Sat, Sep 21, 4:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 8:42 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Blatant plagiarism ?

Grammer ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2002 at 7:00 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 4:33 PM

Hi, in the gallery you will find two posts by crymson heart:

http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=265072&Start=1&Sectionid=1&WhatsNew=Yes

Actually both of them are pictures from Masa:

http://www.eurus.dti.ne.jp/%7Emasasi/GALLERY/indexE.html

This never has happened here before.

Karl

Lapis ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2002 at 7:12 AM

If this indeed is true, good eye for picking up on this. I hope you let admin. know!

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2002 at 7:13 AM

Is it possible they are the same person, using two names? The pictures are identical, for sure.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Grammer ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2002 at 8:05 AM

Both usernames are not the same person. I emailed Masa, who is upset. Karl

Lapis ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2002 at 8:07 AM

Oh boy! This isn't going to be pretty!

Grammer ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2002 at 8:16 AM

Hers the second picture: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=264099&Start=1&Artist=crymson%5Fheart&ByArtist=Yes Original is at the same location as above. And the presumed authors reply to the comments: crymson_heart Thanks... i gotta cut-down on making hourly-painstaking=time consuming images like this, it's affecting my work (hehehe) - i might get fired! :P

hauksdottir ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2002 at 8:38 AM

blatant is one word for it... a printable word. Masa has supporters, people who know and value his work and this will get ironed out, the offending copies removed, and the jerk will get site-banned for his presumption. Some good might even come from this... people who only knew Masa from his tools might be introduced to the sensitivity of his art. Carolly

Valandar ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2002 at 8:53 AM

I would also call it pathetic. One thing it does is bring into question every picture in that gallery, as to the question of their authenticity. This is NOT gonna be pretty.

Remember, kids! Napalm is Nature's Toothpaste!

JeffH ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2002 at 9:01 AM

I removed two of the images, looks like there may be more "tributes". -JH.

SpectreOfDesire ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2002 at 7:50 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=265071&Start=1&Sectionid=0&Form.Search=crymson&Form.

I have a question as to the validity of this picture as well. Look in the lower right corner. It looks like someone's name blacked out to me. What do you think?

SpectreOfDesire ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2002 at 7:56 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=264101&Start=1&Artist=crymson%5Fheart&ByArtist=Yes

Hm. And this one. Lower left. I really dislike blatant plagarism like that.

AgentHelix ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2002 at 8:07 PM

I can tell you that the 2D images in this gallery are no better. Most of them are images cropped, cut and pasted into new 'works' from professional comic/manga/anime artists. Or else they appear to be pre-existing art with a Photoshop filter applied. This is pretty sickening.

Crasher ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2002 at 9:07 PM

Attached Link: http://www.geocities.com/pongatious/rap.html

If I may direct your attention there, you'll find some of crymson's other 'works'.

spinner ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2002 at 9:50 PM

Isn't one of the figures here Ron Knights' Adventurer? (on the right - the style is what I connect w. him...) (volumptuous...now there's a dowdy phrase ;-)) ~S

spinner ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2002 at 9:59 PM

meant here... ~S

spinner ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2002 at 10:09 PM

Can someone take images we make and do this without asking our permission first ? Tribute or not ? ~S

SpectreOfDesire ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2002 at 10:34 PM

I would think that they should ask permission first. It would be like someone taking someone elses' term paper from the year before and copying it, adding a little bit here and there to make it 'theirs'. It's still plagarism. Only in this instance, if they ask permission, it makes it a little more acceptable.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 1:14 AM

I, too, find this truly pathetic. This individual lacks not only the talent or wherewithal to create his/her own art, but also the Photoshop skills necessary to successfully disguise all evidence of the original artist's mark.

spinner ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 3:40 AM

Linking to this thread in the VT, maybe someone else recognises their work. And it kinda pisses me off that the signatures are hidden so badly. Are we sure this isn't some ironic joke played by someone ? ~S

Hiram ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 2:01 PM

I'm sure we have an intinerant masturbatory 14 year-old, here. I just checked their gallery, and it is blatantly obvious that these are all the work of different people.

Desdemmonna ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 3:37 PM

Its so depressing when people do things like this...its not that bloody hard to load/dress/texture/pose a character once you have the basics of poser down if all your going to use a model for is 'composites'. I'll shut up now.

lemur01 ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 5:18 PM

Why hasn't this guy been kicked out already? Jack

Hisminky ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 5:31 PM

He should be banned. Problem is, vermin like this generally come back under a new alias.

Spike ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 6:00 PM

We have taken action.. If you can't link to any of the images in this thread it's because they have been removed. Thanks to you all for staying cool and letting us do our job here. Great work!

You can't call it work if you love it... Zen Tambour

xenic101 ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 10:20 PM

It's been 3 hours since the original post and this guy's gallery is gone. I didn't see the pictures or the notes for them so I don't know if this was an attempted 'tribute' or what. Obviously if you want to tribute someone's art you post a link to it, not a copy of it. But, what constitutes original art? I use characters made by someone else, textures by someone else, clothes by someone else, props by someone else, programs by someone else, and I call the finished picture mine. If I don't give or take credit for the Gothic Prison (for example), will someone accuse me of stealing it from Awful Soul. Intent defines action. I'm not going to try and take credit for someone elses work, but I won't hesitate to use it because I can't draw or model or stick to the subject. Those of us who care about our effort are self-policeing, we know what's right and wrong and we won't knowingly cross the line. Those who can't or won't do that, simple don't matter. Again, I didn't see the pic that started this (I saw the originals yesterday, following a thread from here)But hopefully this won't get stupid in either direction. Have you seen my Mona Lisa, or hey! that's my red sphere. Watch yourself and be forgiving of others. Ok I'm done.

Kendra ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 10:46 PM

Xenic101, he was taking the finished work of others and posting them in his gallery. In some cases he was cropping figures from finished work and compositing them with other peoples work. That isn't acceptable. Using props, characters and textures to create something you envision isn't anywhere near the same.

...... Kendra

AgentHelix ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 10:50 PM

I'd be willing to let the tributes go, really. Maybe they could have had the best intentions in mind. However, he still neither asked permission, nor did he give credit. THEN he took other people's work and blatantly posted it as his own, even making claims as to how long each painstaking render took him. There's nothing to be nice or overreact to here. It's a simple case of artistic fraud, and I'm glad it was dealt with. Kudos to the staff.

xenic101 ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2002 at 12:11 AM

Sorry, I wasn't clear before on exactly what was done or my reply to it. He stole the pictures. That's now clear. His Gallery was deleted. Good, he deserved that. I'm just paranoid and tend to rant just off topic. A while ago I caught the tail end of a series of threads where an overlooked credit caused a big bruhahah. My response drifted to that cause I hadn't seen the pictures or his claims. I forgot to convert the time when I said 3 hours. Posted at 7 now its 10, thats three hours, right? Oh, it's 22 o'clock, opps. Almost mentioned that his E-mail still worked but that would probably led to vigalante justice. Opps, I typed that, where's that delete key?

mon1alpha ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2002 at 4:26 AM

file_28297.gif

You have to wonder at the sort of person who would try to claim credit for another's work. Plagarism...well it's not even that really, it's outright image theft! No wonder a few of the japanese contributors are resticting access to their sites. I don't blame them, they give away brilliant poser stuff and then people take advantage like that. I'd hate to have to protect my images from right clickers, (get stuff, give stuff away is my philosophy) but I suppose we shouldn't let a few silly people mess up a really nice and helpful community. end rant Mon Ps: wip attached :)

Erlik ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2002 at 9:34 AM

Nice composition and use of colours. :-) Preventing right-click DOES NOT work. Show me any site where it's implemented and I'll give you a composite of that picture.

-- erlik

Kendra ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2002 at 10:48 AM

What I used to do on my site for my gallery images was create a table the same size as my image and put the image as a background, then take a transparent gif and put that in over the image (same size). Then if someone did right click they'd get the transparent gif.

And I have fooled some by hiding the page source by including several hard returns. :)

...... Kendra

Hiram ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2002 at 11:06 AM

A screen shot will get around it every time.

Kendra ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2002 at 11:21 AM

Oh yeah. But it can keep the amature confused.

...... Kendra

pdxjims ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2002 at 11:22 AM

A few of my adult works have been posted in usenet by people either without giving me credit, or saying its their own work. I'm going to start watermarking everything. I don't really mind someone posting them there, but to take credit for them is just too much.

Erlik ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2002 at 12:03 PM

Kendra, it's just what it is, to keep the "honest thieves" away. People who know don't even have to take a screenshot.

-- erlik

rasputina ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2002 at 12:29 PM

was their more art on the geocities site, or just the page regarding Lady Death? I may be missing something or have perhaps missed the boat.

Crasher ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2002 at 12:43 PM

The page where the Lady Death pictures were only one place he could have snagged those images from. At the bottom of that page are the true artists. He, from what I can see or understand, took those pictures and applied a filter to turn them different colors, or superimposed them over some rocks. Even the signature of Roy Young was left on the image that he posted in his gallery. That, I could overlook, and the tributes I could overlook. However, the ones that he blatantly took from another site, from another poser (or whatever they used) artist, and posted in his gallery as 'his own work', is just unacceptable. It doesn't fly. Especially when he made comments about how hard it was, or how long it took him to do those. I'm just glad someone had the eye to catch that, because it was completely unfair to the original artist, and I would be upset too. =)

Crasher ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2002 at 12:46 PM

Oh, and a thank you goes out to those that took enough time and care to take care of this. It means a lot to some of us. ~C

Lyrra ( ) posted Fri, 25 October 2002 at 5:09 PM

Just a note for those concerned - after this issue was brought to the attention of a moderator, the entire gallery was examined. More than half of the images were stolen - and probably all of them, but we have no proof for many images. However, the member has been banned and their IP logged. If you see this person here again, tell a moderator and we will boot them immediately. If you see anyone else plagiarising work like this, please tell a moderator IMMEDIATELY, preferably with links to both pieces. Contrary to popular opinion, we are not omnipotent :) (unlike Legume) Lyrra the Overworked

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.