Sun, Oct 6, 7:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Tech question re: props and mat files...

ziggie ( ) posted Fri, 30 May 2003 at 1:02 PM · edited Tue, 03 September 2024 at 8:45 AM

Is it possible to change the material settings of a 'prop' in PPP via the Poses folder as can be done with figures (characters/clothing)...? I would like to be able to change the texture, reflection, bump, transparency of some props with a one click approach rather than have to go into the Surface Material box every time to make multiple changes. If it is possible... could somebody please explain how it is done. ziggie

"You don't have to be mad to use Poser... but it helps"

Sacred Rose ( ) posted Fri, 30 May 2003 at 1:37 PM

Hi Ziggie :) I think THIS Post might have the treasure you seek :) ~SR

ziggie ( ) posted Fri, 30 May 2003 at 2:16 PM

Sacred Rose: many thanks... will try it out later. In general the props will be parented to a figure, so... it might just work. Will let you know. ziggie

maclean ( ) posted Fri, 30 May 2003 at 2:24 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=10139&Form.ShowMessage=1258117

ziggie, That thread is NOT the answer.... but.... you happen to be asking this question at the right time because les bentley and migal have come up with an amazingly easy way of doing this. Actually, lovely lady wasn't far off the mark. All you need to do is replace the line 'prop' with the line 'actor'. So 'prop box_1' becomes 'actor box_1' This method will work with unparented props, as long as you have some kind of figure in the scene. See the linked thread for details. mac

ziggie ( ) posted Fri, 30 May 2003 at 2:32 PM

maclean: many thanks... will try it out later :)

ziggie ( ) posted Fri, 30 May 2003 at 5:37 PM

LOL.... Thanks for the link maclean. Works perfectly... with the only provision being as stated in the link... there must be a figure in the document. But as the props I am working on are for a figure that is no problem. ziggie

maclean ( ) posted Fri, 30 May 2003 at 9:23 PM

Yep, it works. As I said, you just asked at the right time. Up until a few days ago, no one had cracked this one. And it one of the most asked questions on the forum. Thanks to migal and les and their curiousity, it's now possible. Viva le hackers! mac

tasquah ( ) posted Sat, 31 May 2003 at 12:23 AM

Thanks for the heads up maclean.

tasquah ( ) posted Sat, 31 May 2003 at 12:29 AM

thought of a few questions . Is there any cross talk issues with this ? say i have 2 or 3 of the same prop in a scene and i only want to mat one of them .

ziggie ( ) posted Sat, 31 May 2003 at 4:15 AM

tasquah: I have found that there is no cross talk issue. I have loaded the same prop in the same document several times. When I apply the mat as described above... it only affects/applies the mat to the first of the props. I guess because that prop is 'prop_1:1' I see the problem being if you did want to apply the mat to more than one of the same prop. The only consolation is that the mat settings for the first prop would be in the Surface Material box and could be esily copied for the second or more of the same prop. As for the main issue... it works GREAT... I have set up 5 different mat files including a white mat for the same prop and they all work at the click of the respective icon. ziggie

maclean ( ) posted Sat, 31 May 2003 at 9:35 AM

If you have more than one of the same prop in a scene, poser names them '_1'. '_2', etc. If you want to affect multiple instances of a prop, you would have to change the MAT file for each prop number, so it reads 'actor prop_2', 'actor prop_3', etc. When poser applies a MAT to a specific actor (body part), it goes through the entire scene until it finds the actor it's looking for. I haven't tried this with props yet, but in theory, even if you apply the prop MAT to the figure, it should still only affect the prop itself, (unless the figure happened to have the same materials and body part as the prop). It's unfortunate, but as far I know, there's no way round poser's numbering system. mac

judith ( ) posted Sat, 31 May 2003 at 9:43 AM

Awwww rats! You had me until #11. What would be perfect is if Poser had a wildcard symbol, any chance that may have been overlooked Probably not, but one can always hope. sigh Thanks for the info though, it's good to know!

What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

E-mail | Renderosity Homepage | Renderosity Store | RDNA Store

tasquah ( ) posted Sat, 31 May 2003 at 10:21 AM

Hey thanks for all the great advise. Going to have to play with this some .

JohnRender ( ) posted Mon, 02 June 2003 at 1:19 PM

{Hi Ziggie :) I think THIS Post might have the treasure you seek :) Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=10139&Form.ShowMessage=1258117} That's what I love about this place: if you have a question, just ask. Other people will SEARCH the forum for you! Why actually spend your own time clicking the SEARCH link when other people can do it for you?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.