Sat, Sep 21, 9:52 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 1:47 am)

Subject: Lights and GOBO's with P5 materials

JeffH ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2002 at 4:14 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 9:35 AM

file_24315.jpg

The pattern you see across the figure is being cast by a single spotlight.

It's called a "Gobo" if I remember correctly.

I added a black & white tile pattern to the light materials and got this effect.

I don't know if it can be made to behave like a real gobo, maybe a shade of gray should be used instead of black.

Start experimenting :-)

-Jeff

Spike ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2002 at 4:20 PM

Can make some very cool blinds looks. Very cool stuff..

You can't call it work if you love it... Zen Tambour

JeffH ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2002 at 4:26 PM

I'm wondering if a light can be turned into a movie projector :-)

Spike ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2002 at 4:44 PM

:) I think it can...

You can't call it work if you love it... Zen Tambour

SAMS3D ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2002 at 4:50 PM

very nice, I love it...Sharen

JeffH ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2002 at 4:56 PM

file_24316.jpg

Single images seem to work okay if you adjust the light properties. I don't have a small enough clip to test a movie with.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2002 at 5:08 PM

file_24317.jpg

>> *I'm wondering if a light can be turned into a movie projector :-)*

Oh, yes, indeed!

JeffH ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2002 at 5:43 PM

Hehe cool :-)

maclean ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2002 at 8:24 PM

Yep Jeff. A 'gobo' or 'flag' is mostly used to 'flag' off light from spilling into the camera lens, but it can equally well be used to cast shadows. Generally a gobo in a photographic studio is solid, usually made from cloth stretched over a metal frame, or just black card. What you have in the top pic would be called a 'honeycomb' and fits over the light's reflector dish to create the honeycomb pattern. The real honeycomb effect would be less marked and larger, since it's difficult to get a tight, clearly defined shadow with most real lights. Yours looks really good. I made a few of these in poser 4 for my photo studio at daz, but this way saves an awful lot of hassle. mac

sharwebb ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2002 at 11:42 PM

Hi, Just how DO you add a pattern to a light material? I can't find anything about it in the manual. Thanks. Sharon

JeffH ( ) posted Thu, 19 September 2002 at 12:24 AM

Add one of the pattern nodes to the diffuse channel of the light material. A simple B&W image would do I think too.

sharwebb ( ) posted Thu, 19 September 2002 at 12:32 AM

Thanks, Jeff...I'll try it. :-)

gorak33 ( ) posted Thu, 19 September 2002 at 2:49 AM

We learned about Gobos in my theater class... I had no idea P5 could do something that cool...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.