Fri, Sep 20, 4:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Contest Announcements

Welcome to the Contest Announcements Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic, msansing Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Contest Announcements F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 1:44 am)

Subject: Card Contest Wind down

rross128 ( ) posted Tue, 08 October 2002 at 7:35 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 4:29 AM

As everyone knows, or should know, the card contest is heading for the final stretch. Next week starts the 3's, in which I was planning a generations theme (i.e. the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's.) For the 2's, I haven't set anything in stone, but I have a few idea's. There are still a couple contest ideas I haven't used yet.

1. Compass (North, east, west and south)
  2. The 4 horseman (Death, Disease, Pestilence, and the Plague???)
    and a couple more I'd have to search through my archive to get so I'll post them later.

Just recently, someone brought up the fact, since it's going to be the last contest, why don't we just open it up to free form, which I thought was a very good idea, also. So here's my solution, since it is going to be the last of the card, why don't we just keep it open and you all tell me what it is you want. In other words, YOU PICK THE THEME. Besides, I think I've picked enough, now it's your turn. Whatever seems to have the best response by the time the 2's pop up, will be what it is.

Cheers,
Rick

P.S. Let's try and get everyone as much people to participate as possible, finish this thing off with a bang, eh?

rross128 ( ) posted Wed, 09 October 2002 at 6:40 PM

Here are some ideas I've recieved for the card contest.

From electroglyph
The Fates - Past present and future,
The Graces - Faith Hope and Charity.

Coa- City Life, Underwater Life, Interplanetary Life, Country Life

talisman018 - card games, board games, dice games (including craps and yahtzee), and family fun activities (includes pool, horseshoes, darts and what have you)

archetype - Colors (Red, blue, silver, gold, etc)

lgp692000 - balance of nature (yin-yang) man and women, or good and evil.

m7csat -

• Sports (by season)
  • Games (chance, board, card, computer)
  • Specific eras in general
  • Fantasy Game Characthers (Knight, Rogue, Thief, Wizard)
  • Travel desitinations / locations / landmarks
  • Birds / Pets / Animals by size or type

Wanda Burns & Flybynightmare - Four Horsemen Of The Apocolypse - war, famine, pestilence, and death

ringbearer - Transportation-rail, road, air, sea
Mammals, insects, reptiles, amphibians, etc-something along those lines maybe, walk, crawl, swim, fly
Food related or sports related

Wanda Burns - four cardinal directions, i.e, North,
South, East and West? or variations thereof, like North to
Alaska, or South of the Border, or East of Eden, or Go West Young Man

Me - Family (Father, Mother, Sun and Daughter :)

Let me know what you think, PLEASE!!!!!

rross128 ( ) posted Wed, 09 October 2002 at 6:53 PM

Pauli - I thought about Carnival - 1. Carnival of Venice with noble masks and precious costume 2. Carnival of Switzerland (Baseler Fastnacht) with terrific masks to drive out the winter. 3. Carnival in Rio with tropical abundance and steamy outfits. 4. Carnival along the River Rhine in Germany. All is allowed, no restrictions, let it be simply crazy.(May be better is a "Express yourself - round", where everybody can choose his or her favourite diguise).

sturkwurk ( ) posted Wed, 09 October 2002 at 9:28 PM

How about... Comic Book Genre's Funny Animal/Superhero/Romance/Horror Music Rock/Country/Gospel/Classical (jazz/pop/soul/rap etc) High scool Freshman/Sophamore/Junior/Senior

I came, I rendered, I'm still broke.

troberg ( ) posted Thu, 10 October 2002 at 4:24 AM

While all good images, the card set has very little feeling of being a set. The images are very different, different color scales, different layout, different scope, different motives. I realize it is a bit late to whine about this, but if a new contest is started, I think these things should be considered. Each suite should be given a theme and a color scale, and each value (Is that the correct word? English is not my primary language.) should have a theme, so that each card should be of the basic theme of the suite, but with the twist from the value. Some guidelines concerning content, perspective and so on would also help to enhance the feel that it is ONE deck of cards, not a mix from 52 different decks. It would be more difficult for the participants, but I'm sure we like a good challenge. /Troberg

Little Red ( ) posted Thu, 10 October 2002 at 11:51 PM

Illustrating a quote from a favorite book: classical/humor/thriller/scientific By the way, I think you've done an awesome job of running the contest.

enax ( ) posted Fri, 11 October 2002 at 8:52 AM

Compass (North, east, west and south)

I think it's a good theme, with a lot of possibilities

Crasher ( ) posted Fri, 11 October 2002 at 12:02 PM

I sort of like the Four Horseman idea myself. Except they're: Death, War, Famine, and Conquest (Or the Conqueror) Something like that. Might not be perfectly right. But I -think- Pestilence was one of the actual horses. "And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a BOW; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer." - Conquest "And there went out another horse that was RED: and power was given to him that sat thereon to take peace from the earth, and that they should kill one another: and there was given unto him a great sword." - War "And I beheld, and lo a black horse; and he that sat on him had a pair of balances in his hand." - Famine "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was DEATH, and HELL followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth." - Death So there's my two cents.

rross128 ( ) posted Fri, 11 October 2002 at 3:14 PM

When someone first brought up the compases, I loved the idea, but I thought it would be even better if instead of doing 4 contest, we had people in teams come up with the images and let them work on it. But with the semi-participation we've been getting, I don't think we could get enough people to make it worth while. If that's something people want to do, we'd have to start making teams like now. P.S. Thanks for the complement, Red :)

Crasher ( ) posted Fri, 11 October 2002 at 3:35 PM

Teams are good. We pick our own partners, come together on one image, submit it and go from there? Not sure if that's what you meant.

rross128 ( ) posted Fri, 11 October 2002 at 3:49 PM

Well, kind of you pick your teams, come together, kind of colabarate on all four cards and post them all together. I'd be one contest for all four cards. and the final image would have the four cards together showing how they create a compase. The forums won't let me show what I was thinking, maybe I'll try and create something over the weekend to show what I mean. I could probably expand the contest to 2 (maybe even the whole 4 weeks) if people really want to do it.

Chia ( ) posted Fri, 11 October 2002 at 5:51 PM

The Four Horseman idea is great (and I always thought it was War, Famine, Pestilence and Death), but I think it might be nice to give the non-Poser crowd a better chance--something that doesn't require characters. I like the compass idea, or how about something that plays on the idea of twos? Like, Lovers, Twins, Mirrors and Opposites. Or something along those lines...

Satern ( ) posted Sat, 12 October 2002 at 6:43 AM

I like the Fantasy Characters one best :) but I see what is meant about the characters, getting away from figures for a change... But as for the set being mix'n'match I think thats a charm too it not a dissadvantage...

mutedbanshee ( ) posted Sat, 12 October 2002 at 12:24 PM

::Applauds Rick:: This has been a very long and hard competition, id of given up ages ago on all the uploading,checking and thinking of new theme's, Your are the man ;D i had an idea of the life cycle, sorta embryo/birth/infant/teenager you know what i mean, or something like that, But the above idea's are brilliant. congratualtions to all who have won a card, and all the amazing talented entries that didnt ;( i think Rick should get all the cards printed for one massive strange deck, should make Gin a more interesting game, ::winks::

rross128 ( ) posted Sat, 12 October 2002 at 4:27 PM

The only way I would do the compase team idea is if people started showing me a couple of teams starting to form right now. It seems to be the best circulating right now. I do like the play on the 2's idea, things that come in pairs. Twins, shoes, lovers. Actually, I believe someone submitted a Yin-Yang idea not to long ago,we could do opposites. Maybe I should open another contest for picking the themes for the 2's :)

SndCastie ( ) posted Sat, 12 October 2002 at 9:41 PM

I like the idea of pairs and opposites at that should make for some fun images. :O)

Sandy
An imagination can create wonderful things

SndCastie's Little Haven

Little Red ( ) posted Sat, 12 October 2002 at 10:48 PM

file_26680.jpg

Here's an example of figures from an Apocalyse image I put together several years ago... doesn't have any weapons, though.

enax ( ) posted Sun, 13 October 2002 at 5:37 AM

Little Red: If you want weapons DAZ has two collections in free archive section ("Knives, Daggers, & Sacrificial Tools" - "Swords & Scabbards")
The link is:
http://free.daz3d.com/pages/free/archive.html
You must be registered.

Enax

Little Red ( ) posted Sun, 13 October 2002 at 3:38 PM

Thanks, enax!! I usually get their weekly free models, but hadn't looked at the archive.

tresamie ( ) posted Sun, 13 October 2002 at 9:30 PM

I like the compass idea as well, but maybe it could be more like the 4 winds..North wind, etc. Maybe they could be 4 themes from the galleries here....like one could be one terragen, one poser, one fractal, one photography... The horsemen are good, but kind of downers for the final cards.

Fractals will always amaze me!

Satern ( ) posted Mon, 14 October 2002 at 5:38 AM

if it was done one from each area tho that would mean some people wouldent have a chance too enter at all :/ Good idea tho in many respects just a little constrictive for people who may want too get a final thing in, like the idea of the winds tho :)... I think the oppisites are really nice idea, light and dark good and evil.. cold and hot... and such :)

Little Red ( ) posted Mon, 14 October 2002 at 4:05 PM

Here's what an astrology site says about card suites, and specific cards... Hearts - Water 2 of Hearts: A warm partnership or engagement. This is a very favorable card that indicates strength and support coming from a partner. Clubs - Fire 2 of Clubs: Obstacles to success; malicious gossip. Diamonds - Earth 2 of Diamonds: A business partnership; a change in relationship. Spades - Air 2 of Spades: Breaks in relationships; deceit. A break in an important process in the querent's life. If the question concerns a particular romantic interest, this is considered a warning card - infidelity or separation is quite likely.

rross128 ( ) posted Mon, 14 October 2002 at 5:42 PM

So it seems everyone has a lot of good idea, but I still don't know what to pick. Hummm.....

Little Red ( ) posted Mon, 14 October 2002 at 9:03 PM

Yeah, it's tough, rross128, but that why you get the corner office and the espresso maker... smirk LitRd

rross128 ( ) posted Mon, 14 October 2002 at 11:39 PM

Only if it comes with it's own secretary, Litrd :)

m7csat ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2002 at 2:50 PM

"Maybe they could be 4 themes from the galleries here....like one could be one terragen, one poser, one fractal, one photography..." - Tresaime Why not? Or to expand on the idea 4 cards that are a combination of the various galleries here. Because after all this is a Renderosity card deck and what better way to respresent it then in the last set of cards . . . Putting a mish-mosh of galleries on the back is also an idea but I think it would be too cluttered. This way by doing it on the front of the twos, you could pair galleries that compliment each other (eg Bryce and Poser)

rross128 ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2002 at 4:40 PM

It's an interesting idea, m7csat, but to be honest, I haven't had to much luck getting Bryce and Poser to compliment each other :)

SndCastie ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2002 at 11:53 PM

rross128,You really have to play with them but you can get them to work great together you just have to learn the tricks :O)

Sandy
An imagination can create wonderful things

SndCastie's Little Haven

rross128 ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 1:05 PM

I think my main problem is trying to get the texture mapping to work from poser to bryce, and everytime I try, I end up onle getting parts mapped. But I do love Bryce's rendering engine. I noticed on world builder you can actually import pz3's, I was thinking about trying that and see how well it works.

Gossamyr ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 11:48 PM

I have a couple ideas... 2 bolster the above, and if my life depended on it, i would say the cardinal directions, cuz it doesn't lock u in. I would seriously freak out if i had 2 create a country music carde. But, on a different strange from the lips of a black sheep, I would suggest something like a great minds thing, but not a silly tribute card, I m talking an artists expression of that that minde did (Einstein, Hawking, Kaku, Newton), what they affected. Like with Kaku, I c a beautiful violinist, although I don't know that i have any violin props. < !---concept guy---- > Another idea I had, that I was touching on, was kinda a comic book idea.... "not everything that is legal is right and just, and not every thing right and just is legal" so, how about an evil do~gooder, a good evil~doer, those who sit on the fence, and those that are oblivious and/or ignorant.... or even something completely insane, since this is the wind down, animal, vegetable, mineral and the all important freeform last ditch "other" ;-) Gossamyr

Gossamyr ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 11:57 PM

ooooOOOooo How about this, Angel, Genie, Faery + Devil/Demon? lix lips I think its nifty ;-) G~

Claymor ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2002 at 4:27 PM

..which could be a theme in and of itself,"two cents", "two scents", "too sense"...who knows... But seriously folks...my thought was to do the twos themed as "famous pairs" ...that could be people, Abbot and Costello, Ricky and Lucy...cartoons, Mickey and Minnie...food, Peanut Butter and Jelly...cliches, Mom and Apple pie...the theme would be anything that works as a pair...a likely theme for 2's don't you think?

Gossamyr ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2002 at 5:17 PM

I thought a lil bit of nifty neat would b a better way 2 wrap it up, themes can b cheezy...but that's my 2 cents. An idea is less constrictive, u ask 5 people what their idea of an angel is, and u get 5 different responses. Clich just lock us in, artistry shouldn't b so, leave that 2 the advertisers peddlin' crackers on network tv... poof G~

rross128 ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2002 at 1:31 PM

Well, with all the hupla, I'm thinking of going with the main them of "Pairs and Opposites" and leaving it free form. Any objections?

brain21 ( ) posted Mon, 04 November 2002 at 4:07 PM

First, I would like to suggest a "modern art" theme for the last 4 cards: 1- Art Nouveau 2- Art Deco 3- Cubism 4- Pop Art I also like the idea of "art genres" too. I see WAY too many Poser creations, and would like to see some more different things. Someone else suggested: 1- Landscape (Terragen, Bryce, etc.) 2- Poser (please use it in a more unusual and creative manner than just downloading some props and clothes from Daz) 3- Photography 4- Fractals Or something along those lines. I think that my idea of modern art would force poser users to really stretch their creativity. I would love to see some Poser generated works of Cubism!!! Brain21

gally ( ) posted Tue, 05 November 2002 at 6:23 PM

...And how about 4 main religions?

ringbearer ( ) posted Wed, 06 November 2002 at 3:37 PM

I like the idea of pairs and opposites. Also like the art themes suggested by brain21.

There are a lot of things worse than dying, being afraid all the time would be one.

My Gallery

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.