Fri, Sep 20, 11:45 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Best way to reduce large line-art scans in Photoshop??!!!

pdog ( ) posted Sat, 21 September 2002 at 2:30 PM · edited Wed, 04 September 2024 at 1:18 PM

I did some significant retouching of some line-art scans in Photoshop before realizing that the resulting file sizes are way too large (like 50MB)...I'm no scanning at an appropriate/lower resolution. Having done the line retouching, is there a BEST way to reduce the file size which will result in minimal distortion/pixelization of the line art? I suspect there are several ways to go about it (such as a proportional file size reduction command), but I'm wondering if there are different ways and which is cleanest. Thanks So Much, pdog

Heronheart ( ) posted Sat, 21 September 2002 at 9:31 PM

Reducing image size is usually no problem, You'll lose some of the detail so you might want to use the sharpen filter first, then go to Image/Image Size and have at it. - Ken Heronheart -

Slynky ( ) posted Sun, 22 September 2002 at 2:12 PM

lineart is solid black and white work, meaning that if you were to save the file as a .tif format file with lzw compression (100% lossless compression btw, ingenious stuff),` expect your file size to drop to a few megs at most. One of my old works, The Grudge, was a 550+ meg photoshop file (this included all the layer information, but it really was a massive file) and it shrunk to about 40 megs with tif and lzw. A more recent thing of mine, Val and AI (in the 2D forum) is a 30 meg or so tif file without lzw (Expresion doesn't give the option for LZW compression when exporting). Reopen in photoshop and resave with lzw, and the same file is now a paltry 1.89 megs. for info on what LZW actually is, I've gone over it a few times in photoshop and 2D Graphics forums i believe, just do a search.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.