Wed, Oct 9, 12:22 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Python Scripting

Welcome to the Poser Python Scripting Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Python Scripting F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 2:50 am)

We now have a ProPack Section in the Poser FreeStuff.
Check out the new Poser Python Wish List thread. If you have an idea for a script, jot it down and maybe someone can write it. If you're looking to write a script, check out this thread for useful suggestions.

Also, check out the official Python site for interpreters, sample code, applications, cool links and debuggers. This is THE central site for Python.

You can now attach text files to your posts to pass around scripts. Just attach the script as a txt file like you would a jpg or gif. Since the forum will use a random name for the file in the link, you should give instructions on what the file name should be and where to install it. Its a good idea to usually put that info right in the script file as well.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Hi There!

Hairybiker ( ) posted Fri, 21 March 2003 at 1:36 PM · edited Wed, 09 October 2024 at 10:22 AM

Hi all! Right, here's a wee question... For the sake of arguement, pretend I've been using Poser for a coupla years now, have a fair idea how to use it, but am NOT a programmer... I'm currently learning British Sign Language, and recently heard that someone had written a Python Script to make "signs". Now, I've no idea what Python Scripts are, what they do, or how to make them myself. Would it be possible for someone to explain this to me without making me feel like a chimp? I've already used Poser to make one sign language animation, but I did the whole thing by hand (pardon the pun), frame by frame. Does Python scripting somehow speed this process up, or am I thinking along the wrong lines...? Thanks loads! :-) - Hairy

raven ( ) posted Fri, 21 March 2003 at 4:58 PM

Search for ockham in Poser freestuff-utilities for a script that may suit you.

smokingbevel ( ) posted Thu, 10 April 2003 at 6:49 AM

Warning: general but opinionated runon sentences next If you found the means by which you implemented your project from within the running application to be satisfactory, but tedious, due to the fact you merely repeated the same actions, with only slight changes to specific values, then it would appear that the process is open to some form of "templating" or automation. If such is the case, from my understanding, the purpose of python "scripting" is to assist you in speeding up and/or reducing required effort for the process. Then again, you may consider the possibility, that the application itself, which is designed with a specific solution in mind (+- gimmicks), may not necessarily provide the best means by which to complete a required task, and alternates should be explored. Note: *dated experience limited to two day span of python experimentation, and four month poser usage *dated experience of sign language and relevant models of, limited to above python experience less two day span -smokingbevel

pragask ( ) posted Fri, 04 July 2003 at 11:08 PM

Thanks for the illuminating explanation ... ockham There may be a way to make it easier but takes some effort to set up . First break up the different Poses for keyframing in ASL/BSL by body sections ... eg rUpperLimb, lUpperLimb, torso, head, hands, and so on ... Then pose and save into the Pose library ... using save subselection and selecting only the relevant body parts (save as single pose or animation). You'll have to devise a meaningful system of labelling ... eg lArmSwingFront, rArmThrustUp, lHandOpen and so on . The poses can be adjusted, eg to use pose/animation with interpolation or relabeled and evolved over time . At some point, python can be used to combine and sequence these actions by its loadlibrary function, and drive the animation thru a 'meaning' based interface . That would be comparatively easy as most of the work would have been done in the library .

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.