity *g*) :)

memories... memories... the Days of Poser-Yore and typewriter Pin Ups. See my faked ASCII-Poser version (an Oldie done in Nov. 2000). I better use the nudity-tag, cause its really... ehm *extreme* :D H.

"All that we see or fear, is but a Sphere inside a Sphere."     (E. A. Pryce -- Tuesday afternoon, 1845)

c1rcle ( ) posted Thu, 29 August 2002 at 3:33 AM

ahhhh good old pong, I was lucky enough to be one of the first kids in the UK to have that, we had months of fun playing it on our B&W telly. Rob

timoteo1 ( ) posted Thu, 29 August 2002 at 3:44 AM

Hubert: That's outstanding!! Nice work. I love it! Anthony: I totally forgot about pong! Thanks. My older brother and I would play it all the time. We had two versions ... one was made by Intellivision (I think.) Ah yes, the good old days of video switched to channel 3 on your family portable color-TV. Unless of course you were one of the lucky ones who got the all-powerful, world-reknowned (sp?) Commodore monitors. -Tim

Dave-So ( ) posted Thu, 29 August 2002 at 8:15 AM

This thread made one heck of a jump from packaging to old computer stuff :) I'm an electronics tech..at least have a degree in electronics, and used to read Popular Electronics mag like the bible...so always knew about all the new computers being developed...drooled over the Heath catalog quite a bit.... The Altair, etc...Finally bought an Atari 800 with tape storage, 16k ram....but what is interesting, the programmers started to max out the system...software, even with the minimal hardware, could do some amazing things... Now we have more computing power on our desktops than all the computing power combined back in the 60s....and we're still not happy. The software, always getting more bloated, seems to bog down even the most powerful desktop systems....

melanie ( ) posted Thu, 29 August 2002 at 8:57 AM

I had a TSR-80 from Radio Shack with audio tapes. If I remember correctly, you had to take out the program tape in order to save a document. I also had an Smith-Corona word processor that used little odd-sized hard diskettes that weren't even compatible with regular computers. I also have a box of 8" diskettes around here somewhere that my boss gave me because we were upgrading to the 5 1/4 drives. She was going to throw them away, so I took them. I was going to paint them and make art out of them, but never did. Funny! Melanie

melanie ( ) posted Thu, 29 August 2002 at 9:00 AM

Oh, and that TSR-80 had to be hooked up to the TV because it didn't have a monitor. Melanie

ockham ( ) posted Thu, 29 August 2002 at 9:39 AM

I began with punch cards in high school but didn't really get into programming until I encountered a PDP-8 with sound processing abilities. At that time a sound system was for specialized scientific use, and cost $3000; now, of course, a much superior system is just included free with each computer. The PDP-8 used those 8" floppies, and also had a highly advanced removable hard disk, which was about the size of a car tire and held one fabulous megabyte! Who could ever fill that much space?

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

Philywebrider ( ) posted Thu, 29 August 2002 at 9:47 AM

My first computer was a TI-someting, was small with no keys, it had a smooth plastic film with keys painted on it. It was 2K, and I bought 2k of additional ram for $250.00 (the addition ram was on sale).

Philywebrider ( ) posted Thu, 29 August 2002 at 10:04 AM

tape>cards>cassette>8" floppy>512K floppy>1.4mb floppy>100mb zip>250mb zip>700mb CD>4.7gb DVD>9.7gb DS DVD I may have missed someting, but you get the idea. Whatnext? I remember computer experts saying,"...what could you possiably use 64K of ram for?" A one time congress considered closing the patent office because everything important had already been invented.

namja1955 ( ) posted Thu, 29 August 2002 at 11:56 AM

I think that was a quote from Bill Gates in 1985; "64K RAM should be plenty for anybody." Obviously he hadn't yet given much thought to WINDOW XP.

Nosfiratu ( ) posted Thu, 29 August 2002 at 1:09 PM

Hubert, How'd you get your mitts on the Poser 6 interface? :-) Anthony H.

sbucci ( ) posted Thu, 29 August 2002 at 3:49 PM

That looks a little too high-tech for my TI-994a. I guess I'll finally have to break down and get the "Extended Basic" cartridge.

Allen9 ( ) posted Thu, 29 August 2002 at 6:09 PM

Punch cards, 8" floppies, direct hex entry, cassetes? Hhhummmmmppppphhhh! You are all a bunch of young whippersnappers. Why, waaaay back when I started, we used a chisel on a slab of granite, the girl in the next cubicle was named Bertha Basalt, and Fred Flintstone was YOUNG! ;o)

ppowellaa ( ) posted Thu, 29 August 2002 at 10:54 PM

My first computer was a 2k Sinclair (sp) by TI, hooked it up to the tv and programmed a couple of games with it is basic, learned programming in Basic on a trs-80 with 4k... Now I have a P4 and can't program a lick...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.