Sun, Oct 6, 10:16 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Writers

Welcome to the Writers Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Wolfenshire

Writers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 3:07 pm)

Writers Gallery

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ---Anton Chekhov

Subject: Put on your thinking caps for future prizes

Crescent ( ) posted Wed, 30 October 2002 at 10:32 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 8:02 AM

It seems like everyone is having a horrid month, so I think we need something to cheer things up. What kind of (realistic) prizes would be good for the next contest? Poser related items? Book related items? Chocolate? ...? I'll be thinking on contest ideas as I recharge my mental batteries. I do have a few ideas on prizes, but I'd like to get people's input. I want people to get excited about possible Christmas-ish presents. I hope everyone else's days get better!

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 30 October 2002 at 11:08 PM

I think we should have some non-Poser prizes. I think maybe not everyone is using Poser (I have a sense of guilt, can you tell). I guess the question is, do you have a budget for prizes? Gift certificates are always nice because you can pick what you want with them but I don't know if that is a practical option.

cambert ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2002 at 4:38 AM

Anything non-Poser related is fine. The compulsive Poser-mania on this site gets a bit tiresome for us non-Poseurs :) Book/writing related items would be great, and much more appropriate for the forum. Dialyn's gift certificate idea is good, so long as it applies equally to non-USA residents. IMO, the best, though, would be publishing opportunities, if that could be arranged.

Caledonia ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2002 at 7:51 AM

Chocolate was mentioned, is there a need for further discussion?!?!?

tresamie ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2002 at 9:42 AM

I'm with Cal...chocolate is great! Being a fractal artist rather than a 'poseur', I too get a bit weary of Poser related prizes. If I end up winning any, I would have to find someone to give them to, lol. One nice thing that I have seen elsewhere here is the link name of a contest winner in the forum header. It's not much, but it is something. Oh, and if chocolate is out...how about coffee?

Fractals will always amaze me!

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2002 at 12:06 PM

LOL @ tres and Cal. I agree with the sentiment above. Although the majority of the site is Poser-related, it doesn't automatically mean that is the prize of choice. A gift-certificate might be handy but to tell the truth, I'm not sure what there is besides Poser products and printed artwork to be had. Darn shame there aren't any related products for writers. Like handbooks and such.

Crescent ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2002 at 12:57 PM

I can try to make arrangements for gift certificates and such not necessarily on this site. Realistic = small, affordable prizes, not necessarily Renderosity Poser products. Chocolate, huh? Swiss Colony does have truffles to die for. ;-)

dialyn ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2002 at 1:16 PM

Perhaps gift certificates to a site that is available universally (I hate to mention it but Amazon.com springs to mind because they have a large marketplace of goodies), not just books. Or a signed picture of one of our favorite moderators....Crescent properly framed? :)

jstro ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2002 at 7:54 PM

I like chocolate too. Not sure how appropriate it is for a contest prize, but I do like it. ;-) As far as a prize goes for a Writer's Forum I think the last prize was ideal; publication. What could be better? Oh, a couple thousand dollars maybe, but... Seriously, I think having the winning entry published in the magazine is the best prize you could come up with. If you have a budget a gift certificate is a good idea. I recommend Amazon.com personally. They are universally redeemable and the recipient can choose the item of their liking. And there is no shipping. They are delivered via e-mail. I thought you were on vacation. Get! :-) jon

~jon
My Blog - Mad Utopia Writing in a new era.

Crescent ( ) posted Thu, 31 October 2002 at 10:31 PM

I have about 8 bags of leftover Halloween candy, so that chocolate prize is looking really good right now! ;-) I'll be on vacation starting tomorrow morning. I'm trying to wrap stuff up, and right now I'm on a massive sugar kick! ;-)

SpectreOfDesire ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2002 at 9:56 AM

I couldn't run poser if I tried. So poser prize = bad for my computer. ;) A gift certificate to someplace that everyone can access, though, sounds pretty good to me, but that all depends on the prize giver's budget, doesn't it? Where in the poser contests, people pretty much donate prizes from the MP. So it all depends on what -can- be given and what is available. Spec

maxximumbob ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2002 at 1:25 PM

Mmm...chocolate. My only problem is that it might not ship well...then again...melted chocolate..mmm. But really, i think publishing and of course a copy of the issue of the mag in which their work was published would be an awesome prize. I KNOW that alot of people don't /can't use poser. it's nice, but not for everyone.

SndCastie ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2002 at 9:58 PM

I think the gift certificate is a great idea also the one on the publishing is too. I don't really write good stories LOL but it was fun. You never know till you try what you can do :O)

Sandy
An imagination can create wonderful things

SndCastie's Little Haven

jstro ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2002 at 10:16 PM

Unfortunatley, inches in a magazine cost real money, in terms of production costs. It may actually be cheeper to give a gift certificate, but being published would be the best prize of all. jon

~jon
My Blog - Mad Utopia Writing in a new era.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.