Thu, Sep 19, 4:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Question concerning gallery image comments

jasonmit ( ) posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 5:51 PM · edited Wed, 31 July 2024 at 5:57 PM

I've noticed that some members get tons of comments on their gallery images, while others like me only get one or two, if that. I would really like to improve my work, so comments are greatly desired. Besides commenting on other artists' work, how can I encourage comments from this fantastic community?

tjohn ( ) posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 6:07 PM

I tried making images that I thought would get comments. It didn't work for me. :^) Then I started making images that I wanted to see. And started getting more comments. I don't get huge numbers of comments, but some images have gotten in the low double digits. My advice is: 1. Do what YOU want to do. 2. Don't post everything you do, just the best. (I should take my own advice, LOL) 3. Keep at it, you will get better with practice, and as you get better, you'll get more comments. 4. Don't let comments or a lack of comments discourage you. Many of the people who comment are very good artists and they can sometimes be very critical. Some are not artists at all, and can be even more critical. 5. Remember that YOU are the best judge of your work. 6. Most important: HAVE FUN! And don't worry what other people think. Tjohn

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

SAMS3D ( ) posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 6:15 PM

I was just at your gallery and left a comment on your newest image....there are so many galleries, I just can't get to them all, but it is good that you said something, I did have time tonight and am glad I went, your gallery is well worth my time. Sharen

SAMS3D ( ) posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 6:16 PM

Actually almost all the galleries are amazing. I never seem to have enough time....sorry to all I have missed. Sharen

GROINGRINDER ( ) posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 6:20 PM

If you really want comments then post a copy of your work in a forum thread. More people look at the forum threads than browse the galleries.

Aldaron ( ) posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 6:22 PM

I'll only comment on things I really like or if a see something that can be improved on an image that grabs my attention in the thumbnail gallery. Don't feel bad, my best image has gotten a mere 196 views with maybe 3 comments while another has only gotten under 100 with 5 comments. As said above just do what you want and if you are working on an image post it hereand you'll get some comments on how to improve it.

ICMgraphics ( ) posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 6:23 PM

Learning & developing your skills takes time. Here is a short list of some things to focus on.
Explore this and other sites for technical info. Observe the artists that you aspire to. Ask questions and post your WIP for input and pointers.
Your gallery looks pretty good so far. Keep on Rendering!!

woodhurst ( ) posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 6:40 PM

agree with Tjohn about everything. i usually look at a pic if the thumbnail, and generally the whole image, grabs my attention. my first few pics that i posted here got maybe 2 or 3 comments, but as I posted more and more over the next few months your works kind of get "recognized" i guess by other people. Dont let the # of comments be the reason u post either, because then you wont be making pics to the fullest of your ability. Browsed theu ur gallery, and it looks great, cant wait to see some more work from you.

shadowdragonlord ( ) posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 7:34 PM

Aye, your image itself really generates the comments. Sometimes we don't post comments on images because it's already been said, and other times because an image might be so lower-class that we wonder why anyone ever posted it in the first place! (my previous identity, dragonrider420, is the culmination of that last statement!) Have no fear, though. We are here to improve, and to achieve "Fine Art" status. Be patient, and if you really want to generate interest in your pieces, do what YOU want to see! Dont' post an image until you're good and ready, no rush here. It's not a popularity contest, it's an art gallery!

Jaymonjay ( ) posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 7:50 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=386607&Start=1&Artist=Jaymonjay&ByArtist=Yes

As a rather humorous (IMO) sidenote, I tried a little experiment last week. I was thinking along the same lines as jasonmit (ie. getting few comments, good or bad, on my work), and was baffled as to what kind of art R'osity members wanted to see. Please understand that I don't normally go in for T&A pictures, but in browsing the galleries, I had noticed that pics with a little skin in them seemed to get all the viewings. Anyways, to make a long story really short, the picture I posted got about 300 views in ONE NIGHT! Now, that's not to say that the picture was total crap (I think it turned out quite well), but it did seem to prove one thing to me: if all you are looking for is kudos, toss a naked babe or two into your art. ;)

If you want a peek at the pic I posted, there's the link.

Ang25 ( ) posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 9:14 PM

For the best advice on how to improve your image, post in the forum and mention you want advice. For comments that oooh and aaaah use the gallery. I almost never post to the gallery anymore, I'm more into the forum for getting tips and how-to's. Ang

Swade ( ) posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 10:23 PM

I made the same observance that Jaymonjay made.... Seems that most people will comment on the T and A pics. I have posted a few images in the forum over the last couple of years and only one of them have I ever posted in the gallery. I see the most objective criticisms here in the forum. And like has been mentioned several times already in this thread.... Do what you want to do. You know what you want your image to say. The peeps here will point out little things that stand out to them that you may have over looked, or that they think might make your image look that much better. They are really helpful in this forum in that respect. I have seen your gallery and you do nice work... Keep up the good work and post your pics here to get good feed back before you post in the gallery. The feed back you get here will help to make that image that will get the ooo's and aaaahhh's in the gallery. Keep on brycin'. 8-) ~Swade~

There are 10 kinds of people: Those who know binary, and those who don't. 

A whiner is about as useful as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest.

alvinylaya ( ) posted Mon, 28 April 2003 at 11:34 PM

I agree with tjohn and shadowdragonlord. To add to that I think people comment because of the following reasons: *Impressive artwork *A controversial subject that people feel strongly about *A hihgly interesting topic that others can relate to But most of all, I think it's very important to MAKE FRIENDS. The best way to make others interested in you is to first be sincerely interested in them. I usually comment on my friends' pics no matter how good or bad it is. Everyone improves at their own pace and have their own style, keep an open mind to them. Lastly, view and comment on other people's galleries... not only is it a good way to make friends, but it's also an awesome way to learn new tricks, links, and ideas. Just remember to enjoy making your art, do it for yourself and not just to please others. If they don't like it, at least you are happy with it... that's what's most important.

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 4:50 AM
Forum Moderator

I find that its the unusual is what gets the comments. That doesn't mean abstract works, I find that there are not that many people who appreciate abstracts. Find a subject no one has tackled before or approach a popular subject in an unusual way. I have loads of ideas that I do a quick render of so that I can save the idea and work on it later. I sometimes wont comment on a pic I think is just alright because I can't always think of something appropriete to say. Which is a shame but that's my problem. DO ask what others think....SOME will be critical, OTHERS complimentary. ALL will give you something to think about, and that's a good thing. You might think about picking one subject and doing loads of variations. REMO did nothing but fairies for ages. I like chess sets and have posted 4 and plan others in the future. MOST OF ALL -- HAVE FUN. Bryce is a fabulously wealthy source of creativity. There is nothing you can't do and with each expression you just get better. Good luck The Bryster

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 4:52 AM
Forum Moderator

BTW - chatting-up Catlin_MC is always a good idea!

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Rayraz ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 6:18 AM

Posting in the forum will probably result in some comments. It also helps to give your image a unique look, a bit of photorealism or GI can generate lot's of comments. And then ofcourse(SP?) nudity helps too. But mostly people post comments if they see something that they think is either original or very difficult to achieve. But it is most important to generate your own style and get a sort of routine in making images that you like. If you stick to what YOU like your image quality will improve and eventually you will get more comments and views. There is also a point in the learning process where lot's of practise is needed to get better. If you want to get better then the average brycer you'll have to practise a lot. The learning curve gets steeper as soon as you get better, you will eventually develop compositional skills and learn how to use lighting effectively. But the better you get the more people are "wowed" by your art/imagery and the more comments you get.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

pakled ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 12:30 PM

It depends, I usually get 0-4 comments (a lot more towards 0..;), but my best hit count is about 160 (and Luna of Lunariad deserves most of the credit..;). Only time it bugs me is if I've done something 'wrong', and want tips to make it 'right' (of course, I could post it in here, but being a 5th-generation Texan, my renders start at 1024x768..;)
I've noticed that 1) T&A, 2) Bright Colors, and 3)Good Artwork tend to get the most hits and comments. Sad that it's in that order..I've been debating making a Poser pic of 2 large mahascas, (is there a chest cam?..;) and nothing else, just to see how many hits it would get. As long as you're making stuff you're satisfied with, that's all that really counts.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

catlin_mc ( ) posted Tue, 29 April 2003 at 8:28 PM

I heard that Bryster.....................watch it. 8D Just do what everyone else here has suggested, they are all true and as ever practice makes you better. You will find your own form soon enough so don't rush, it will come. Catlin

orbital ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2003 at 12:40 PM

THOSE PEOPLE WHO DO SEND YOU A COMMENT, MAKE A POINT OF SENDING THEM A MESSAGE OF THANKS. LIKE ALVIN SAYS, IT'S ALL ABOUT MAKING FRIENDS. WHEN I STARTED TO POST ALL I GOT WAS A COUPLE OF COMMENTS AT MOST, NOW I GET A FAIR FEW, AND MOSTLY FROM REGULARS, IN WHICH I CASE I RETURN THE FAVOUR. I ALSO FOUND STICKING TO A CERTAIN GENRE HELPS YOU TO DEVELOP YOUR SKILLS ANDKEEPS YOU MORE FOCUSED. AS YOU IMPROVE YOU CAN DIVERSIFY, AND BY THIS TIME YOU SHOULD BE GETTING THE RECOGNITION IT DESERVES. AS A LAST POINT I THINK AS A WHOLE WITHIN THE BRYCE COMMUNITY WE SHOULD ALL TRY TO COMMENT MORE, EVEN ON THOSE WITH BASIC SKILLS EVEN IF TO POINT OUT WHAT MIGHT NEED IMPROVING. FOR A WHILE I WAS HAPPIER POSTING AT 3DCOMMUNE BECAUSE I ALWAYS GOT MORE OF A RESPONSE. I THINK RENDEROSITY IS THE BEST SITE FOR TESTING OUT YOUR WORK, COS IF YOU GET PLENTY OF COMMENTS YOU KNOW YOUR WORK DESERVES IT. DON'T GET DISHEARTENED, YOUR TIME WILL COME!!!!!!!!

http://joevinton.blogspot.com/

Doublecrash ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2003 at 7:03 AM

I agree with TJohn about his "list" of things to be remembered. And I agree very much with Alvin about the "friends" thing. It's not a matter of commenting your friends picture, but I noted that, the more feedback you give out to other's images, the more advice and constructive criticism you're willing to give out, the more feedback you will get in return. I try to comment as much as I can, because there's always something to learn, or to appreciate, or to notice, or to criticize, in other people's pictures. Since I'm a Rosity member, my life as a Brycer has become much more fun, mostly because of the feedback given/received. And I agree also with Orbital. I too think we all should try to comment more. The first comments, and the first critics, was incredibly precious for me when I became a member here. Stefano

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.