Fri, Sep 20, 2:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Writers

Welcome to the Writers Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Wolfenshire

Writers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 2:16 am)

Writers Gallery

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ---Anton Chekhov

Subject: Poem: Revelry and pride at the mortal condition

Ianfe ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2003 at 2:09 PM · edited Sat, 27 July 2024 at 3:47 AM

This poem I wrote awhile ago, and just tweaked it again. I thought I'd pass it round for comments and suggestions. I seem to have some problems with its flow, its rythm. So... here goes: "Revelry and pride at the mortal condition" The tide of seasons can bring me stains, marks, and brittle flesh; while losses behind me dot my path with sorrows. My campaign of armies will end in one. I do not grudge life to the ageless: Their endless perfection holds no value to me. Nor do I heed the calls of the envy of years. For me, the seasons are counted. My deeds are limited. The immortals can live forever. I waste no breath in cursing their name. To the hymns of angels I am no witness, I march to the rhythym of the footfalls of death. The immortals can live, and sing forever. We mortals can live, and die for God. Ian F. Brillembourg

chinagirl197 ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2003 at 4:49 PM

Very nice - I feel it had good flow. "My campaign of armies will end in one." - Would have to be my favorite line. Good Work.

tjames ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2003 at 6:25 AM

I seem I recall commenting on this before oh yeah...I made a comment on a song from "Hair":"March of the Dying Men". I still like this poem and it's cadence still reminds me..It's too bad you can't find that movie, you'ld appreciate the connection.

tjames ( ) posted Fri, 02 May 2003 at 12:15 AM

I thought I'd look up the lyrics for this one just so you'ld know what I wqas referring to. We starve-look At one another Short of breath Walking proudly in our winter coats Wearing smells from laboratories Facing a dying nation Of moving paper fantasy Listening for the new told lies With supreme visions of lonely tunes Somewhere Inside something there is a rush of Greatness Who knows what stands in front of Our lives I fashion my future on films in space Silence Tells me secretly Everything Everything

Crescent ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2003 at 12:11 PM

Very nice, very different sentiment. The flow seems fine to me. I couldn't see anything wrong with it. I have a few punctuation nitpicks for you, though.

stains, marks, and brittle flesh;
stains, marks, and brittle flesh**,**
(The next two lines could not form a new, independent sentence, so the semi-colon is not correct.)

*The immortals can live, and sing forever.

We mortals can live, and die for God.*

Either take out the comma each time before the word "and" or put an extra one in after the second phrase: > The immortals can live and sing forever.

We mortals can live and die for God.

or > The immortals can live, and sing, forever.

We mortals can live, and die, for God.

Thanks again for another great poem,

Cres
Wielder of the Red Pen

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.