Wed, Sep 18, 5:46 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 5:46 pm)

Subject: was poser used for final fantasy the spirit within

scottee2hottee2 ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2002 at 3:10 PM · edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 5:46 PM

hi.. i actually never saw it.. and its actually going too be shown on cable here in Australia.. so im going too make sure i sit down and watch but. but i always wondered wat program they used.. and after a little searching and getting a bit bored.. and i only had an hour to look.. gotta study for an exam.. i only found a site showing little textures and stuff. but its in japanese.. and i cant view it.. so was poser used.. if not.. wat program was actually used too create it.. cause it looks so close too real its scary. thanks

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2002 at 3:18 PM

They used Maya, RenderMan, and custom-made software. Poser is great, but it can't handle the high resolutions necessary for theatrical films. And it can't be networked, so the movie wouldn't finish rendering until 2317 AD.

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2002 at 3:18 PM

No, I believe that Final Fantasy(both games and movies) use Maya.

Tirjasdyn

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2002 at 3:19 PM

According to the books I used at work, twas definitely Maya.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Quoll ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2002 at 3:38 PM

There was no way it was Poser. A lot of custom stuff was developed to do thing in that film. Some of it was brand new technology.

tbird10 ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2002 at 4:14 PM

The trouble with the film was that it took so long to make that by the time it was finished, the technology that they had spent years developing was available everywhere. It's scary that (allegedly) the new directX 9 cards (Radeon 9700 and Geforce 5) can render full frame the actual Final Fantasy film in real time.

Quoll ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2002 at 4:18 PM

Dont buy into that hype! LOL

scottee2hottee2 ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2002 at 5:54 PM

i didnt really think it was poser.. but i know i would get an answer faster then on an other board.. cause i didn't see a general board for general questions. but thanks for all who answered.

ryamka ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2002 at 6:24 PM

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha. Poser... that is a good one. As for the "modern cards rendering FF in realtime", um not quite. I saw their demonstration at last years Siggraph. They are able to render lower res models with mostly static backgrounds and limited FX. It still looks impressive, but is nowhere near the quality of the movie.

timoteo1 ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2002 at 8:30 PM

LMAO!!! IF ONLY ... but hey, it's under $400, what do we want, right? Although, I have seen some incredible facial close-ups posted here on R'Osity, and they were a close runner-up. Get the DVD ... there is a really interesting section in the Bonus Materials on the rendering and comping process. The 3D CGI in that movie made me want to cry. A little weak in the story area, but overall a decent flick. _Tim

EricofSD ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2002 at 10:28 PM

I recall one of the programmers on that project saying in a discussion last year that there was one scene in there where Bryce played a small part. Definitely a Maya production.

aleks ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2002 at 1:17 AM

they worked a lot with painted backgrounds, there's not much in the background thatis 3d. tbird10: even with directx9, new cards will never render that amount of hair in real time, not in the next five years.

Erlik ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2002 at 2:08 AM

I've had a guy here (Zagreb, Croatia) telling me he's writing a rendering routine for graphic cards. The graphic processors today are a bit stronger than your average CPU, you know. Maybe not enough to do the rendering in real time, but they could be used for rendering.

-- erlik

aleks ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2002 at 6:08 AM

dobar dan! :) maybe he should apply for a job at cl, they can't even figure opengl acceleration in poser...

tbird10 ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2002 at 6:13 AM

That's why I put (allegedly) in there. ATI certainly claim that the Radeon 9700 pro cards CAN render the full movie (i.e. as rendered for the cinema) in real time - whether that is true or not is a different matter.

praxis22 ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2002 at 9:52 AM

Hi, Well, as an owner of a Radeon 9700pro, once DX9 comes out I'll let you know :) ATI have a demo's page up, but currently it only contains movies, they say they'll release the code for the demo's once DX9 is released. Here's hoping... later jb

azrael ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2002 at 10:12 AM

Dobar dan, Hrvati...izgleda da nas ima tu dosta...:)

aleks ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2002 at 10:54 AM

we'll have to wait also for directx9 apps, and when they're ready, direct11 will be out...

Quoll ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2002 at 11:09 AM

ATI promises a lot of things, like optimized drivers for their cards, which then never show up. They are infamous for putting out hype like "our new card is twice as fast as anybody's, and it will make you breakfast and balance your check book". Then when it arrives it's just a normal good card. "Oh, we'll release a new driver update soon that will increase speed by 250% and also do your laundry." And they dont. In fact, the next driver update, MONTHS later, will only break some of your apps and games. But they fix it two weeks later. LOL! So the lesson here? ATI cards will always be great cards at a good price, but they are NEVER the bomb they claim the card will be. And never install a driver update right away. ; )

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2002 at 11:23 AM

Pfft All the graphics card manufacturers say things like that.

• wanders off to download nvidia's driver-update-of-the-week *

scottee2hottee2 ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2002 at 4:17 PM

thanks too all that messaged. and i have no idea y it went into computer hardware stuff. but ohh well. i ended up finding a site of the movie. they did an interview and that said they used maya with different plug ins they wrote by themselves.. for hair etc.. and renderman for rendering. anyway thanks again.

EricofSD ( ) posted Sat, 02 November 2002 at 2:01 AM

Oh, as for using graphics cards for rendering, go buy Pandromeda MojoWorld. That program renders in openGL and the more card ram the better. I had a tough time on the version 1x team because my ATI rage pro chipset didn't cut it. The radeon didn't either, but that might have been a defective card. Finally got a gforce 2mx400 that kinda worked and this new ati 8500 handled the version 2x team stuff just fine after upgrading the drivers. Yeah, video card memory and openGL is not just for games. Its for 3d stuff too if the program is written to take advantage of it.

praxis22 ( ) posted Tue, 19 November 2002 at 7:35 AM

Well, he says returning much later. ATI have a beta of the DX9 drivers up, just as MS has but up RC1 of DX9, web downloader though, which is problematic, as the box with the 9700 isn't online, I nay have to bootleg it :) later jb

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.