Thu, Sep 19, 9:37 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Yes I'm new, and yes I want feedback. Sorry! ;o)

Wivelrod ( ) posted Mon, 18 November 2002 at 7:39 AM · edited Thu, 01 August 2024 at 11:13 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=279328&Start=1&Sectionid=2&WhatsNew=Yes&Form.sess_id

file_32048.jpg

Hi all, I'm new to Bryce (and 3D rendering as a whole really!), and I would really appreciate some feedback. Mostly because one of the skills I need to learn and master is being able to spot whats good and whats bad in my renders, and a good way of doing that is to learn via feedback.

The image I've posted here is something I'm using to learn Bryce. I'm taking it slowly, and one step at a time. If you follow the URL, you'll see my first version that some of you may have seen in my gallery.

So anyway, what I really to know is whether you think I've achieved a more interesting landscape?

One of the difficulties I've had is making the Red/Orange sun bright enough to match its actual light source. I've used a volumetric flat shaded sphere (as per the tutorial at: http://www.brycetech.com/tutor/bryce/multiplesuns1.html). Unfortunately I've just not been able to colour or brightness match its material against its light source properties. In this image I've added a haloing effect with PSP to attempt to make the sun look brighter. Has this worked?

Thanks in advance for any advice you care to administer :o)

ttops ( ) posted Mon, 18 November 2002 at 8:36 AM

Yep halo effect has definitely worked. I really like the crackling texture on the hills. It seems to give it a wood like quality.

tuttle ( ) posted Mon, 18 November 2002 at 11:06 AM

Yes, it's looking better now there's more detail and less orange light. The black shadows are distracting, as they are coming from a light source behind the viewer, so I would tend to decrease the back light and get rid of its shadows.

Rayraz ( ) posted Mon, 18 November 2002 at 1:19 PM

The shadows in the foreground are way to dark, but other than that I really like the image. Really cool texture on the hills like ttops said. It something that immediately stood out.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

SevenOfEleven ( ) posted Mon, 18 November 2002 at 2:14 PM

Looks great, makes me homesick.

BOOMER ( ) posted Mon, 18 November 2002 at 2:18 PM

I like it and yes, we've all been there. Only thing I see, is the light from the right casting shadows that go to the left, but the sun in the image is in from of you. The shadows should be going in the tother direction towards the viewer. Nice low fog, also.

Because I like to blow $%&# up.

Don't fear the night.  Fear what hunts at night.

Anruth ( ) posted Mon, 18 November 2002 at 4:52 PM

Looking Good. One question where'd you get those rock textures? Love them.

cshaftoe ( ) posted Mon, 18 November 2002 at 8:04 PM

This is a very imaginative land/sea scape. I really like the mist on the water in the distance. Not sure about the suns though. The Bryster (Chris)

EricofSD ( ) posted Mon, 18 November 2002 at 8:50 PM

Love the land/sea scape and texture. very well done on those.

Aldaron ( ) posted Mon, 18 November 2002 at 9:23 PM

As others have suggested turn off shadows for the light behind the camera and maybe even turn down the intensity so that it gives just a soft fill light glow.

Wivelrod ( ) posted Tue, 19 November 2002 at 8:17 AM

file_32049.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback everyone :) :)

I've dropped the rear light source to a silvery grey colour, and stopped it casting shadows. It certainly changes the feel of the foreground doesn't it?

The suns have always been behind the cloud layer, though I had unfortunately washed away the visible cloud layer of the sun in post whilst adding the sun "halos". I've tried to tone it down a bit this time. Hopefully making the suns look a little less "fake". Still not entirely sure how to improve them, but maybe I'm trying to run before walking there ;)

Btw, the hill texture is derived from the Eroded Grante material already appearing in Bryce, and then replacing its bump map with a simple Texture created from Noise in the DTE (Stone Cliff type, MultiFractal mode).

The foreground rocks use the "Veiny Stone" texture, but with a very simple bump applied.

Thanks again for the feedback. Maybe it's time to take the next step and move onto another composition!

tuttle ( ) posted Tue, 19 November 2002 at 8:58 AM

Looks great. You're getting the hang of it ;)

SevenOfEleven ( ) posted Tue, 19 November 2002 at 12:01 PM

Too homesick now, going to pack my bags. Well done.

Rayraz ( ) posted Tue, 19 November 2002 at 3:00 PM

Cool. You're a fast learner.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.