Fri, Sep 20, 1:46 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: pill capsule

hartcons ( ) posted Wed, 30 October 2002 at 12:08 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 1:43 AM

file_29606.jpg

I need to model a pill capsule (like the Tylenol red/yellow ones). Any suggestions? Seems like just about anything can be done in the spline modeller but you have to use illustrator to get enough control over the path(s). I've heard nothing but bad things about booleans otherwise I might just try to boolean two half spheres onto a cylinder. I suppose I could do something similar in the vertex modeller using weld. Both lightwave and c4d come with a default capsule primitive but I haven't found one in Carrara. I guess a real tylenol capsule is actually two pieces with one fitting snugly inside the other so maybe it's more complicated than just creating a capsule object. Once I get the capsule built I need to apply the client's logo as a decal on one side (c4d has front mapping that prevents the logo from showing through on the other side). I've attached something I whipped up in C4D but I'd like to use Carrara to do this if I can.

dogbreath ( ) posted Wed, 30 October 2002 at 12:38 PM

Attached Link: http://www.reality-sucks.org/temp/Pill.zip

file_29607.jpg

I guess the attached pic is about what you're looking for, right? These are just 2 Spline Objects put together. The Link will take you to the .car file. Sorry, can't tell you much more about all this, because I'm a bloody newbie....

Bob.

mateo_sancarlos ( ) posted Wed, 30 October 2002 at 1:21 PM

I think you can do that in the Assembly room by deforming a sphere (stretch and/or bulge modifiers). Booleans work o.k. if the two objects have the same polygon density in the intersection zone, so you could also do the union of a sphere and cylinder, then the union of that and another sphere.

hartcons ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2002 at 11:11 AM

Good suggestions and examples. Thx. One of the reasons I enjoy using Carrara is because of this forum.

AzChip ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2002 at 5:08 PM

file_29608.jpg

Your post inspired me to do this, which in turn I'm using in a broadcast I'm doing on psychopharmacology. This is the last frame of an animation (just a camera crane down) that will be used as a bump between a live panel discussion and a pre-taped expert on drugs used for treating mental illness. Pretty dry stuff, but using some graphics can punch it up a bit. The capsules are two spline objects put together along with a copy of the two objects atomized to be the tiny little pills you can't really see through the semi-transparent capsule skin. The pills with the "C" (for Carrara -- what else?) are also a spline object with the "C" booleaned out. I used maximum surface fidelity for bothe the spline and the text objects and there was only one vertex that was out of place; it was really easy to clean that up in the vertex modeling room. Love this forum, too! - Dex

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.