Sun, Oct 6, 5:56 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Max headroom

camel ( ) posted Fri, 20 September 2002 at 6:16 PM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 12:38 AM

This is off topic, but I have to know.
I have just seen, after many years, the music clip from art of noise, Paranoimia with Max headroom, and I looked at all his expressions.
To much to mention, and very good.
Was this real 3D? Or a smart thing with a actor.
Maybe I am nostalgic, but I like to have a poser max headroom.

boblowery ( ) posted Fri, 20 September 2002 at 6:55 PM

I read somewhere once upon a time that all of the work was actually a well made up people person. Mmmmaxx Headdddroom was really a kuhl dude and it would be cool to do it now but if it was anything but a personal thing on one's own computer would one not get into some hassle about copyrights?

Cage ( ) posted Fri, 20 September 2002 at 7:10 PM

Max Headroom was an actor, not an animation. I think his name was Matt Frewer, although I'm not sure I've spelled his name correctly. There was probably some computer processing involved, but I don't know what kind of process was used....

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 20 September 2002 at 7:10 PM

The "real" Max Headroom was the actor, Matt Frewer, who also played a real person in the Max Headroom action series (yes, there was one - and it wasn't bad). The digital effects were done with makeup and dicking around with the video frame rates etc. FYI, the characters in the series were/are owned by Chrysalis music.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

servo ( ) posted Fri, 20 September 2002 at 7:11 PM

From what I've read, Actor Matt Frewer was fitted with contacts and a makeup head appliance, and video bluscreened in realtime. The moving BG effects were composited in later, along with the trademark periodic stuttering edits. In some live "interviews" with Max on TV, technicians did this on-the-fly with a live composite and digital sound delay. Every now and then some stretching and squashing of his image would also be done with digital video effects (DVE). As far as copying him goes, The name and exact likeness are trademarks, but I've seen lots of parodies of him, in everything from Doonesbury to Back To The Future.

Gwiz ( ) posted Fri, 20 September 2002 at 7:30 PM

That TV series only aired a few episodes...The pilot was pretty good...but lost me after about 2 episodes. I remember Letterman interviewing Headroom on his old NBC show. Big TV sceen sitting on top of Lettermans desk...At the time I remember believing it was all computer generated. It was that believable. Frewer was hilarious, and quick enough to keep up with Dave. Frewer still pops up on various shows..I remember an episode of Star Trek TNG where he played a con man from the future.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 20 September 2002 at 8:04 PM

Frewer also starred as the main character in Lawnmower Man 2, which was apparently even worse than the first one.

My Store

My Gallery

Marque ( ) posted Fri, 20 September 2002 at 8:58 PM

Max Headroom is running now on TechTV. All the episodes are there. Marque

wdupre ( ) posted Fri, 20 September 2002 at 9:14 PM

Really Marque? which version? too bad I don't get tech TV. there were actually two series the british one was about a half a dozen shows then an american version which the first half dozen were done from the exact same scripts with many of the same actors with some american actors taking the place of british ones though the main actors stayed the same (my favorits were syd and reg who ran a pirate telivision station) Jeffrey Tambor was in the american version. Frewer played dual charicters, Edison Carter, (freelance news/camera man) and Max Headroom. the whole show had a gritty Bladerunner feel and ran for a dozen or so shows. the thing is that though the show was interesting and rather well written, Max got amazingly annoying after a while and you just wanted to get back to edison carter. I know, way more then anyone wanted to know about it but in my opinion this was a show that could have run several seasons if it wasn't for the title charicter.

sturkwurk ( ) posted Fri, 20 September 2002 at 10:31 PM
Online Now!

Matt Frewer has made several appearances in tv and film... the ones that stand out in my memory are.. Honey I Shrunk the Kids (The neighbor) Pink Panther Cartoon (The voice of Pink) He does a lot of cartoon voices, but my favorite was the television series "Doctor Doctor" way ahead of it's time. oh and how could I forget... He's in the Monty Python Movie "The Meaning of Life" I have an old VHS computer graphics show that picks on Mas Headroom, as a digital 3d character makes a speech for digital characters rights and that Max is taking jobs from them.

I came, I rendered, I'm still broke.

zombiestudio ( ) posted Sat, 21 September 2002 at 12:35 AM

He was also the dad on "Shakey Ground", a short lived show on Fox. :)

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 21 September 2002 at 7:25 AM

Ok, here's one from the recesses of my memory - Frewer also did a voiceover for an ad promoting a sugar free candy called Velamints. :) I dunno if this aired outside the UK, so maybe you won't have seen it. The ads featured a white horse running through snow. Maybe we should start a Matt Frewer forum now. :D

My Store

My Gallery

maclean ( ) posted Sat, 21 September 2002 at 2:21 PM

Burn me up! Burn me up, burn me up! I still have that vid on VHS. Too cool! mac (Is that my teasmaid?)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.