Fri, Sep 20, 8:23 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: can I insatll XP to my pc with win98 in it and open poser from XP ?

digitalman ( ) posted Wed, 01 January 2003 at 10:36 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 6:43 AM

can I insatll XP to my pc with win98 in it .the poser is install in win98, can I install winXP and open poser from XP cause people keep telling me that poser work better with XP. but I don't want to get rid of win98 (I like it better than XP )

galactron22 ( ) posted Wed, 01 January 2003 at 11:10 PM

Actually you'll be better off just upgrading your OS system to XP, what you want to do, is too memory intensive, and it would require both OS systems running at the same time, plus you computer will run smoother.

Ask me a question, and I'll give you an answer.

Dale B ( ) posted Wed, 01 January 2003 at 11:55 PM

Yes, you can do this. You have to install XP onto a different partition than 98 is on. When you do this, you will get a screen at bootup that by default gives you 30 seconds to choose which OS to boot. If you don't want all the goofy eyecandy of XP, you might want to consider Win2k Pro. You can get it fairly cheap at a computer show, there are =far= more drivers for it than for XP, and it has the memory management capabilities of XP.

rodzilla ( ) posted Wed, 01 January 2003 at 11:59 PM

the big answer is....maybe.i have a dual boot system with xp pro and win2k pro,and i can run p4/PP from either of my OS's,allthough it is only really "installed" in XP...poser seems to be pretty much self contained once it's installed,i don't think it depends on any outside registry entries...that's P4 tho,i dunno about p5...that said XP is vastly better at just about everything compared to 98...especially once you turn off all the glitz and make it look and run like the windows 2000 system that it is beneath all that crap

pdxjims ( ) posted Thu, 02 January 2003 at 12:54 AM

My system is dual boot XP and ME. If you dual boot, you'll have to reinstall some apps while running the new operating system to get the registry entries correct. I just reinstall over the old installation, and it seems to work pretty well. Really though, unless you've got a piece of hardware the XP doesn't support, or a software that won't work correctly in XP, you should just upgrade. The cost of running 2 systems in disc space is a pain. After a while the dual boot screen starts to be annoying too.

Orio ( ) posted Thu, 02 January 2003 at 7:49 AM

you can: - create a new partition and install XP there (you could also install on the same partition as Win98, I know it's possible (cos I had it) but I don't know how to, and anyway i strongly advice against it) - then as DaleB mentioned you'd get a boot choice screen. - from XP you can start whatever Poser 4 exe you have on your disks (as long as the partition is visibile from XP) - you can NOT start P5 unless it was installed on XP - differently from P4, P5 checks if it was isntalled in the registry - I strongly recommend to give up XP and go for Win2000 instead. I am extremely unhappy of XP and extremely happy with Win2000

quesswho ( ) posted Thu, 02 January 2003 at 9:46 AM

I also recommend Win2k pro. I had nothing but problems with XP and tech support wasn't any help.Poser worked well in both but the XP os sucked(for me anyway)

FishNose ( ) posted Thu, 02 January 2003 at 4:26 PM

Short answer : yes. Do this: On the new partition with Xp or 2K or whatever you choose, install Poser with defaults. Once completed, redirect your shortcut to the original install of Poser on theother folder (assuming it's a visible partition from both ends) and you can throw away the 'new' install of Poser, running your original install from 2 different OS's with out problems. Reason for doing it like this: all the correct changes are made to your registry etc, and everything looks correct form both partitions. I do this with 98SE and 2K, works fine. Note: if you're running 98 original ('Gold') version, upgrade it to 98SE if you have this possibility. 98SE is a far better 98, more stable. And excellent for games, still the best for that by far :o) :] Fish

gstorme ( ) posted Fri, 03 January 2003 at 1:37 AM

Poser runs fine on XP, forget about Win98.

Dale B ( ) posted Fri, 03 January 2003 at 7:20 AM

Weeeeeell......, I would say 'Forget about MS Approved Win 98'. 98lite is a vast improvement in stability and safety. Scraping IE, Outlook, and the Active desktop off of the actual OS does wonders for both stability and memory management capabilities (not to mention cutting the nads off of 99.7% of the script kiddies efforts). You still don't have as robust a manager as 2k/XPdoes, but my current 98SE lite is handling my current Athlon XP 1700 with 1 gig DDR just fine.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.