Fri, Sep 20, 6:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: do you make free stuff?

rodzilla ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 4:30 AM · edited Mon, 16 September 2024 at 6:59 PM

well i don't know if this was ever mentioned here before,and it doesn't seem to be all that common knowledge in most places...and also excuse me if this maybe belongs somewhere else in another forum,but for those who make free stuff or even those in the marketplace,did you know that windows will make an installation package for you?for any files you tell it too?[win2k and XP for sure..98/ME? probably,read on and give it a try] i'm sure we've all had our share of fun with zip files and the like...so the next time you contemplate releasing something this way try this....click on START > RUN and type " iexpress "[without the quotes of course!]this starts up the wizard...it's pretty self explanatory as it goes through the process,you get to type in what it asks when the end user clicks on the final exe file[ie:this is gonna install stuff!you sure 'bout that buddy?]you can also force the user to read and accept your EULA just like the big boys[or any text file you like really],this screen can also be used to give instructions on where to extract things in the next step,where it pops up the browse box to let you extract the contained files wherever you wish or to just show your "readme file"....i like this little windows wizard,it generates a fairly professional looking installer,with all the standard windows ummm "windows" and most of us probably already have it...so try it out for yourself it only takes a minute or two to make one up and then test it out to see how it works for you

SAMS3D ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 4:41 AM

This sounds great, but will it be available for Mac users to use, I use PC, but I also now that the Mac users can't use some installers for PC...Sharen

rodzilla ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 4:53 AM

yes i did consider the mac question after i posted this...i seriously doubt they would be able to run an exe generated from this prog..it's very much windows based. the files are however able to be opened by winzip,just like exe files generated by that program...i would imagine any MAC user that could cope with zip files could "probably" deal with these as well...but don't hold me to that!

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 5:01 AM

Hey this is cool. Only thing is I don't like installing .exe files from "unknown" peeps and I bet I'm not the only one who feels this way. Also I like to be able to see what exactely is in the file and what goes where (now I'm referring to zips) So that if I can't find an item in my huge Poser libraries I can check the zip to see where it actually put the stuff. But the program/feature itself is a gem. Didn't even know about it. Thanks for sharing :o)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

TygerCub ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 5:04 AM

Just as a general warning... Because of the things that can be hidden inside of them, many folks don't like ".exe" files. I for one, won't run an .exe unless it's from a commercial merchant, or someone I know and trust. Several months ago, I found a .dll file stashed amongst the goodies in a zip file. There was no "good" reason for it to be there, and I had a chance to ditch it because I could open the .zip and look inside before installing. Unless there is a utility out there that gives folks the option of looking inside an .exe before installing, I wouldn't recommend installing an .exe from a free-site.

rodzilla ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 5:13 AM

like i said,these files are essentially zip files!the wizard just puts a nice little windows "front end" on things...if you want to, you can open them up with winzip and see what's inside and then extract things that way if you like...personally i scan everything that enters my computer for virii...zip files included,i don't see this as an issue unless you have poor habits regarding this stuff in the first place.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 5:14 AM

Thanks for the info though....could give them an option if they want zip or exe....I tried it and it does work well. Sharen PS: I screwed up part of it though, it wouldn't install, must have given it a wrong path...I will keep working on it though, cause it is cool

Schlabber ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 5:20 AM

That's interestant to know :o) It would be more helpfull if we all would use self-explanatory names for our files like poses-schlabber-mikevickysleeping.zip (for example) ... I for myself don't like exe-files for Poserstuff 'cause I know where my files belong to and I love to keep track on what is installed on my PC. Shame on me also - I never did that before, but will do so from now on ...

lesbentley ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 5:31 AM

Sounds interesting, but iexpress doesn't exist on my installation of Windows98 SE. From the name it sounds like it may be bundled with some version of Internet Explorer (I'm running IE 5.00).

Ironbear ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 5:34 AM

Cool info, thanks.

"I am a good person now and it feels... well, pretty much the same as I felt before (except that the headaches have gone away now that I'm not wearing control top pantyhose on my head anymore)"

• Monkeysmell

Netherworks ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 6:39 AM

Wow, cool :)

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 7:18 AM

lesbentley, I'm running IE 5 here and HAS the iexpress, so it's apparently NOT in the web browser. I AM however running Win2K so I suspect it to be windowsrelated. Can't wait to get home and try it out on my home XP :O)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

morganah ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 7:36 AM

Awesome, thanks for sharing the info. It could definately come in handy someday. As much as I like the ease of installing an exe for poser files, I'd be hesitant to install exe's from random merchants. I know that most people here would be honest about it, but it only takes one good virus to screw up your system. If you can actually open them up with winnzip first as you say, then that's a different story.

Dizzie ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 11:16 AM

Attached Link: http://www.calwell.ca/articles/a0022.php

IExpress comes with Win XP but works in other versions of windows...but here is an article telling about it and what 3 files to get from XP so you can use it on other windows systems....which is what I did..My laptop came with XP so I got the 3 files to use on my Win ME system... http://www.calwell.ca/articles/a0022.php

Lyrra ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 4:00 PM

Personally I will not use any exe file not made by a reputable commercial firm. Period - no debate. And at any rate, when I'm installing a btach of new stuff it goes into a dummy dir, so I can tidy everything up before installing in my real runtime. I tend to think that if soemone is bright enough to use poser - they're bright enough to put the files in the right places.

EricTorstenson ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 7:18 PM

I agree with some of the others. Free stuff that comes in an exe is of no interest to me. I don't care if you scan for viruses, there are still other things that people can sneak into an executable (trojans, phone home junk, etc) Unless you can view the contents before it extracts, I won't use it. By distributing items in a self extracting zip file, you risk losing those who are unwilling to take a risk (how are they to know it is a zip file with some additional info?) Zips are easy enough, if done properly, not to mention the benefit of allowing mac users to be able to extract and translate the contents. EXEs are a 1 way street and should be used only for relavent things (like software distribution) Poser files are data files, nothing more. This is useful information, and I do appreciate your sharing it. Winzip also allows a similar function (although i think there are limits to it's ability) eric

bikermouse ( ) posted Sat, 05 October 2002 at 6:35 AM

Thanks, you made my day. Hope I can remember this when the time comes. - TJ

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.