Sat, Sep 21, 9:01 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 1:47 am)

Subject: Dear Curious Labs, won't it hurt to add SMP support for multi-processor system

-Waldo- ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 9:07 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 9:00 AM

Dear Curious Labs, Is it possible to add multiprocessor and network support in patch for Poser 5? With Dymnatic hair and clothing is eating customers alive because it takes alot time to render a picture. It would be nice to patch SMP and network support for customers with multiprocessor machine. If you need some help with SMP script, please let me know. Waldoo

wolf359 ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 9:18 PM
Online Now!

I think multi processor support, like hardware accleration, is not some that can be added to a 3d program after the fact it needs to be built into the core code of the program which would require a major software rewrite.

My website

YouTube Channel

Georgous ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 9:40 PM

oH YOU MEAN LIKE A COMPLETELY NEW RELEASE???

Georgous ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 9:40 PM

oH YOU MEAN LIKE A COMPLETELY NEW RELEASE???

trails2rails ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 9:45 PM

Really, though, when an application is going to be routinely requiring hours of compute time to complete a job (as in animation renders), it is really strange to me that SMP and Network support is not included. It clearly limits what you can realistically accomplish. It's as if Curious does not want to compete with some other product that DOES support larger animation renders, or they plan to offer this as an add on product. But it is sorely needed... Lou

geep ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 10:56 PM

Is this the echo echo chamber? ;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

trails2rails ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 11:18 PM

i thought it was such a great post, i had to submit it twice. sorry, i thought my connection died, and I re-clicked submit and didn't check!

geep ( ) posted Sat, 14 September 2002 at 12:43 AM

Oh, .......................... ok! Did you know that YOU are the ONLY one who has ever done that? ;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

troberg ( ) posted Sat, 14 September 2002 at 2:19 AM

I agree, SMP is the way to go if you want more speed. I don't know if me and my friends are representative of the average user, but 80% of our computers are at least dual processor, some are quads. All of us have home networks, some only two computers, some (like me) 15-20 machines. In our case, SMP support and support for distributed network rendering would make things a lot faster. As long as you don't spread each frame between threads/machines, it should not require that much rewrite. Just give each render thread/machine a frame to work on. /troberg

wolf359 ( ) posted Sat, 14 September 2002 at 7:20 AM
Online Now!

"it should not require that much rewrite. Just give each render thread/machine a frame to work on." Any rewriting CL Does on poser5 will be to fix the Bugs in this release if you really want MP sujpport and hardware accleration you are betteroff saving for a real 3D application that imports poser files like cinema 4DXl or vue or lightwave.

My website

YouTube Channel

ming ( ) posted Sat, 14 September 2002 at 9:46 AM

I don't know anybody with a dual processor or more than 2 computers.

Quoll ( ) posted Sat, 14 September 2002 at 10:45 AM

All of the Macintosh pro-line of computers ship with dual processors. OH!!!!!!! But that doesnt matter does it!!!!! LOL

volfin ( ) posted Sat, 14 September 2002 at 11:06 AM

Well Ming, nice to meet you, now you know someone with a Dual PIII 850mhz and a 5 computer network running in their rec room! I want SMP for Poser too!

troberg ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2002 at 1:14 AM

"if you really want MP sujpport and hardware accleration you are betteroff saving for a real 3D application that imports poser files like cinema 4DXl or vue or lightwave." But I prefer the simplicity of Poser. It does what I need, no fluffy dice I don't need. If they'd made a good, windows standard user interface instead of this messed up strangeness that is part windows, part mac and mainly just strange, they'd saved enough development time to do SMP support and a radiosity renderer (which would be great to remove the plastic look). CL should look at how the user interface works in Visual Studio .Net, especially the properties list which could replace all the dials, color selectors, texture selector and so on. They could also learn how a button should look: nice, square and single color background. I don't have this problem, but I have friends with bad eyesight, and to them the user interface is almost unusable. I don't know why they would use a graphic app, but still... Oh, while I'm whining: Poser really handles multimonitor badly (but not as bad as Bryce...). Especially among people who work with graphics, this should be a common configuration. /Troberg

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.