Mon, Oct 21, 5:06 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 4:13 pm)

Subject: how do you differentiate a swan from a goose, in poser?

Poppi ( ) posted Sat, 17 May 2003 at 7:59 PM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 7:22 PM

yeah, it's a localized poppi problem...and, a dispute in my real world life....what polygon parts would be different...i.e...biggger chest/bill/feet??? can some critter experts please find the time to answer? thanks :*) Pop...Pop...Poppi!!!

Hisminky ( ) posted Sat, 17 May 2003 at 8:50 PM

I'm not an expert, but a swan is MUCH larger overall. Bigger feet, longer neck. I spose it depends more on which type of swan/goose is being compared.

igohigh ( ) posted Sat, 17 May 2003 at 10:29 PM

Swans are deffinatly larger. Also they are more 'elegantly' shapped, more curvey wereas a goose is more duck-like. The neck of the swan is generally longer than that of a goose too.

lhiannan ( ) posted Sat, 17 May 2003 at 10:30 PM

Attached Link: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/ecological_services/nongame/projects/trumpeterswan/id.html

The link references a certain kind of goose and swan, but you can see the difference. Swans are much larger (but it seems more thin) than a goose and have much longer necks (isn't it refered to as "snake-like"?). Personally, I think geese just look like fat, ugly ducks with shorter, thicker beaks. But, that is also the opinion of someone who was chased and consequently bitten repeatedly by a goose at the local park as a little girl. I did a Google search with the words "difference between a swan and goose" (no quotes) and it turned up quite a few useful links, but you'd have to dig through a few pages of garbage as well.

ssalter ( ) posted Sat, 17 May 2003 at 10:32 PM

A swan can be appreciated by anyone but a goose to the wrong person can get you slapped.

igohigh ( ) posted Sun, 18 May 2003 at 12:07 AM

file_58921.jpg

Which of these dose Not belong?

Spit ( ) posted Sun, 18 May 2003 at 12:21 AM

LOL!

tasquah ( ) posted Sun, 18 May 2003 at 12:32 AM

file_58922.jpg

LoL ssalter. I know both birds quite well Poppi . I can say from first hand experience a swan is HUGE !! i am talking a neck as big and long as my arm and i have a pretty big arm. There dispositinons are quite different as well. A goose isnt the smartest of birds but swans are pretty smart and loveing or the ones i met were.

tasquah ( ) posted Sun, 18 May 2003 at 12:43 AM

file_58923.jpg

Beak / head Close up

tasquah ( ) posted Sun, 18 May 2003 at 12:44 AM

file_58924.jpg

Foot close up

EricofSD ( ) posted Sun, 18 May 2003 at 1:10 AM

And where might we get a poseable swan like message 8 above in the top right that can stick its head up its... (One of these days I'm going to make a JarJar so that you can see me sitting in the corner with with him.)

jade_nyc ( ) posted Sun, 18 May 2003 at 9:12 AM

bloodsong has a swan Eric - you can find it at 3D Menagerie under Goodies/3D/Poser down the page towards the bottom. http://www.3dmenagerie.com

igohigh ( ) posted Sun, 18 May 2003 at 11:16 AM

Message 6 is a sample of Bloodsong's free Swan Pack. It comes with the Canadian Goose texture, white Swan texture, and baby Cygnet morph with texture. I think when you try breeding the two together is when you get the little green critter, so keep them in different folders please! Hey Poppi, while making yours remember Swans also come in Black!!!

Poppi ( ) posted Sun, 18 May 2003 at 11:17 AM

thanks, all...nice pictures...well, i did mistake a goose for a swan, the other day....i don't think i've ever seen a real swan in the wild.

Patricia ( ) posted Sun, 18 May 2003 at 12:00 PM

I've used and appreciated Bloodsong's swan, but I wish so much that either Bloodsong, DAZ or Vista would come out with a really hi-res swan model. One comparable to the Millenium figures.... A pair of wild swans helped me through the darkest year of my life, and since then I've wanted to write and illustrate--in Poser-- a children's story built around them :)

EsnRedshirt ( ) posted Sun, 18 May 2003 at 12:29 PM

file_58925.jpg

Don and Judy present, "The Goose"

Sorry, couldn't help myself ;)

artnik ( ) posted Sun, 18 May 2003 at 3:12 PM

Where I live (a N.W. suburb of Chi-town),We are over-run with the stupid geese. They're Canadian geese, but never go to Canada. They are noisy, messy and not my favorite birds. We have to tiptoe thru the "goose mines" whenever they drop by. No pun intended, but applicable nonetheless. I love to watch them in the sky, on the water, in the woods, WHERE THEY BELONG! Not on my front or back lawn or sidewalk. Anyway I wonder what visitors swans would be, they certainly look beautiful. We also have a lot of gulls and a few ducks around. The ducks are cute. We have a pair thar visits every so often. Oddly enough, we hardly ever see pigeons here.

Caly ( ) posted Sun, 18 May 2003 at 4:18 PM

I would love a 'Millenium-style' Swan/Duck set... Yoohooo, modelers.... ;) And yes, black swans are awful pretty. And I was chased by a darn goose as a child.

Calypso Dreams... My Art- http://www.calypso-dreams.com

Renderosity Gallery

Orio ( ) posted Sun, 18 May 2003 at 5:59 PM

file_58926.jpg

In the small lake of my hometown, we have them all. I have made a comparison photo collage. They tend to live on their own and not mix, except when very hungry, so I don't really have photos of them close to each other. But I have seen them a lot and I can tell you that swans are rougher 4 times bigger than normal ducks and 2 times bigger than normal geese.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.