Wed, Oct 23, 12:39 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 20 9:28 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Needing info on a good modeling program

DanaanD ( ) posted Tue, 15 July 2003 at 9:28 AM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 10:33 AM

ok all,,,I need to know what program someone would sudjest for modeling clothing. I can make textures no problem but wanting a subjestion on what would be user friendly and have a good polycount on the mesh.

Cybermonk ( ) posted Tue, 15 July 2003 at 9:55 AM

Attached Link: http://www.wings3d.com/

Try wings 3d out. Its user friendly and free. With a little practice you can produce efficient meshes.

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination".

Albert Einstein

pakled ( ) posted Tue, 15 July 2003 at 12:17 PM

I've heard Lightwave is used quite a bit..some 3d max (?), but Wings is a good place to start. You might want to pop over to the Poser forum, a lot of the Clothing modellers hang out there..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

BazC ( ) posted Tue, 15 July 2003 at 4:45 PM

I'd suggest Wings too. It's very easy to learn and is one of the best sub division modellers avilable. It's a solid modeller though so you need to learn how to make things hollow. It's very easy, just select the neck, wrist, ankle or waist areas of your clothing and assign a hole material to it which will be deleted on export or use the intrude command and drag your mouse to give the desired thickness of the cloth. This will make more sense when you start playing with the programme :o) - Baz

ElectricAardvark ( ) posted Tue, 15 July 2003 at 5:39 PM

Err,...do you know how to do any modeling on any app? Just curious, cause if your new to modeling you may want to start out with something a little easier than clothing. To answer your question: It doesn't matter what program you use, as long as it works for you.

cryptojoe ( ) posted Tue, 15 July 2003 at 7:20 PM

Probably one of the best modelers at R'osity is Teyon. He uses a multitude of modelers for poser stuff. Personally I prefer Rhino 3D. Intuitive user interface and extremely versatile, the Demo is free to download.

Good Luck

Joe

Yank My Doodle, It's a Dandy!

DanaanD ( ) posted Tue, 15 July 2003 at 8:00 PM

I am semi new to modeling,,,have only done very minor things. but I am needing to get my feet wet some how and my main thing is needing to making clothing for a character model I am developing. now I can texture like crazy,,,have just never done any serious modeling yet.

ElectricAardvark ( ) posted Tue, 15 July 2003 at 9:58 PM

Well, I suggest you pick an app, and use it exclusivly until you feel extreemly comfortable with it. Then if you want to look around at other apps, you'l have a good basic knowlage of the overall workings. I say this because trying to learn more than one app at a time is counter productive. For instance; Max and Lightwave are so completely different in regards to modeling style, that you can get really confused and end up not learning very much from either one. I'd start with Wings. It's really easy to learn, and hass almost all the elements you'll find in any modeler. Including a couple that Max doesn't have (grr). But once you learn it, all the same knowlage applies in almost any app...you just have to learn where the keys are in that particular app. Good luck to ya.

quinlor ( ) posted Wed, 16 July 2003 at 9:39 AM

Rino has the advantage that there are very good tutorials to make poser clothes with it. Look at RuntimeDNAs Rino-forum. The rino demo was the first programm I was able to do poser-chlothes with. On the other hand, now I greatly prefer Wings3D, because I find the wings the fastest and easiest modeling programm I ever tryed. Stefan

Mercytoo ( ) posted Mon, 11 August 2003 at 3:53 AM

I know I didn't origionally post this thread, but this is just what i was looking for. Thanks to all. I think I'll give wings a try myself.

mon1alpha ( ) posted Wed, 10 September 2003 at 6:08 AM

Me too...thanks folks. Is Cinema4d of any use for Poser clothing? It's on 50% off sale at a store near me :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.