Fri, Sep 20, 11:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: Poser 3 vs 4

ppt ( ) posted Tue, 18 April 2000 at 3:22 PM · edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 3:45 PM

I am new to Poser and have ver 3. Is it worth the up-grade to 4? I will be importing Poser figures into 3D Max. Does one version work better than the other..?? thanks for the info.....

CEBrown ( ) posted Tue, 18 April 2000 at 3:31 PM

4 adds a lot of features (transparancies, the ability to use the Victoria/Millie character, etc), but if you're going to be using Poser just for posing, and doing your rendering, etc. in 3DS Max, then you probably don't need it. You may WANT P4 after a while though; it DOES add a lot of neat features to the program...

wrecker25 ( ) posted Tue, 18 April 2000 at 4:58 PM

Dude, I just upgraded to P4 and I would never go back. P3 was ok but I had a lot of problems with it. Now the models, poses, props etc that I download actually work. P4 Kicks ass. I highly recommend it. It just seems easier to use. Ok, I'm off my soap box now out

bloodsong ( ) posted Tue, 18 April 2000 at 6:50 PM

heya; actually, some people have experience p3 to be more stable than p4. the basic rundown is this: transparencies: you can use transparency maps and set materials to be transparent (of varying opacity). reflection maps: you can set a texture to be a reflection map, which can give you more realistic-looking metal and stuff. poser doesnt have settings to make materials 'reflective' or 'metallic' or 'plastic' or 'refractive' etc. use max. magnets: for quick and simple morphs right inside poser, these are cool, once you get the hang of them. they are best for moving and sizing things, and pretty good at rotating and twisting things. the wave deformer also ripples things. however, if you are looking to really sculpt things, these won't do it. new figures: actually, there isn't much difference between the p4 and p3 figures. the heads are the same (all the p3 morphs work on the p4 figure heads and vice versa). they come with more morphs for changing the shape of the head, for 'ethnicity' shapes of varying accurateness. there are also 4 new animals: wolf, lion, rattlesnake... was the angelfish p4 or p3? (geeze, even i'm starting to forget...) conformable things: the jury is still out on this one. posable clothing works just as well, or better in some instances. conformability allows you to dress up your poser 'doll' and have the clothes move with the figure as you pose it. sometimes it works nicely, sometimes... :🤷:

Nance ( ) posted Tue, 18 April 2000 at 6:58 PM

Brain fog? I'm trying to determine why, as Charlie suggested, Vicky would not work in P3? (other than perhaps some transparency on her eyes) What am I overlooking?

CharlieBrown ( ) posted Wed, 19 April 2000 at 3:34 PM

The eyes may be the only problem with Victoria/Millie, but the Zygote site specifically states she is ONLY for Poser 4. I don't have P3 installed anywhere, so I can't test this... (And can't get Mictoria to work on the NT machine at work, but since she opened fine on the Win98 machine at home I'm not complainig... :D)

bloodsong ( ) posted Thu, 20 April 2000 at 5:30 PM

heya; not sure why a model would not work in p3, unless it has pentagons in it. i know for a fact that p4 can handle some pentagons, but they will crash p3 very badly. (well, i'm 95% sure, anyhow.) if the eyes have a cornea over the pupil, then you'd never be able to see the interior of the eyes in p3. that's all i can think of.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.