Fri, Sep 20, 4:48 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 4:32 pm)

Subject: Library Shifting

jarm ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 11:59 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 4:44 PM

OK, been using Poser 5 for a week now and am happy with it's stability enough to move my whole P4 runtime library to P5's. My question is has anybody else just done a straight copy? I am a little concerned if any of the P5 stuff will be overwriting (i.e, same names files that are in both P4 and P5). Hopefully somebody else has already done this and can confirm it's OK. best wishes Jody

c1rcle ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 12:03 PM

be careful not to copy any of the python folders as Poser5 has a newer version, the only folders I'd be looking to move would be geometries & anything non standard in the libraries folder

c1rcle ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 12:04 PM

ps you could just leave it where it is & delete everything else

jarm ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 12:06 PM

The problem I have is when I save a Poser file in 5 and import into Vue, as an example, Vue then moans about where to find all the P4 stuff that I may have used. Think I'll do a good old fashioned back-up and give it a whirl. best wishes Jody

c1rcle ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 12:08 PM

good luck :)

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 12:14 PM

Don't move the runtime!!!!! you link to the runtime from with in P5!!!!

Tirjasdyn

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 12:17 PM

In p5 open the library click on figures, click on the up arrow folder till you get to a poser 5 and a downloads folder, click onthe + at the bottom of the screen and locate your p4 runtime...it will then add everthing!!! Kupa if you read this put these directions on the site, i don't know how many people have screwed thing up by moving there old runtimes

Tirjasdyn

jarm ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 12:19 PM

Yes I have it all linked, but the problem is that when I save as for a vue import, the links to the P4 stuff is still pointing to the original runtime, so when Vue imports it wants to know where all the P4 residing files are, that could include dozens of files if it's a complex/larg scene. So the theory is to drop in the runtime folder from P4 to P5 and see what happens. I'll back-up unaltered P5 runtime first and see what happens. Best wishes Jody

c1rcle ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 12:19 PM

yep you can link it, but it doesn't help with Vue not being able to find the textures, not sure what to suggest for that one

diegos ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 12:57 PM

Hi, This is what I did: 1) Be shure Im not going to use Poser 4 any more in my life! 2) Copy the Poser 5 Libraries, Python, Sketches, Geometries and Texture directories into the old Poser 4 Runtime. 3) This way a overwrite the files with the same name in the correct way. 4) Move those directories to the Poser 5 Runtime. 5) Light a candle 6) And all works fine to me. :-D

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 1:44 PM

if you move your p4 runtime then you won't be able to load files into p5, as they will still be looking for the orignal pathes.

Tirjasdyn

c1rcle ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 2:01 PM

that really depends which texture references your files use, if they use the full path or the :runtime:textures type of path, the full path c:directory?poser4runtimetextures will definately cause you problems, but the other one will work fine even after you move the files to Poser5, CorrectReference by Hogwarden will sort out the referneces for you, great program but be sure to only use it on the Poser4 files for now, not sure what it would do to the Poser5 stuff

herr67 ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 3:32 PM

I moved my P4 texture, libraries, goemetries dirs and then used CorrectReference and all works fine. Some words of wisdom, COPY the files don't move them or P4 will not run.

Terry Mitchell ( ) posted Fri, 04 October 2002 at 6:13 PM

I, too, ccopied all my P4 Runtime files into P5, but was careful not to overwrite anything that is unique to P5 content. Didn't have to use CorrectReference, and P5 finds everything without problem. BTW, the reason I did it this way is because I had a well organized P4 Runtime library structure that I wanted P5 to mimic, and I didn't want to have to maintain future downloads on two different Runtime Library structures (P4 and P5), plus I wanted to be able to remove P4 entirely from my hard drive. Now I see with the new P5 patch (and, no doubt all future ones) that I may have to backup and reinstall the current P5 Runtime library (and uninstall/re-install P5 plus the patch) or else risk losing my existing Runtime, or not having it updated correctly (or at least not having the original P5 content updated correctly). No sweat. I'll do it if that's what it takes to maintain my new custom P4 Runtime library structure.

Intel Core I7 3090K 4.5 GhZ (overclocked) 12-meg cache CPU, 32 Gig DDR3 memory, GeoForce GTX680 2gig 256 Bit PCI Express 3.0 graphic card, 3 Western Difgital 7200 rpm 1 Tb SATA Hard Drives

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.