Wed, Oct 9, 10:12 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Python Scripting

Welcome to the Poser Python Scripting Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Python Scripting F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 2:50 am)

We now have a ProPack Section in the Poser FreeStuff.
Check out the new Poser Python Wish List thread. If you have an idea for a script, jot it down and maybe someone can write it. If you're looking to write a script, check out this thread for useful suggestions.

Also, check out the official Python site for interpreters, sample code, applications, cool links and debuggers. This is THE central site for Python.

You can now attach text files to your posts to pass around scripts. Just attach the script as a txt file like you would a jpg or gif. Since the forum will use a random name for the file in the link, you should give instructions on what the file name should be and where to install it. Its a good idea to usually put that info right in the script file as well.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: P4 Scripts Working in P5?

Terry Mitchell ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 9:51 PM ยท edited Tue, 03 September 2024 at 8:24 AM

Is anyone encountering problems with installing and using in P5 Python Scripts that worked in P4? I ask because I have run into problems trying to use PC Bos' "Environmental Deluxe" radiosity script package (sold by DAZ) in P5. Most of the scripts just generate an error message in P5 (but never did in P4).

Intel Core I7 3090K 4.5 GhZ (overclocked) 12-meg cache CPU, 32 Gig DDR3 memory, GeoForce GTX680 2gig 256 Bit PCI Express 3.0 graphic card, 3 Western Difgital 7200 rpm 1 Tb SATA Hard Drives

ockham ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 11:30 PM

Can you list the exact error message? Here's some pure wild guesswork: As far as I can tell, Python itself and the available functions within Poser, seem to be about the same as before. I don't see any new or altered functions relating to lights. But P5 clearly handles lighting in some new ways internally. I wonder if Bos was checking for certain ranges of values, and P5 gives different ranges or wider limits when Python asks the value of some light parameters?

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

c1rcle ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2002 at 2:18 AM

If you've still got poser4 installed you could use the script in poser4 to generate the lights, save them to the library then open them in poser5, I'm sure PC Bos will be working on this soon as he gets poser5 if he hasn't already.

stewer ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2002 at 1:00 PM

Poser 5 is using Python 2.2, where Poser 4 Pro is using Python 1.5.2. These two Python versions are source compatible, but not binary compatible, which means that scripts for Poser 4 Pro that are .py files (text files) are compatible with Poser 5, where scripts in binary formats like .pyc and .pyd need to be recompiled from the source code to run with Poser 5. The APIs of Poser Pro Pack and Poser 5 are the same, but the Poser 5 implementation includes improvements and bugfixes.

Terry Mitchell ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2002 at 5:19 PM

Well, that explains it. Many of the Environmental deluxe scripts are "pyc". I know nothing about "compiling from tge source code", so I hope PC Bos is paying attention and will modify the package. Anyone have a contact source for him that I can use?

Intel Core I7 3090K 4.5 GhZ (overclocked) 12-meg cache CPU, 32 Gig DDR3 memory, GeoForce GTX680 2gig 256 Bit PCI Express 3.0 graphic card, 3 Western Difgital 7200 rpm 1 Tb SATA Hard Drives

ockham ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2002 at 12:18 AM

That's a valuable fact. I didn't realize the binaries were incompatible. Probably I didn't see it happen because my development directory is always in .py form, so everything ran identically in both versions. When I release a script in .pyc form, I'll be sure to run it in both versions and send the .pyc files separately!

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

bushi ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2002 at 12:52 PM

This appears to be a case-by-case situation. Some of the scripts that I've written and compiled to .pyc files in P4 work just fine in P5 without re-compliing while others don't. Might be worthwhile to try the scripts in both P4 and P5 before having two versions and the overhead that results.

Terry Mitchell ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2002 at 6:08 PM

Environmental Deluxe works for me in P4, but only some of its scripts (all of thge "pyc" ones) don't work for me in P5. Does anyone know how to contact PC Bos about this?

taliahad ( ) posted Thu, 17 October 2002 at 12:51 AM

I'm downloading Python 2.2.2 at the moment, ready to get to learning it. From what I gather of this thread, a question arises: Are scripts I write in 2.2.2 backwards compatable with 1.5.2? I know, maybe need different compiling, but OTHER than that? Also, what would be the best set of downloads to get started to learn Python scripting that is P4-5 specific? Thanks!
Adam

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.