Fri, Sep 20, 10:06 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Another one....about to bite the dust! (OT)

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 2:31 PM ยท edited Thu, 15 August 2024 at 2:23 AM

Hey all, I was wondering if I can get some feedback as to what computer setups you all use. I'm askin this cause my Sony Vaio 200 mmx has started to go weird on me! Yeah it was a top of the line machine waay back in 96 when I bought it, but now....UUGH!! Okay, I'll admit it STILL works for internet and playin mp3s...but doin any serious graphic stuff is becoming a REAL hassle! SLLOOOOW is an understatement.....bootup takes at least 2 minutes (sometimes more) and working with any decent sized files is a joke!!!! HAHAHA....not to mention the frequent crashes, freeze-ups,blue screens,gpfs...blah, blah, blah...you get the idea! Anyways... I think its time to retire my old lavender encased workhorse and move on...it'll be hard... as we've created so much.... together! But I gotta do what I gotta do! So what do ya got out there and what kinda stuff do ya USE it for (besides Photo/internet) that is!?! Let me have it! L8r!

starshuffler ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 2:43 PM

Aggh... the blue screen of death... shudder Please don't ask me the specs of my IBM... I will embarrass myself with my set-up which basically does everything for me (word processing, graphics, surfing, media playing -movies & music, laundry, dishwashing... hehehe...) :-) (*

Slynky ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 5:08 PM

I ran an AMD 380mhz suck-bot of a computer (should be a whopping 400mhz in a few days), with 192 sdram, 2 monitors (both shizer) a 3dfx Voodoo3 card, and what might be an nvidia scuzball 16meg card (have to wait, I assume the new motherboard has an AGP slot, in which case I'm swiping my girlfriend's old nvidia card). It's nothing great to speak of, but it gets the job done. Next year, around october 2003, I'll be putting 900-1500$ CAN into upgrades, which means I'll prolly have an as of yet non existent AMD Clawhammer cpu or something like that, and it'll have a glass encased monkeybrain instead of a circuitry... or something like that... still, star's puter is MUUUUUCH worse than mine...

Quinn ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 5:10 PM

Well you asked :-}

System at home: Dual 733, 512 RDRAM, two 18 Gig SCSI and one 40Gig IDE HDD, G force 4 Graphics Card. Running Photoshop, 3DS Max, and Games.

Backup Work System: Same as above except two 36 Gig SCSI Drives at RAID 0 and one 72 Gig SCSI HDD, Radeon 8500, and DVD-R. Running Photoshop, 3DS Max, Premierer and Audio apps.

Main Work System: Dual 2Gig, 2Gig RDRAM, two 72 Gig SCSI HDD, Wild Cat 5110 graphics card, two 21 DimondTron Monitors. Running Photoshop, 3DS Max, LightWave, and other graphics type progs. No video apps though, Graphics card cant deal with Direct X.

Before I get Flamed all the apps are legal and Licensed:-)

azy ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 5:47 PM

My system is built by myself 1.7Gig Amd chip, 512 of ram, 40Gig + 10Gig(2 years old) + 5Gig(4 years old), G force 2 Graphics Card, Plextar SCSI cd and cd-r (5 years old), DVD drive, and a 17" Dell Monitor (5 years old and I bought it 2nd hand) I think as I've upgraded though the years, it has saved me money doing all the work myself and buying quality hardware that lasts for years. The cd and cd-r have been a good buy and work perfectly. Software used Bryce 5, Poser 4, Photoshop 7

Eggiwegs! I would like... to smash them!

dhastings ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2002 at 11:05 PM

Dell Inspiron 8100, 1 Ghz PIII, 512 MB ram, 40 GB disk. I wouldn't recommend a laptop unless you need something you can take with you. There's a significant price penalty. In my case, it functions as my office away from home for my theater related paperwork. Applicationwise: Office, Photoshop LE, and as the wheel of interests turns, PovRay, trueSpace, Cakewalk, Acid -daveh

bsteph2069 ( ) posted Wed, 11 September 2002 at 4:29 AM

Wow! You guys take the cake. Talk about power! But I'm not sure you need it with what you seem to be running I guess your stuff works faster. However I'm patient. ME and my new home made system AMD K6-501MHz, upgraded to 320Meg, 28.5HDD-IDE, 9.8HDD IDE, video: Nvidea Geforce 3 Ti 200 ( love the name!), 33.6 modem, and 14 inch monitor.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.