Thu, Sep 19, 7:04 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 12:56 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Need some Tech Photoshop Help :)

ladynimue ( ) posted Sun, 23 February 2003 at 5:18 PM ยท edited Tue, 10 September 2024 at 10:54 AM

Hi all, I am trying to write a short help guide and need some help writing it... How Ironic is that ;] I am trying to guide Artist who write articles for the Renderosity Magazine how to do Screen Grabs using Photoshop. I just cannot get my Screen Grabs to "Paste" in Photoshop. (I am using Photoshop 7). They work great when doing an [ALT][PrntScreen] and then a [Ctrl][V] in Paint Shop Pro (also version 7. But when I try paste in Photoshop it does nothing :( Not sure what I am doing wrong, but I could sure use some help. Thanks tons in advance. ladynimue

PunkClown ( ) posted Sun, 23 February 2003 at 6:03 PM

That's unusual...on my system I regularly use "print screen" (no alt) and just open up a new document in Photoshop and then "Ctrl-V" paste to it...try print screen without the alt. I hope this helps! :-)>

JordyArt ( ) posted Sun, 23 February 2003 at 6:14 PM

I usually use SHIFT + Print Scrn - Just done it again to convince myself and it worked. Open a new doc as Punksy said and it should even have the size of the new document set for your screen dump. (",)

PunkClown ( ) posted Sun, 23 February 2003 at 6:23 PM

Hmmm shift, alt ~ lol so many choices. Perhaps it's with XP that using print screen "just" by itself works. There's nothing to stop you from trying all of the above ladynimue...hopefully one of them will work for you! And Jordy is right...if the new document opens with your screen resolution/size as its document size...then it's a fairly good indicator that your screen grab has worked) :-)>

ladynimue ( ) posted Sun, 23 February 2003 at 6:56 PM

Ye Gads my reply went Poof!

Thank you so much PC.

I found out what I was doing wrong.
Embarrassed to say... I was not opening the "New" Doc Window in Photoshop. Instead I was just a doing a straight "Paste" into Photoshop,

(Which is how I was able to open a Screen Capture in PSP).

PC - U B my Hero ;]

Thank you as well Jordy :)

You have both come to the aide of a lady in Dee-Stress :)

ladynimue

retrocity ( ) posted Sun, 23 February 2003 at 8:02 PM

Lady, some programs automatically "open" a new document whenever you launch the application (MSWord is a good example, well...an example) PS waits for you to decide.

You're right, the correct steps would be:
Alt+PrintScreen (screen cap to clipboard)
Ctrl+N (new document)
Ctrl+V (paste contents of clipboard)

Cam, the "Alt" with the PrintScreen lets you capture JUST the active window (the one with the "blue bar") hitting the PrintScreen button alone will give you EVERYTHING on your screen (which means you may need to crop...).

nice of you to stop by, hope to see you around more often ;)

:)
retrocity

ladynimue ( ) posted Mon, 24 February 2003 at 1:28 AM

Thanks so much for the extra info :) That really helps to answer a lot of questions. I have been a long time Photoshop User (started with 3.0 back in 1994). I will be sure to take the time to drop by more often :) Thanks again to everyone for your prompt and very thoughtful help :) ladynimue

ficticious ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 3:42 PM

All I have to do is press the prnt scrn button personally... then control-v to paste.

PunkClown ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 7:31 PM

Do you get all screens from your multi-monitor set-up captured with that option fictitious? Just curious coz thats what happens with the Matrox card...I'm grateful to retro for the explanation of the differences between alt-prinscreen & just printscreen, I didn't know that before. Often I don't need both screens from my dual monitor set-up when I want a screen grab. :-)>

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.