Sat, Sep 21, 2:59 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Using Gradient

harold_u ( ) posted Thu, 11 May 2000 at 12:00 PM · edited Wed, 31 July 2024 at 9:40 PM

Does anybody know of a way to use the gradient tool to color areas with curves. What I want to do is for the gradient to color following a path? Such as if u'r using the gradient to color a bent tube, or an object that follows a path, and try and get the gradient uniform through out the shape, instead of having just go one way.

pam ( ) posted Thu, 11 May 2000 at 4:19 PM

I do not know how to do that with the gradient tool, but you can fake it with a drop shadow. Use the lasso to select the curve, copy/paste it to a new layer, then use a colored drop shadow

dlm ( ) posted Thu, 11 May 2000 at 7:20 PM

As far as I know there is no way of directing the gradient fills in the manner you want.Depending on what your trying to colour another way to duplicate it is by repeated passes of the airbrush,set to screen & using smaller brushes each time.It,s the technique they use to colour comic books & there some good tutorials on it at www.comiccolors.com.

jnmoore ( ) posted Fri, 12 May 2000 at 9:11 AM

If you have Freehand or Illustrator, both of those applications will do what you're looking for (I think Corel Draw will, too). After you've made the gradient you need, export the image back to PhotoShop. Kai's Power Tools 3 has a "Gradient Designer" module which will, supposedly, do gradients on a path, too (I've never used it for that, but the option for "gradient on a path" is in the MODE Menu of the Gradient Designer Module). 'Hope this helps you out.... -Jim Moore

harold_u ( ) posted Fri, 12 May 2000 at 9:18 AM

Thanks alot guys, I'll give them all a try

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.