Sun, Oct 6, 5:58 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 26 4:27 pm)

Subject: E-on Softwares POTD Rant...well, sort of.

Cheers ( ) posted Sun, 09 March 2003 at 5:43 AM · edited Tue, 30 July 2024 at 4:13 AM

Hmmm, first I will just say congratulations to Philippe for getting todays POTD...it is a very striking scene. Now to the rant; what is the point of having POTD when images are used that contradict the rules for submitting images. Namely: Pictures must be entirely generated using the stated software. No post-processing is allowed. We may ask you for the scene to check... This is not an argument about if you are for or against post-processing (I am personally all for it). Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with Philippes' image, just E-on's lack of enforcment. At least Phillipes addition of text is obvious, some I have seen in the past have been a lot more subtle. Get rid of the rule E-on, it obviously makes no difference to image submissions! Minor rant over, now to more important things like feeding my cats ;o) Cheers

Twitter: Follow @the3dscene

YouTube Channel

--------------- A life?! Cool!! Where do I download one of those?---------------

Phoul ( ) posted Sun, 09 March 2003 at 6:49 AM

file_49409.jpg

Phoul ( ) posted Sun, 09 March 2003 at 6:50 AM

Attached Link: http://www.belino.net/

The little story is... I prefer to create real 3d artwork (I mean 3d animation), without postwork. But some times I like to show to e-on's team my 2D still Vue experiments. So... I suppose they decided to plublish that picture, because it presents a kind of 2d render use. I thought that a few layout added (text and border) can make a funnny poster.

Phoul ( ) posted Sun, 09 March 2003 at 6:52 AM

file_49410.jpg

Cheers ( ) posted Sun, 09 March 2003 at 6:59 AM

I have no problem with it at all Philippe :o) My opinion for some time, is that having that rule means that some amazing images may never be shown in the POTD gallery...some that would do Vue proud. As long as it is mentioned where the poswork is, then I'm happy. Vue allows you to export alpha and depth information, so the use of them should be shown off. Once again, great image Philippe :o) Cheers

Twitter: Follow @the3dscene

YouTube Channel

--------------- A life?! Cool!! Where do I download one of those?---------------

Phoul ( ) posted Sun, 09 March 2003 at 7:04 AM

Cheers,
thanks for the congratulations :-)

Odyssey ( ) posted Sun, 09 March 2003 at 8:58 AM

Hello, First, I want to say that Phoul's picture is very very good :o) Congrats :o) On the other hand, I totally agree with you on the subject of E-on's rules. :o)

BillyGoat ( ) posted Sun, 09 March 2003 at 11:09 AM

That picture is great! I too am struggling with the no-postwork rule. I've just finished a long and tedious scene, rendered right out of Vue. After all that work, it still looks a bit dull. My post work skills are poor, so I use effects plugins to give my renders are little more life. I really admire those of you who can do it all in Vue. My goal is to join your non-post-work group. :-)

rollmops ( ) posted Sun, 09 March 2003 at 12:38 PM

Well, so far as Im concerned, the rules say more or less only that you shouldnt submitt mixed medium images,like the sky rendered in 3d max,the landscape done in bryce and a bit of Vue plants for the rest all mixed up in photoshop. The image should be done in vue.The postprocessing thing is a very indifferent one:what is too much.I dont think that giving the image a final drive is a wrong thing as long as the original idea is still there.Condeming all sorts of postworks as "bad" is nonsense and unprofessional.When i create an image i want to work with all the advantages of a programm,not with faults that always occure.I noticed that some people are signing their works: only done in Vue? I dont think that we should get too puristic.Finally i want to say,that Phillips image is a very good Vue-image. cheers rollmops :-)

http://www.fredivoss.de 

...yippi ah yeah or something like that...

rollmops ( ) posted Sun, 09 March 2003 at 12:40 PM

"Philippe",sorry :-)

http://www.fredivoss.de 

...yippi ah yeah or something like that...

graphicalchemist ( ) posted Sun, 09 March 2003 at 1:31 PM

Congratulations, Philippe! Nice job!

I take it that the image still meets the "spirit" of the rule, since Philippe's additions were the border and text, with the render itself not being otherwise postworked.

Personally, I approve of postworking, but can understand that a product showcase site does not want to give false impressions of what the software is capable of.

BillyGoat ( ) posted Sun, 09 March 2003 at 3:00 PM

rollmops - I agree with you. I've gone as far as asking some of the artists how they did it. Totally none of my business, I know. Some of PODs are so incredible, it's hard to believe they are straight renders. I'm intimidated by the rules at eon, and a refused sumission would blow to hell any confidence I have. This is why i'm concerned over that 'grey' area.

Djeser ( ) posted Sun, 09 March 2003 at 11:38 PM

Posted at the submission page at E-on: **************************************************** Please read the following conditions carefully before submitting your work: -You may only submit one picture per day -Pictures must be entirely generated using the stated software. No post-processing is allowed. We may ask you for the scene to check... -Pictures must be in JPEG format, resolution must be at least 800 pixels wide or 600 pixels high. -Pictures created in Vue d'Esprit must be rendered in Final or higher render quality settings --File size must be no greater than 300kB (a JPEG quality setting of approximately 60 to 70% is ideal) -By sending us your work you indicate your acceptance of the terms and conditions set forth in the Submission Agreement. In short, you warrant that your work is original and does not infringe any intellectual property rights, and you grant e-on software the right to publish your picture (and only your picture). Please read this agreement carefully before submitting your work. *********************************************** The rules say "no post-processing allowed". I like Phoul's picture a lot; the lighting is stunning. But adding the text and border is post-processing.... On several other threads we've had discussions on postwork pros and cons and agreed that some like to use it, others don't. Which is cool. The E-on's own rules state no, so I have to question the integrity of the POD process if some can use some kinds of postwork and others can't.

Sgiathalaich

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.