Fri, Sep 20, 2:18 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Writers

Welcome to the Writers Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Wolfenshire

Writers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 2:16 am)

Writers Gallery

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ---Anton Chekhov

Subject: Poem: Generations Past...

Ianfe ( ) posted Sun, 20 April 2003 at 11:13 PM · edited Mon, 12 August 2024 at 8:10 PM

Generations past. Funny, How the pages dissolve in the damp time, And the ink washes off the writers breath: When the Dust of Ages Falls gently from our marching shoulders; To fall peacefully, As if without regrets, And Fills our treaded foot-tracks. These marks have barely time to exist. No records are left behind Beyond the dead silence of our brief memories. We walk blindly backwards, like beggars, Refusing to see what lies ahead. Our futures, behind us. Our pasts never straying our myopic sight. Not too many steps, then, Lie in the merging lines, We confuse remembrance with ignorance and still we stumble forward. Ian F. Brillembourg

Shoshanna ( ) posted Mon, 21 April 2003 at 11:32 PM

I rather like the idea that we breathe onto the page the words we write. Shanna :-)

tjames ( ) posted Tue, 22 April 2003 at 8:46 AM

It's not that our vision is necessarily myopic. We are so bombarded with simultaneously occuring events that our minds can't possibly process everything immediately. It's only when we dream that the mind tries to take memories and integrate them with current events to test possible futures.

Charmz ( ) posted Wed, 23 April 2003 at 5:21 PM

This is lovely and draws a vivid picture of the reality of those who live in the past. Very well done.

Crescent ( ) posted Wed, 23 April 2003 at 10:17 PM

Very nicely done. You have several lovely metaphors and turns of phrase in your poem.

Ianfe ( ) posted Thu, 24 April 2003 at 7:38 AM

Thanks, guys, for liking my poem. I'm touched.

A_ ( ) posted Sun, 04 May 2003 at 4:04 PM

Another beautiful poem, very vivid and flowing. I liked it. :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.