Wed, Sep 18, 3:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Bryce render time.. a query on what affects it.

chohole ( ) posted Sun, 24 November 2002 at 1:36 AM Ā· edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 7:06 PM

What affects bryce render times the most, is it the speed of the pc, the amount of ram or the freespace on the HD. I ask because tame teccie came round with a machine he had put together mostly from bits he had left from other projects. He asked me to put it through its paces. I installed bryce and copied over the file of a scene I was working on. Render time at size 1200x900 was 4hrs 54min. On my own machine same image render time 10hrs 26min. I have an athlon with 71XE4 motherboard, (speed 800) 512mb ram (But only pc100 ram) and 80gig HD partioned and mostly quite full up. The new machine has Athlon duron motherboard, which he tells me is 1.7mh, 128mb less ram but the ram is pc133, and of course there is nothing else on the machine as yet. This is an important question for me, because if he gets some more bits hanging around he may be able to upgrade my machine for absolute minimum cost (he owes me money so needs to keep me sweet because I keep winging at him). So which would be the best way to go?

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to developĀ  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

Erlik ( ) posted Sun, 24 November 2002 at 1:51 AM

Processor. More RAM will make it possible for you to open bigger files. Hard disk has no role in rendering, possibly just in opening, if any program needs to use Virtual Memory. Memory speed influences the speed at which programs work in ordinary tasks. BTW, the nominal processor speed has nothing to do with the motherboard. The only problem you might have with that is that your motherboard cannot support a higher-speed processor. Finally, if you have any other program opened and working in while you're rendering, it will influence your rendering time, because the processor has to split its cycles between the programs.

-- erlik

Flak ( ) posted Sun, 24 November 2002 at 3:03 AM

CPU speed seems to be the big thing in render time. Amount of RAM seems to have no real effect, unless you don't have enough to hold the entire file in RAM during render, in which case the render is slowed down cos it has to access your HDD (or these are my findings with my PC). As Erlik says, HDD space doesn't seem to have an effect either.

Dreams are just nightmares on prozac...
Digital WasteLanD

chohole ( ) posted Sun, 24 November 2002 at 7:03 AM

Thanks, then I will go for the higher speed to start with, if he can manage that. I know that poser likes more ram, but if I do a big scene I usually render in bryce, so want to optimise for that. I must get round to tidying up my HD as well, simply because it needs doing. I have loads of redundant bryce files which take up a load of room. I have a habit of hitting the save as button when working on complicated scenes, so end up with duplicates omnce the ikage is finalised.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to developĀ  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

Rayraz ( ) posted Sun, 24 November 2002 at 11:45 AM

I use 512 MB of RAM and that seems to be enough to render most scenes without swapping. Your processor is most important for renderspeed, but if your processor constantly has to wait for the swapping harddisk it slows down the render. Processor is first, but defenitely try more RAM if your harddisk swaps a lot during rendering.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

ICMgraphics ( ) posted Sun, 24 November 2002 at 1:18 PM

A side note for those wanting to upgrade Memory. Most of us have decent motherboard & processor, yet bare in mind that when you purchase memory that it is compatible with your system. It should be listed with all the specs. I just upgraded from 256megs to 1gig, I had to upgrade my powersupply too, which I've learned is not only a matter of the watts but the delivery in amps. Please do your homework, it can be a pain. Another alternative is to bring it to your favorite tech. :)

chohole ( ) posted Sun, 24 November 2002 at 2:11 PM

That is one thing I have wondered about ICMgraphics, that why I said my ram is pc100. that was what I had in my old system before tame teccie got hold of it. It started life as a P2, ended up as an athlon, but some of my old bits got used, including the ram. I have often wondered if the ram is compatible with the rest of the newer system. When I looked at the features of the motherboard (as stated in the manual that came with it) it says:- memory 3 168 pin dimm sockets supports SDRAM 16mb-768mb(max) supports only 3.3v SDRAM DIMM. Now I am no teccie, so cannot really decipher this, but does it mean that my old pc100 ram is not ideal for the athlon motherboard he put into the system. When rebooting the system always hangs at the "checking ram" part of the screen.

cshaftoe ( ) posted Sun, 24 November 2002 at 6:43 PM

I use a 455p3 with 399mbram. This as it turns out is faster than the 533p3 with 125mb ram that I blew up. You do the math. Oh yes, and my new 40gig hdd is a 7200 rpm which doesn't hinder things either........ The Bryster

Rayraz ( ) posted Mon, 25 November 2002 at 3:28 AM

PC100 RAM is perfectly compatible with your motherboard. I don't think your motherboard is compatible wih RAM of 266Mhz from what I see in your message. Check the specs of the bus-clockspeed (is it called that way in english?). My motherboard supports clockspeeds of 75Mhz 100Mhz 133Mhz and 266Mhz (and maybe also 200Mhz and 333Mhz). Your motherboard can probably handle 133MHz, but you have to keep in mind that you can't use different types of RAM at different frequencies at the same time. If you have PC100 RAM and you want more RAM you have two options: -Buy another RAM stick of the same frequency. -Buy another RAM stick that is compatible with your motherboard, but if it has a different frequency than your old RAM stick you'll want to replace the old RAM stick completely.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

griffoso ( ) posted Mon, 25 November 2002 at 6:50 AM

Do you think by allowing my GF4 card to control the antalaising (typo) I would get cleaner image render?

Aldaron ( ) posted Mon, 25 November 2002 at 7:40 AM

If you put a RAM stick that can run faster then the one you already have (ie put a PC133 in with a PC100) the 133 will clock down to run at 100 on most motherboards, thus you lose the extra speed. The GF4 card will only affect the working window (wireframe, etc) it will have no effect on the rendered image. You can change the AA to premium to get a finer AA.

griffoso ( ) posted Mon, 25 November 2002 at 8:21 AM

thanks Aldaron I was wondering

Incarnadine ( ) posted Mon, 25 November 2002 at 11:25 AM

One more RAM issue to watch out for is the MS W98SE problem with RAM in excess of 512 Mb when using some of the new 128 Mb AGP cards. The 'puter may hang on boot! Happened to me (my AsUS MB can handle up to 1.5 Gb RDRAM and I had 1 Gb, dropped in a G4Ti4200 128 and splat!) MS has officially acknowledged this as a flaw (W98 was designed for 1 GB) but has declined to patch, implying I should upgrade to XP. Anyone know if there is any effort to get Bryce under Linux?

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

griffoso ( ) posted Mon, 25 November 2002 at 12:04 PM

I am running Win ME and am incountering a problem with my system not recognizing over 512mb RAM. This is a prb for I have slots on my p4 titian to accept 2 gig ..Do you know of a work around?

Aldaron ( ) posted Mon, 25 November 2002 at 12:23 PM

Only way I know of is to upgrade to Win2000 or XP. :(

griffoso ( ) posted Mon, 25 November 2002 at 12:40 PM

yes this is what I have heard I have XP PRO but its oem and am in the process of returning to Microsoft ...Cant wait to install all the memory when I get a full version in my hands!!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.