Mon, Sep 16, 10:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 16 7:48 pm)

Subject: OK...what's this one ???

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 09 October 2002 at 9:57 PM · edited Mon, 02 September 2024 at 2:17 PM

I'm sorry..it never ends... I have a very simple scene...Don...with a beard. I'm set to draft mode... FACE camera... I hit render..it goes through the loading textures, adding objects, then render..but there is nothing in the picture. Where did it go ???? Tried main camera...same thing Then tried render to new window...just a big black square...

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 09 October 2002 at 9:58 PM

P4 render within P5 does work

Kendra ( ) posted Wed, 09 October 2002 at 10:25 PM

I've noticed that in draft renders. Not everything shows up.

...... Kendra

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 09 October 2002 at 11:00 PM

hmmmm...well that's a really helpful renderer...nothing showed up :) i tried to view from different cameras, different rendering options, etc etc...nothing.... This was also happening with the production render, not just draft

wdupre ( ) posted Wed, 09 October 2002 at 11:09 PM

sorry you're still having problems Dave, It may cheer you some that it has been stated elsewhere that larry weinberg is working on another patch perhaps this is the one that will fix your problems.

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 09 October 2002 at 11:27 PM

I'm not sure I can wait for the second patch.... This is getting real close to my limit. I've sent quite a few bug messages to CL as well, and have not heard back from them on any except a couple of the first ones prior to the patch release. That kinda ticks me off a bit as well....

Farside ( ) posted Thu, 10 October 2002 at 12:05 AM

Instead of driving yourself buggy and bitching and crying in here every twenty minutes, why don't you just delete it, go back to P4 and shut the hell up. Consider it a life lesson... NEVER buy software until it's been out at least a few months. Look at Microsoft, over twenty years and they still can't get a version of windows to work worth a damn and that's with unlimited resources. What did you realistically expect here (your answer will determine how naive you are)?

Eowyn ( ) posted Thu, 10 October 2002 at 2:56 AM

If it's working so nicely for "everyone" else, why the heck shouldn't he expect it to work for him as well? A few minor bugs are of course allowed but if the program is practically unusable, I'd say he has a right to complain. I appreciate hearing about his problems just as much as I appreaciate hearing other people's positive comments. One day I will have to make the decision too: whether to buy the program or not. You don't have to read his threads if you're so sick of them. I, for one, am sick of seeing people tell others to shut the hell up if they're not happy with P5. Everyone has the right to post here, negative or positive.

Farside ( ) posted Thu, 10 October 2002 at 3:13 AM

I don't mind hearing a person's opinion but I don't need it repeated a hundred times over. It's kind of telling when less than one tenth of one percent of Renderosity's members are doing ninty five percent of the complaining. Makes it seem like the problem is a lot wider spread than it really probably is because most wouldn't notice it's the same guy starting thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread of complaints.

lemur01 ( ) posted Thu, 10 October 2002 at 4:48 AM

Dave-So is having problems with Poser. He is posting in the poser forum hoping for some help. He certainly doesn't deserve to be attacked for doing so, no matter how many times he posts. This is, after all, what this forum is for (your answer will determine how arrogant you are). Jack

BrianR ( ) posted Thu, 10 October 2002 at 6:41 AM

Hope Farside isn't running a customer relations department :O)...I'd rather here Dave's problems/comments any day...if I had the issues he's got I'd be posting them here too! Just a thought Farside but if you see Dave's posted again then er....don't read it.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 10 October 2002 at 7:17 AM

What ticks me is to see arrogant sh*theads telling people to shut up the second they say anything that the person doesn't like to hear. Seems rather dictator-like to me. Sorta like "I am the only person who posesses the TRUTH, so all you peeps just shut the **** up" Farside.. yor really ARE heading for the far side of sanity with those remarks.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Turtle ( ) posted Thu, 10 October 2002 at 8:38 AM

Eowyn, I agree with you and how refeshing to hear someone be so nice to Dave. Dave don't shoot out your computer, I know you have tried everything humanly possible to get this to work.

Love is Grandchildren.

Dave-So ( ) posted Thu, 10 October 2002 at 9:03 AM

I have been approached by a person here who is going to assist me in trying to figure this out. I do appreciate the support that has been given here...and even in Farside's defense...even though I think he or she is a twit, the point about being naive is right on...I am not, and in fact have spoken to CL about returning Poser 5, and we have an agreement in place.... However...I have been using Poser since version 1, and I consider myself a pretty loyal fan of the product, and really want to make Poser 5 work on my system, and other's that may be seeing the same thing. Perhaps my approach here has been in the form of whining and bitching, I will apologize if that seems to be the case, but where else but the Poser forum to get helpful advice. Yes, I can ditch Poser 5, and I would expect my cash be returned, even if it is not CLs policy to do so, condsidering they admitted it was rushed out the door with content not in, and "non-critical" bugs present. CL tech support has not returned comment on any of my bug reports, thus I am forced to come here for help, which is usually the better place to go anyway, because these are the folks actually using the program...they have worked around many issues, and have found things that cause problems. I'm at least willing to give it a go, unlike Farside who apparently has it working, or probably didn't even buy it... it is my usual policy to not buy software until its been out awhile, for this very reason, but as a loyal Poser fan, I jumped in right away...its probably another reason I'm so pissed...at myself as much as anything for going against my usual software buying deal.

wdupre ( ) posted Thu, 10 October 2002 at 9:39 AM

Dave as one of the people who has'nt had any problems i want to go on record as saying I don't mind your rants. you are obviously having problems that are far beyond those of others and you articulate them well without resorting to calling other people liers or accusing them of calling you a lier. If you need to get your frustrations out here go ahead. it only hurts those with thin skins.

Dave-So ( ) posted Thu, 10 October 2002 at 9:50 AM

bloodsong ( ) posted Thu, 10 October 2002 at 10:26 AM

heyas; dave, did you look at the figure options and properties and such? this shouldn't be a problem, but there's a property under p5 that is 'visible in ray tracing.' if this is unchecked (it should be checked on the stuff you are using, but who knows what happened), then things won't appear in the ray tracing. now, (also supposedly) this should only affect reflections and maybe shadows. that is, i THINK it is supposed to render the object but not its reflection, when that option is un-checked. well, it's a long shot, but it's a thought. i had something like this happen to me just yesterday. i had a render lockup (and this was in p4), and i did a save, and imported the pz3 back into poser (to prevent that endless render bug), and one prop would NOT render. it was very strange. but when i replaced it, it worked. which is also probably no help. :/

Dave-So ( ) posted Thu, 10 October 2002 at 6:45 PM

bloodsong, I'll check that out ...thanks... P5 does some strange things...somehow items seem to get checked and unchecked by some mysterious force... Even the locked up render problem I was having...there was a hair texture assigned to the hair displacement channel... i know I did not load a texture there...never even changed anything other than the root and tip colors...

bloodsong ( ) posted Fri, 11 October 2002 at 6:33 PM

hmmm... gremlins? ;) yeah, i know my 'non-animating' cameras suddenly start animating soon as i hit the cloth room. ::sigh::

doldridg ( ) posted Fri, 11 October 2002 at 8:31 PM

I've had this same non-render render experience, too. I notice that it occurs mostly when I'm rendering to a larger window than the current document window. That's a clue that the renderer is running out of memory. Hair (your beard) is REALLY consumptive of memory. When I try to render hair, I usually get commit charges up over 700Mb (on a 256Mb machine) and the available Ram often falls to a megabyte or less. When that happens you are slowed to a standstill and I think Firefly's equivalent of the P4 "not enough disk space" message is to just not produce any picture. This is a bug all right! The workaround is to try to scrimp down on memory and make sure you have lots of disk space available (and I mean LOTS) for the render. Both hair and cloth use extra disk space and even a gigabyte of empty drive space may not be enough. Still, it should error out and message you, not just render and present you with a blank window.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.