Sat, Sep 21, 2:40 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Help on realistic skin

Tintifax ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 3:58 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 2:35 AM

A questions to the experts and every hint is appreciated. I transferred a poser girl (Victoria) with Yuma texture to Bryce5. I found several tutorials that explains what to do with the transmaps and so on. I'm still not satisfied with the result. The skin looks a little bit dull/lifeless. The same is valid for the hair. Should I add reflection or other things to the skin? How? Are there any hints for lighting (I just use the sun until yet), or is it all left to postwork. I saw some terrific render here in the galleries and there must be a better way to do it. Thanks in advance - Tintifax

Erlik ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 4:12 AM

Lighting is not that important unless you want a specific atmosphere. Of course, IMBW. You can always add a light or two, just for fun. The imported skin has to have the texture set both on Diffuse and Ambient colours - up at the top. And then play with Diffusion and Ambience values in the second group. (Sorry, no pic, I'm not at home.) Specularity has to be set to a low value, otherwise you'll get a plastic look. I wouldn't set Reflection at all.

-- erlik

Bladesmith ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 7:06 AM

I would have to see your setting for specifics... Erlik is right, and all I can really add is That I usually set diffusion around 80% and ambiance around 20% for a starting point. A wee bit of bump can really help things, a very low specularity and you might try reflection but keep it very low....sometimes it gets a good effect. Check your sky settings, it is advisable to turn the shadow intensity down, this can help the way skin looks.

Tintifax ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 8:14 AM

Thanks for your help. I'm not at home, so I cannot show an example. Settings are default settings at the moment. Texture is only set as Diffuse colour. All other things are set to zero (just imported as *.obj from Poser4). I thought that at least on the hair a mild reflection might help to make it more glistering in the light. From certain angles I also get strange shadows from the nose over the eyes (too dark and not smooth), but that may be solved with setting the texture also to the ambient colour. I'll try your suggestions and may come up with a picture... Thanks indeed for your help...

Erlik ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 8:39 AM

Ah, yes, the hair is something else. Just like the lashes. After you've set the transparency map, it would be okay to put a mild, mild reflection on the hair. Something like one percent. But the shininess of the hair would be better done with Specularity. Change the Specular Halo colour to match the colour of the hair, too. Or, if you want, put a different specular halo colour and play with highlights in the hair. Shadows ... well, sometimes Poser figures have these strange bumps that cannot be smoothed out by smoothing the model. Zero value? When I import Poser figure in Bryce, Diffusion, Ambience and Specularity are all set to 100. BTW, do you have the texture on the eyes, or are they white?

-- erlik

Tintifax ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 9:05 AM

Shouldn't have said zero. Default is the better word. Outer Eyeballs are set to transparency with a little specularity. Transmaps on lashes and hair are applied. Still I want the result to get more realistic... Will make a try on Specularity, thanks again.

Aldaron ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 9:28 AM

Also check ambient color, default poser imports are usually black.

Phantast ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 11:25 AM

Set both ambience and diffusion to the texture. Diffuse should be 100 (unless you want darker colouring) and ambience 12. Specularity is only needed if you want the skin to look wet for some reason; settings of 5 to 10 are appropriate. A bump map with a strength of 2 or 3 can be used to give more detail. It's better to use a proper bump map than a sandy texture in the bump channel.

Erlik ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 11:27 AM

file_28431.jpg

Here's one of my -- for now -- abandoned projects. I *hope* this looks at least a bit like the real skin. (The texture is one of the free textures of Syyd Raven's. She's a wizard with skin textures.) I played a bit before I took screenshot, so there's a bit of reflection and Specularity is raised a bit from before.

-- erlik

Erlik ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 11:30 AM

Oh yes, there's no transmap on the hair, lashes are still half-finished, and note the angularities on the face that smoothing couldn't iron out.

-- erlik

tuttle ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 11:34 AM

file_28432.jpg

For this I used diffusion 65 ambience 0 reflection 4 (It's a portion of an earlier render BTW) It was lit with HDRI and many light sources.

Tintifax ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 12:55 PM

file_28433.jpg

Just came home from work and will try all your proposals. Tuttle, that's what I'm aiming at. This face looks really great. Thanks for all your help again. The image shows the state where I started the discussion. We will see how I can improove it with your help...

tuttle ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 2:06 PM

It's a good start and the hair looks pretty good too. The best way would probably be to mess around with the settings and see what works for you. Good luck!

shadowdragonlord ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 8:20 PM

Another biiiiig thing you don't want to forget about is bump mapping. You can use Poser bump maps, or drive the bump in another channel and use procedurals set at really low levels... Try it, because almost nobody's skin is perfectly smooth!

Tintifax ( ) posted Tue, 22 October 2002 at 11:27 PM

file_28434.jpg

Ok, that's what I have now... Set texture map to ambient channel too. 90 diffuse, 10 ambient. Changed the sky settings, soften the shadows, put a little bit specularity to the hair. The hair seems to be gettin' nice. Changed the length though and the face. Well, have to try bunp map next.

Tintifax ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2002 at 12:33 AM

Another note: I forgot the anti-aliasing on the second one...

Phantast ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2002 at 4:58 AM

Erlik, you have applied a bump map with zero strength, which has no effect, and you have a specularity of 33.5 with black colours, which also has no effect.

Erlik ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2002 at 8:46 AM

Applying the bump map with zero value does have some small influence. Enough for my purpose, although I'll recheck. But the specularity is an oversight. :-) Thanks.

-- erlik

shadowdragonlord ( ) posted Wed, 23 October 2002 at 6:26 PM

No, Erlik, unless there is a .1 or some positive or negative value, the bump channel has no effect whatsoever. It isn't like the reflection or transparency channel, which don't need a positive value to affect the material, and which can't have a negative value. (Negative reflections? Whoa!) Just suggestions my friend...

Phantast ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 5:06 AM

Negative reflections? I like it! I'm sure Dr Who could tell us more.

shadowdragonlord ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 7:21 PM

Sure, why not... We've got negative lights to work with. I mean who ever heard of a FLASHDARK! What's next, negative lasers? What the *&%$# is a negative laser!?!?!

EricofSD ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 10:02 PM

Attached Link: http://hinchu.tripod.com/tuts/specularity/

Here's a tut for you on the skin thing.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.