Fri, Sep 20, 3:25 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Upgrade from 6 to 7

PoisenedLily ( ) posted Mon, 07 October 2002 at 2:44 PM · edited Mon, 02 September 2024 at 3:28 PM

I have version 6 of PS, and I was wondering if anyone has upgraded from 6 to 7 and if it's worht the money? And also do PS 6 brushes work with version 7? Thanks :)

retrocity ( ) posted Mon, 07 October 2002 at 3:14 PM

Version 7 has a really "REVd up" Brush Engine and lets you build your own brushes a whole lot easier. Because i do digital art for a living, that made it worth the upgrade for me.

retrocity ( ) posted Mon, 07 October 2002 at 3:18 PM

oh, and your brushes should load just fine, in fact once you load in your old brushes, you'll have a lot of new brush parameteres you can play around with.

:)
retrocity

ladydawg ( ) posted Mon, 07 October 2002 at 3:18 PM

Cim, You can do alot more with the brushes...Especially those tattoo brushes I had....Alot better capabilities...

retrocity ( ) posted Mon, 07 October 2002 at 3:29 PM

PS7 uses a new serial number scheme so plugin's with PS6 serial numbers as copy protection will run fine when you load the older PS6 serial number in the Plug-In preferences. Other plugins can just be moved into the Plug-In folder.

;)
retrocity

quixote ( ) posted Mon, 07 October 2002 at 4:11 PM

The healing brush...the healing brush... HEAL!!! HEAL!!!!

Un coup de dés jamais n'abolira le hazard
S Mallarmé

trick-art ( ) posted Mon, 07 October 2002 at 6:41 PM

True enough, as I've been using Photoshop since it was called Knoll Photoshop (before Adobe bought the program rights), I can safely say that PS7 is perhaps the most intelligent upgrade yet. I can't say it was quite as sexy an upgrade as the version 5 to 6 transition which introduced Liquify and enhanced the Extraction utility along with all the new layer effects...but it certainly is the smartest. There is one thing that upgraded in Photoshop 7 that Adobe didn't even know about, and apparently, I brought it to their attention at the Seybold Conference last month...Since the program was developed with OS's like XP and OSX in mind, the memory management system was upgraded considerably to handle itself more responsibly. This doesn't sound like much, until you figure that the upgrades extend to previous OS's as well (I'm running Mac OS9 on a really old machine). Photoshop, surprise, is a memory hog. It takes as much memory as it can possibly handle, and then takes a little more. 7 does the same thing, except unlike its predecessors, it puts it back when it's not using it, meaning that when Photoshop isn't the active application and isn't working on anything (running a filter or something), it surrenders the RAM back to the system as though it wasn't running at all. Plus, while the program's active, it actually manages its own processor allocations...leaving the system to do more important things. So to sum up, typically newer versions of software require more RAM to operate, and usually slow down older systems...this is the first update that does the opposite. It's even repaired memory leaks caused by other programs (Internet Explorer and Quicktime Player being the two biggest culprits) when it needs to access the leftover memory that they didn't put away upon quitting. For people trying to save time and increase productivity, I'd say PS7 is one of the wisest investments you can make...just be sure that you also invest some time and effort into getting trained with it. Getting a program like Photoshop to appear professional, without getting trained with it, will make one look like an idiot. I've seen it happen...it's not pretty. (It is a bit funny, though.)

Wolfsnap ( ) posted Tue, 08 October 2002 at 3:39 AM

If, by any chance, you're running a Mac with OSX - it's the best money you'll ever spend! (Can't vouch for the improvements on other OS's, but the fact that it runs native in OSX and the SPEED that it runs - WOW! (Of course, I'm on a dual-gig G4. PS7 makes use of the dual processors to really get the speed up!)

BrianR ( ) posted Wed, 09 October 2002 at 3:15 PM

Hmmm....sounds like I might just upgrade after all...up until now I'd not even looked at it for fear of spending yet more money...lol

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.