Wed, Sep 18, 5:59 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 5:46 pm)

Subject: Tweaking - water

tbird10 ( ) posted Mon, 20 January 2003 at 4:10 PM · edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 5:46 PM

file_42273.jpg

This was my first attempt at a pool texture

tbird10 ( ) posted Mon, 20 January 2003 at 4:10 PM

file_42274.jpg

A better view

tbird10 ( ) posted Mon, 20 January 2003 at 4:10 PM

file_42275.jpg

After some texture tweaking

tbird10 ( ) posted Mon, 20 January 2003 at 4:11 PM

file_42276.jpg

Another view - I think this is beginning to approximate the look I want

ladynimue ( ) posted Mon, 20 January 2003 at 4:19 PM

In a word... Perfection! ladynimue

lululee ( ) posted Mon, 20 January 2003 at 5:10 PM

This is great. Are you in P5 or P4? How are you doing it?

Scarab ( ) posted Mon, 20 January 2003 at 5:51 PM

The water is really great...however, I would use narrower piping for the exit ladder. I doubt Vicki could get her hands around it to get out and we wouldnt want her to drown, now would we? Scarab

Marque ( ) posted Mon, 20 January 2003 at 6:51 PM

Awesome. Marque

Sue88 ( ) posted Mon, 20 January 2003 at 10:17 PM

It looks very nice! Sue

EricofSD ( ) posted Mon, 20 January 2003 at 10:41 PM

that's way better water than I was able to do. Let us know if you can do a tut on it.

Dave ( ) posted Tue, 21 January 2003 at 8:13 AM

Looks great but the water still looks a bit smooth. Maybe a displacement map to roughen the water up some? Dave

TMGraphics ( ) posted Tue, 21 January 2003 at 9:26 AM

Can you set a refraction amount on the water? If so, use 1.33 for the waters refraction rate. Glass is 1.517 btw. TMG

tbird10 ( ) posted Tue, 21 January 2003 at 11:17 AM

I will post a tutorial when I am happy with the final result (maybe next week sometime) - I want to do a bit more playing around first - I'm also going to tweak the models, the shape and size of the pool etc. This is in P5 by the way I'm finally beginning to get the hang of the materials room - cloth and hair next, though I have some ideas for some scenes I want to create which are going to keep me busy for many moons to come - I don't think my wife is going to be too pleased :-) After a bit of a shaky start, I am pretty impressed with the possibilities that P5 creates !

compiler ( ) posted Tue, 21 January 2003 at 11:26 AM

Yes, now that it works, Poser 5 appears to be full of possibilities. Your rendering of water is awesome. I'd really wish to know what settings you used ? Great work Compiler

hauksdottir ( ) posted Tue, 21 January 2003 at 10:06 PM

Attached Link: http://www.cc.jyu.fi/%7Eikeskine/

file_42277.jpg

Water inside an enclosed room, with no drafts on it and no disturbances from people already in it, is very glassy and smooth... especially if it has had all night to recover its equanimity. It is never perfectly smooth, because there are filters and such in operation. I wouldn't rough up the surface any more than this. If you have somebody floating, even if she isn't moving, there will be surface action (which is good, otherwise such an image would appear to reveal a person in jello). While hunting down an image by another artist, I stumbled over this person: Illka Keskinen. He photographs people underwater, and some of the images are stunningly gorgeous and evocative. I want to do this sort of thing with hair in Poser 5 (mermaids very far down), but near-surface images allow for better lighting. Perhaps this will inspire you? I'm adding the site-link, so that you can check out the "pools". Carolly

hauksdottir ( ) posted Tue, 21 January 2003 at 10:16 PM

file_42279.jpg

I can't resist adding another image... (less technical, more artistic) It will be a long time before I can get cloth and hair and water to render like this, but Poser 5 is putting the potential within reach. Carolly

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Tue, 21 January 2003 at 11:17 PM

After going through Ilkka's gallery, I can't help wondering how long those models can hold their breath.

Patricia ( ) posted Tue, 21 January 2003 at 11:50 PM

Wow....Those are so beautiful! I went through every one of them. Makes me realize how little time I have for looking at art other than Poser or Bryce, these days.... Thank you for the link :)

bikermouse ( ) posted Wed, 22 January 2003 at 2:19 AM

L.D., For stuff like that a rebreather would be handy, not so? hauksdottir, I like the hair in that first one of Illka's. tbird, Ignoring the land surface, your water textures look very nice. The second one might be too rough if no one has been in the water for a while, but nothing too bad. All in all looking pretty good. - TJ

tbird10 ( ) posted Wed, 22 January 2003 at 11:09 AM

file_42280.jpg

Thanks for all the comments everyone, I love the photos, they do give me some more ideas, trouble is now, so many ideas, so little time. Here are a couple of images with some surface displacement added.

tbird10 ( ) posted Wed, 22 January 2003 at 11:11 AM

file_42281.jpg

And with the displacement really teaked up - this really slows down the render - In fact you can see that this one crashed out (after 3 hours) :-) The rough surface would be good for a sea, or rough lake, but I prefer the styleised reflections for an indoor pool, or pond

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.