Tue, Oct 22, 2:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 1:40 am)

Subject: Two Querys- 1.reflection maps, and 2. What is Elefont and where do you get it?

artnik ( ) posted Sat, 17 June 2000 at 1:21 AM ยท edited Mon, 29 July 2024 at 6:44 AM

Maybe I'm just dense, but I read thru the manual info on reflection maps at least three times, and I still don't understand how I would make one. What type of image are they talking about? How, exactly, do you use a sphere for a map? Which is better, and why? It's really very unclear; to me, anyway. Next question- What is Elefont and where do I find it? I'm for any and all tools that can be useful in my graphics work. Between all the fantastic Poser stuff and helpful ideas, my collection is expanding almost daily! Thanx, to all, from an appreciative semi-newbie. You know who you are.

bushi ( ) posted Sat, 17 June 2000 at 1:47 AM

Check the message I posted to Deal a couple of messages down. I'm including the reflection that was used on the pocket watch. It seems that small, simple maps work the best. There doesn't seem a best way to explain how to do them other then having an example as a starting point and tinkering. Very non-intuitive. Oops! I forgot that you can't post an image with a reply. OK, I'll upload it to my site. Grab this: http://bushi3d.com/images/goldtex5.jpg

jschoen ( ) posted Sat, 17 June 2000 at 7:03 AM

ref.jpg- - - - - -

Here's the short answer: Any picture can be a reflection map. But you should think of the image wraping on a sphere. meaning only that when it is applied it circles the entire staging area, as if you placed a giant sphere in the scene and the objects that reflect, will reflect this picture. But the picture is a rectangle, it just wraps on an imaginary sphere in the scene. Hope this helps a little. James

picnic ( ) posted Sat, 17 June 2000 at 9:19 AM

Really good explanation James.

cooler ( ) posted Sat, 17 June 2000 at 10:07 AM

Elefont is a 3D text generator that will export in either DXF or POV-Ray format & is available at... http://www.armanisoft.ch

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.