Fri, Oct 4, 2:30 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:12 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: What would you suggest.....sphere or cube

dlk30341 ( ) posted Thu, 03 July 2003 at 4:27 PM ยท edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 4:09 AM

I mainly want to create animals...would you suggest starting out with a sphere or cube...I'm thinking sphere..but since I'm new at this I'd like some opinions TIA

BazC ( ) posted Thu, 03 July 2003 at 4:55 PM

A cube is the usual primitive most people start with but it will depend on what you're modelling . The problem with starting with a sphere is that you start out with undesirable geometry at the poles since they usually consist of a whole load of triangles coming together at one point. Something you usually want to avoid. - Baz

swishy ( ) posted Thu, 03 July 2003 at 5:22 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=1205290

You can find a solution to the cube/sphere problem here. I know that you're using Wings as I've seen you're posts in the Wings forum. I found these posts especially useful when starting out. Happy modelling.

illicit ( ) posted Fri, 04 July 2003 at 9:50 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=989756

Theres a great quadruped tutorial in the LW forum, its not really software specific though...

BazC ( ) posted Fri, 04 July 2003 at 10:13 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=1005918

Hehe, well if you're using Wings I rewrote that tutorial for Wings! If you want to try it watch out for a major typo! I said you should press backspace to deselect, this will actually DELETE, I shoud have put press spacebar to deselect. Don't worry if you do accidently delete anything just undo and you'll be OK!

Here's part 1

BazC ( ) posted Fri, 04 July 2003 at 10:17 AM
dlk30341 ( ) posted Fri, 04 July 2003 at 11:09 AM

Thanks guys...printing it out now :)

Teyon ( ) posted Tue, 08 July 2003 at 7:23 PM

Have you tried cylinders? I find them fast and usefull in GMAX.

bikermouse ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2003 at 5:42 AM

Alot of information here. Thank you all!!; yes! cylinders seem to have potential for limbs, main body trunks(chests etc) when I get better at modeling I'm sure I'll be using many cylinders for these parts.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.