Fri, Sep 20, 10:01 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Anyone know of Kiron Lenses?

Quinn ( ) posted Sat, 07 September 2002 at 7:52 AM ยท edited Thu, 15 August 2024 at 4:21 PM

Morning folks, I know I havent been around much, been working on web pages and scripting flash, over the last few weeks. Anyway the local shop has a Kiron, Nikon Mount, MF, f2.8, 105mm Macro Lenses for $120. The lens is second hand but looks to be in decent shape. Thing is I have never herd of the company, and I think they have gone out of business. So I was curious if anyone has any experience with lenses made by this company? If they are equivalent to Quantaray (Ritz store brand), I wont even bother looking, but if it is more like Vivitar, or Tamron, then it may be worth a look. If anyone knows these lenses, Id appreciate some help. Thanks

Slynky ( ) posted Sat, 07 September 2002 at 6:05 PM

kiron seems to be out of business, but i couldn't really find anything "bad" about the lenses. Read somewhere that Kiron and another company were brand names of a company called Kiro... i believe. do a search on photographyreview.com under discussions, not products, anbd you'll get a few results, though nothing too definite.

Quinn ( ) posted Sun, 08 September 2002 at 11:00 AM

Thanks for the info, I went up to photographyreview.com, and like you said, nothing much one way or the other, but at least it gave me an idea of the class of lens. I then went a little deeper on the web, and found that people who use it, like it, some even comparing it to Nikkor. Im not sure what the minimum aperture is, but Im taking one of my bodies up to the store today to try it. So Ill get back to you on that one. Again thanks. Quinn

Quinn ( ) posted Sun, 08 September 2002 at 4:56 PM

Well I got the lens, with the condition that I can return it within 14 days, if I chose. It is 105mm, 52mm threaded, and bonus , 1:1 macro, the aperture range is from F-2.8 to F-32. I just got back from the local pond/hiking trail, and shot bugs, flowers, and butterflies at 1:1, then took a few of geese, and general scenic at smaller apertures up to f-32. Used tri-pod and handheld. Just trying to put it through its paces. Ill drop the film (Supra 100) off at a 1hr tomorrow and see how it comes out. This could be fun; I have always wanted a good macro:-) Thanks again Quinn

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.