Tue, Oct 22, 3:47 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:39 am)

Subject: Brownstone WIP, a Brit needs some US input :)

gps ( ) posted Sun, 24 November 2002 at 8:17 PM · edited Sun, 20 October 2024 at 12:21 AM

file_32997.jpg

I seem to recall a number of people asking for something like this, so I thought I'd have a go. The snag is that brownstones are American, and I'm not ;) I've got as far as I can on limited references, but it would help if there are any brownstone-dwelling forumites out there who'd like to cast a critical eye over the work so far. I'm going for a generic style rowhouse from the early 1900's. The stoop (right word?) will be a smart prop, with two or three different versions allowing for some variety in street scenes. There's also going to be a fire escape, and the windows will open - so you can have air conditioners poking out of 'em :) I still need to add glazing, railings and posts, but the facade is 80% done (hopefully). Done right though? If you need to see a different angle/close-up, just shout - I'll be around for the next few hours. Any and all input gratefully received... cheers - gps BTW - while I'm here, I'd like to apologies to all those forumites who responded to a post I made some time ago (well, actually it was a long time ago), asking what props people wanted making. The general consensus was that the Poser world needed dirtying-down, so my plan was to create a range of urban junk. I made a list, gathered my reference material, fired-up Amapi 3D... and then went down with a severe chest infection :( For the next couple of months my two principle activites were coughing and sleeping, and while I was incapacitated, TrekkieGrrrl pounced! Heh, only kidding ernyoka :) Actually, I doubt if she even saw my original thread, but while I was trying to cough-up a lung, she was industriously producing quality junk that effectively made my plans redundant (love that discarded condom!). So, what to do next? Ask for another list of prop requests, and run the risk of going down with typhoid or the bubonic plague? Okay, so maybe forums aren't actually bad for your health, but I didn't want to tempt fate ;) So I've switched to Plan B - produce an assortment of props linked only by the fact that each one strikes me as a fun item to build. You might find them useful, you might not - but over the coming months you'll be getting buildings, furniture, weaponry, vehicles, clothing and at least one quack medical device :) The inquisitive amongst you might like to take a peek at my solitary gallery image (Amapi Gallery) for an idea of what's coming next... - gps

CyberStretch ( ) posted Sun, 24 November 2002 at 8:40 PM

Attached Link: Google Image Search: Brownstone

Hopefully, the link will prove beneficial. Many of the major American cities seem to have a "brownstone" era section. Perhaps a regular search may turn up some architectural plans or more to go on?

gps ( ) posted Sun, 24 November 2002 at 9:06 PM

CyberStretch, sometimes it seems like I spend half my online existance at Google - particularly the image search :)

I should have mentioned my reference sources in my original post, sorry about that.

Searches with various word combinations turned up results at;

http://forgotten-ny.com/
http://www.ruavista.com/
http://www.urbanphoto.org/

(incidentally, these are all great sites for general urban reference pics)

I only managed to rustle up about half a dozen usable images though, hence this thread.

BTW, doing an image search for 'brownstone' with 'SafeSearch' turned off tends to throws up something... unexpected... on the first page of results ;)

• gps

CyberStretch ( ) posted Sun, 24 November 2002 at 9:15 PM

Somewhere in the neighborhood of the 11th picture? ;0)

gps ( ) posted Sun, 24 November 2002 at 9:43 PM

file_32998.jpg

zechs ( ) posted Sun, 24 November 2002 at 10:15 PM

Hey I'm an American and I've never seen one in real life. (I'm from the midwest.) still looks great. As said before, just like in the movies. :)

Spit ( ) posted Sun, 24 November 2002 at 10:30 PM

I lived in one in Manhattan for several years. Miss it. :( This looks great! The one I lived in had a separate door for the 'apt' on the bottom (instead of one of the windows there). Go through a gate and down a couple steps. That particular apt had a swimming pool in the living room and a porthole from the kitchen to view it. Very strange things went on down there. LOL

Kendra ( ) posted Sun, 24 November 2002 at 10:31 PM

Reminds me of "I Love Lucy" when they showed the front of their brownstone. :) (just need an old cadillac for Fred to drive up in)

...... Kendra

ockham ( ) posted Sun, 24 November 2002 at 10:43 PM

How about switching from "knowledge input" to "knowledge output" mode? I'd love to see models of some uniquely English buildings that I've only read about. For instance, a two-up / two-down tenement, or a London mews with external staircases, or a little country cottage.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Mon, 25 November 2002 at 1:02 AM

giggle Gee you made me feel like a vulture... Well I'm very sorry to sneak up on you like that G and no, I didn't read your initial post. But anyway this brownstone looks GREAT, and being a dane I had the same problems finding references when I did Trash Street. That didn't quite end up as a brownstone, even though I guess that was what I basically had in mind. But it ended up ok anyway. hehe I was planning to do a brownstone btw, so let's see who of us ends up in bed this time cough - sneeze

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

GizmoMkI ( ) posted Mon, 25 November 2002 at 2:24 AM

It looks exactly like the brownstone that housed Del Floria's Tailor Shop, secret entrance to U.N.C.L.E. headquarters.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Mon, 25 November 2002 at 4:40 AM

I know I like it....!! :-) Sharen

pdxjims ( ) posted Mon, 25 November 2002 at 6:55 AM

Yes! I've been wnating a brownstone for months! Thank you! Just remember the ironwork bars on the lower windows. Thank you again! I can just see the kids playing by the hydrant or stickball in the streets. The 1920's car roaring around the corner, tommy guns blazing... Now all we need is a zoot suit and a really good big shoulder dress (in red) with a 1930's updo.

Boni ( ) posted Mon, 25 November 2002 at 9:35 AM

Oh, my, another old U.N.C.L.E. fan ... Let's see if I remember, (The United Network Command of Law Enforcement). I was around 10 through 13 when I was a fan, but Illya Kuryakin was so Cool. ;) Yes, that really reminds me of Del Flora's. I remember in 1966 when that set burned down. Boni

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.