Tue, Oct 22, 12:59 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 12:41 am)

Subject: Corel close to bankrupcy

rtamesis ( ) posted Sun, 23 April 2000 at 12:52 PM ยท edited Fri, 18 October 2024 at 8:29 PM

Go to http://www.maccentral.com/news/0004/22.corel.shtml. Looks like Bryce and Painter really are doomed.

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Sun, 23 April 2000 at 2:04 PM

In that case, we better make sure that the source form of Bryce is not lost but becomes public so it can be debugged and improved by many interested users, as it is with the Gnu software (see http://www.delorie.com )

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Sun, 23 April 2000 at 2:11 PM

And, if Corel goes, what happens to Word Perfect? I don't fancy having to change to Microsoft Word: it's all too good at carrying viruses, and its table-handling has many fewer facilities.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Sun, 23 April 2000 at 2:11 PM

Ugh ... hopedfully that money thing will work

Sherlock ( ) posted Sun, 23 April 2000 at 2:41 PM

Corel just merged with Borland, as in Borland Delphi, which is how I feed the kiddies. I hope this is not the case.

DigitalArtist ( ) posted Sun, 23 April 2000 at 5:41 PM

Not too fond of Corel. Word Perfect is buggy - crashed on my 95 and 98 machinces numerous time (along with other products in the company line) Granted Word is virus prone.....but if you're smart ya wont get any virus' in the first place :] (Note: NOT calling anyone stupid here so dont take it that way)

jval ( ) posted Sun, 23 April 2000 at 6:20 PM

Well, 3 months is an eternity in this business and this is not the 1st time Corel has been in financial trouble. As it seems pointless to worry about things beyond my control I'll just have to wait and see, all the while hoping for the best. While it would be nice to make sure that Bryce's source code remains available it is a resource of financial value. Assuming the worst, I'm not sure that in bankruptcy Corel would be allowed to give the source away, even if they wanted to do so. Creditors have rights too and I suspect that the law will require every effort be made to minimize their losses. (But I'm not a lawyer so maybe I'm just full of it...) Regardless, nothing lasts forever. I hate to say it but the question is not if Bryce will eventually disappear but when. This applies to most everything :-( If there is truly a need for a program like Bryce, there will be something available. Rest assured that there will always be those willing to trade their programming skills for our money :-)

Nance ( ) posted Sun, 23 April 2000 at 9:36 PM

::mumbled quietly from the back of the room:: aaaa... I still use Corel Paint

Dave Wight ( ) posted Mon, 24 April 2000 at 8:59 AM

me too

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.