Thu, Sep 19, 9:50 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Ideas for perfecting this "freebie" image?

Colette1 ( ) posted Tue, 07 January 2003 at 5:06 PM · edited Tue, 10 September 2024 at 7:07 AM

file_40253.jpg

I know there are probably a lot of fixes here. Not in the crystal decanter itself,(though suggestions welcome there too:))But in the whole image. I started out just making a background to show off the decanter and decided I like the simpicity of just the 3 objects for a still life. I need practice, practice, practice! So sock it to me!!!

Erlik ( ) posted Tue, 07 January 2003 at 5:51 PM

Placement of the decanter/ angle of the camera. This way it sinks into the water. :-) The wall is too bland.

-- erlik

ICMgraphics ( ) posted Tue, 07 January 2003 at 5:53 PM

The picture is great yet it commands to much attention in the scene. Nice Decanter

deadman67 ( ) posted Tue, 07 January 2003 at 6:07 PM

need wall texture

Aldaron ( ) posted Tue, 07 January 2003 at 8:44 PM

The camera is too level with the table, angle it a bit to give more "drama".

catlin_mc ( ) posted Tue, 07 January 2003 at 11:15 PM

Try a dark room with a spotlight above the picture and the decanter off centre, perhaps even some cigar smoke wafting in from the side. And the wall definately needs some texture. This is how I'd probably do it anyway. Hope this helps you. Good luck with the rendering. Catlin

lsstrout ( ) posted Wed, 08 January 2003 at 12:09 PM

Terrific start! My suggestions: Picture - on some professionally hung paintings they will put several different colored mats between the picture and the frame, this helps set the picture off from the frame. Decanter - put a base on the bottom, it does look a little unstable. Other - What's a decanter without a glass or two to drink out of? Make it/them the same design as the decanter to show it is a set. Also, what about putting them on a serving tray? Lin

Zhann ( ) posted Wed, 08 January 2003 at 5:47 PM

file_40254.jpg

Great start, my .02, -Move your point of view up somewhat to show some table top -Lin's right about the mats, also have the picture in the shadow some, to create background interest and not command attention... _A wine glass next to the decanter and made be a partially sliced piece of friut...remember placement, triangle of objects on the table V & H, work in odd numbers... - vary sizes and most important offset from the center of the image see example, hope this helps a little...:)

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

Colette1 ( ) posted Wed, 08 January 2003 at 5:58 PM

Thanks all for your suggestions. I will be working on this in the next week. Please keep ideas coming:)and I will keep you posted on my progress.

bikermouse ( ) posted Wed, 08 January 2003 at 9:54 PM

Colette, assuming that you don't want to change the camera vertically, look at it from more of a side view and maybe slightly further back. show more of or all of the picture, maybe a portrait view rather than a landscape. If the decanter is to be the subject brighten it a little(ambience(?)) or otherwise draw the eye to it. a change in lightsource so that you can see some shadows might help. to me the table looks too dark somehow - perhaps you might want to show some of the tabletop(?). If you decide to do it as a portrait, perhaps lower the table a little rather than raise the camera. I hope you had a good Christmas and New Years, - TJ

Colette1 ( ) posted Thu, 09 January 2003 at 10:29 PM

How's this coming along? I added the tray and glasses. I decided to add 2 different size glasses for effect. Is it too much? I had a really nice looking texture for the wall but it looks weid after I jpeg'd it.

Colette1 ( ) posted Thu, 09 January 2003 at 10:30 PM

file_40255.jpg

Oops.. forgot the pic..LOL

Colette1 ( ) posted Thu, 09 January 2003 at 10:31 PM

*weid = weird

bikermouse ( ) posted Fri, 10 January 2003 at 12:38 AM

Colette, It's still 'unbalenced' somehow, but it is much better! Just something to break up the monotony of the wall like you did is fine. The way you came in at an angle looks much better than the straight on shot you had before. The decanter looks much more life like now and at this point it's starting to look really professional. I think that all you need to work on now is the balance and the framing a little and it'll be perfect. - TJ

Zhann ( ) posted Fri, 10 January 2003 at 2:00 AM

Collette, it's coming along very nicely! you might try dropping the picture to table height to balance the still life and create some negative space on the right (I know it sounds weird but it'll work)...just a thought... If you want some drama in the image try some chiascuro lighting, one bright spot on your objects with a faint fill light on the wall and picture...8)

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

bikermouse ( ) posted Fri, 10 January 2003 at 2:37 AM

Colette, My impression is that the painting should be where it is vertically. I was thinking in terms of horizontal balance - here are my thoughts: move the camera one glass width to the right maybe just a bit more. move the painting to the righr so that the rock in the painting that is below the glasses on the left is behind or almost behind the decantor. depending on how it looks at that point you may want to: rescale the painting so that the entire width of the painting is seen ? rescale your camera vertically so that the entire heigth of the painting is seen ? when you are happy with the position of things then finish up with the lighting.

bikermouse ( ) posted Fri, 10 January 2003 at 4:05 PM

file_40256.jpg

Colette, After thinking about your picture some more, I thought that it might help to objectify(is that a word?) your scene.

I put up the above image as an example:
In a new scene place generic objects in the positions that you visualize your objects in their final position - because these are generic, you shouldn't have as much creative attachment to them, and can better see anything that doesn't look right, like camera angle framing, lighting, etc.

• TJ

Colette1 ( ) posted Fri, 10 January 2003 at 4:57 PM

Thanks TJ. I think I am getting what you mean, just use any old objects in places I want my crystal displayed to work out the lighting ect.?

bikermouse ( ) posted Fri, 10 January 2003 at 7:18 PM

Colette, My biggest problem, other than a sheer lack of talent, is seperating the visualization in my head from what is actually on the screen. This is a technique I've been thinking about using to help me be more objective about what is on the screen. To reply, basically. I feel that this technique might not work with light so much, as light is pretty tricky and interacts too much with other objects to be generalized. You might figure out about where you want the light to come from that way; HOWEVER the idea is to place the objects and get a good camera angle/resolution/aspect ratio first by using the SIMPLE MODEL, later working the light with YOUR objects. (notice in my example that the camera angle isn't quite right(z rotation), the placement of the picture doesn't compliment the globe(too low?) the shadows are all wrong. It might have been harder to see if the objects themselves were in their final form. if you keep it simple until you get things set up, you will reduce render times too, allowing you to do more things. - or you could make freehand sketches, as a lot of people do, of the scene before you start with Bryce. At the point where you are ready to start playing with lights, you can go back and change the positions of your objects and camera angles to the way they are in your simple model and start working with lighting your objects, perhaps using radial or spot lights for emphisis of 'hot spots' and 'lead to lines' and maybe going back to the simple model to help. Another trick, if you get distracted by color, would be to make a greyscale representation to see how it looks as black&white. - TJ

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.