Fri, Sep 20, 1:45 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: XP - More Memory and Poser 5 ? Help please

SAMS3D ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2002 at 4:34 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 1:42 PM

Okay, I know I can do this just don't know how I can allocate more memory to Poser.exe for it to run better....can anyone help, I read a post today but no description was given...Sharen

Jackson ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2002 at 4:48 PM

file_24058.jpg

Hold down ctrl-alt-del to call up the TaskManager. Click the Processes Tab. Highlight Poser.exe and right-click Mem Usage. Select Set Priority and pick a higher one. See pic. My example doesn't have Poser running cuz mine won't run due to my extreme inexperience with computers and poser.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2002 at 6:00 PM

Thank you so much for this, I can't thank you enough...hope it works a little faster....Sharen PS: really thank you for taking the time to get me a picture too.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2002 at 6:02 PM

What do you mean inexperience with computers and poser...you just showed me....? Sharen

praxis22 ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2002 at 6:29 PM

At a rough guess he's been told by some enlightened soul, that the reason he cant get P5 to run is that he's a newbie, right? :)

Jackson ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2002 at 9:07 PM

That's pretty much the consensus...that people having trouble are either "inexperienced" or haven't read the manual. I read the manual. Twice. Sharen, you're very welcome. I'm very happy to be able to help someone who gives so much to the community. I hope it helped.

queri ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2002 at 10:36 PM

Poser is not on my C drive, is that why it doesn't show up on Processes? Emily

Artist3D ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2002 at 11:05 PM

If Press CTRL ALT DEL I get a Shutdown mode to closae programs running.Where in the world do I get that screen for my WIndows98SE?THanks.

whbos ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2002 at 11:48 PM

That screen is not available in Windows 98. As far as I know its available only in XP.

Poser 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Pro 2014, 11, 11 Pro

Netherworks ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2002 at 11:52 PM

Artist 3D, Windows 9x doesn't have this capability built in. However, there's a freeware utility called "Process Explorer" at http://www.sysinternals.com that might do the trick. For those of you on Windows 2000/XP, there's another way to set the priority for a program without going through the taskbar or CTRL-ALT-DEL. You can make a batch file to do it for you. For Poser, create a new text file and type the following: start /high Poser.exe Save this in you Poser.exe directory as "RunPoser" or something like that and rename the .txt extension to .bat

timoteo1 ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2002 at 12:24 AM

Great Tip Nether ... I forgot all about making a bat to automatically set priority. Nice.

c1rcle ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2002 at 1:19 AM

Anything higher than above normal can potentially crash windows if you have anything else running at the same time as poser.

Netherworks ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2002 at 2:26 AM

Hmm, I've never had any problems personally. I usually run Poser (this is Poser 4, mind you), Photoshop 5.5 and Internet Explorer at the same time. The only thing I can say is if you have crashes or such, either don't multitask OR replace "start /high Poser.exe" with "start /abovenormal Poser.exe" Of course, system specs are also a consideration.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2002 at 3:55 AM

Let me ask you all, if you make the start/high Poser.exe for a bat file, do you put quotes around it? Sharen

c1rcle ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2002 at 4:17 AM

no leave off the quotes or it won't work

SAMS3D ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2002 at 4:28 AM

Thanks for all the help, I am going to give it a shot. Sharen

Jackson ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2002 at 7:59 AM

Emily: the program has to be running to show up in processes. Which drive it's on shouldn't matter.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2002 at 8:08 AM

c1rcle when you say "Anything higher than above normal can potentially crash windows if you have anything else running at the same time as poser", are you refereing to your virus software, or other applications? Sharen PS: there are always things running at the same time that you don't know about right?

c1rcle ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2002 at 10:42 AM

yeah I meant things like outlook, photoshop, internet explorer, word, things that are full of bugs like poser right Jackson? ;) or is it my inexperience with computers? lol

Jackson ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2002 at 8:42 PM

Hehehe! The list has grown: Inexperienced, didn't read the manual, or you just don't like the adjustments you have to make for all the new features.

c1rcle ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2002 at 2:19 AM

whats a computer? you mean I have to adjust for all the new features? I think I'll have to go back to writing games for my C64 ;)

mjtdevries ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2002 at 4:12 AM

Maybe it's time for someone with a bit more experience with computers to respond ;-) The priority settings have nothing to do at all with memory. You cannot assign a program more memory in Windows. That advice is strictly for Mac users. When you start a program in windows XP it will automatically have all memory available that you have installed in your PC. (well actually 2GB, but let's not go that deep into things :-)) So you don't have to do anything about that in windows. Setting a higher priority for a program has to do with the CPU time it receives. When you run just one program it has all CPU time available to it. But when you run multiple programs the CPU time is distributed among them. (They each get a short moment to run on the CPU and then have to wait for the others) When all programs have the same priority, the CPU time will be distributed equally to them. When you select a higher priority for Poser, it will get more CPU time than the other programs. By default Windows XP will already give the foreground applications, (the one you work in at that moment) a higher priority than the background applications. So if you don't run other CPU-hungry applications in the background you won't see much difference when you select a higher priority to Poser. It's only usefull when you run something that uses lots of CPU in the background. (Like a Bryce render) and don't want Poser to be slowed down by it. Hope this helps. Marc

Jackson ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2002 at 7:48 AM

Hey, c1rcle, I wrote a game for the C64 once. Published it, too. Ever heard of "Tunes 'n Trivia?" I did that (barely broke even tho so I quit). It was on TV once. mjtdevries: LOL! It's obvious you're more experienced, you didn't mention a problem with P5. And: "You cannot assign a program more memory in Windows" I thought that myself but, with my level of experience being what it is, I figured it best not to say anything. Thanks for stepping in.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2002 at 8:27 AM

Thank you Marc for the well explained answer....I truly did learn and appreciate it...Sharen

mjtdevries ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2002 at 9:08 AM

Jackson: The reason I don't have problems with P5 is because I live in Europe.......

SAMS3D ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2002 at 9:26 AM

LOL....:-)

c1rcle ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2002 at 10:02 AM

lol I don't have problems with it either ;)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.