Sun, Oct 6, 7:40 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Remapping Help - Poser 3

Revelation-23 ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2003 at 7:39 PM ยท edited Sat, 10 August 2024 at 8:08 AM

Two questions actually... 1: Is there a way I can remap the Poser 3 figures, and yet keep the originals as well? I used UV Mapper to remap a few of the figures, but they seem to only work when I replace the original with the remapped .OBJ as opposed to making a new Geometries folder and corresponding .CR2 file - which is what I want, as I'd like to be able to use both the remapped versions and the original versions of various figures in Poser. Is there something other than ResFile in the .CR2 (and possibly the references to texture maps) files that I need to keep in mind in order to use both originals and remapped versions? 2: Can I have separate texture maps for different parts, as opposed to having them all a part of a single texture map (for example, having the head and the hands separate from the rest of the figure)? Can this be done, and if so, do I need to use anything other than Poser, UV Mapper and Paint Shop Pro?

maclean ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2003 at 7:56 PM

If you remap any geometry, you must save the obj with the new mapping coordinates, otherwise the new map won't work. In your case, if you don't want to overwrite the old geometry, what you have to do is save the obj from uv mapper with a new name, then hack the cr2 to point to this new obj file. It's not difficult. Open up the cr2 for the figure you're using in a text editor. At the beginning and then a bit further down, you'll see a line like this figureResFile :Runtime:Geometries:P4NudeWoman:P4NudeWom.obj You need to change the obj name to your new name. Like this figureResFile :Runtime:Geometries:P4NudeWoman:myname.obj There 2 of these lines and you have to change them both. You must also make sure that the obj is in the correct folder and remember that poser is case-sensitive. So 'MyName.obj' is different from 'myname.obj' OK. This is all poser 4-based information, but it should be the same in poser 3. As far as texturing different parts goes, that depends on how you map the figure. I have no idea if you can split up a p3 figure. You can perhaps select the hands and maximise them to the full size of the template. Then you make separate templates by hiding everything you DON'T want to see, and pressing ctrl-t (for template). Then check the box that says 'exclude hidden facets', and uv mapper will save a template of that part only. Yell if this isn't quite clear. mac

maclean ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2003 at 8:00 PM

PS If you save an new obj with the same name as the old one (ie. you overwrite the old one), you MUST delete the corresponding .rsr file in the Geometries folder. That .rsr (resource) file contains the mapping information from the obj and poser builds it as a fast way to read the info when it opens a figure. If you don't delete the old .rsr, poser is still reading old mapping information, so your new texture won't work. mac

Revelation-23 ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2003 at 8:16 PM

I did delete the .RSR file when using the remapped file (the one with the same name as the original). For the new versions, I had renamed them and changed references to the original in existing .CR2's to the new name and directory. I made sure everything was the same case and that I had the right directory (in my case ../Runtime/Geometries/Revelation - no go. If I recall correctly, I got an error message saying C Exception Handler or something like that. The remapped version works perfectly when I replace the original with it (renaming the orignal to preserve it). Is there any other line in the CR2 that I need to look at other than figureResFile?

maclean ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2003 at 8:36 PM

Hmmm....odd. As I said, I don't know about poser 3, but everything you did would have worked for poser 4. There are only the 2 figureResFile lines in a cr2, and nothing else needs to be changed, so I'm not sure what the problem can be. Unless this is some poser 3 phenomenon that I don't know about. mac

Revelation-23 ( ) posted Wed, 30 July 2003 at 9:05 PM

I'll give it another shot when I fire Poser up again. At least I know I was looking at the right things. Thanks much.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2003 at 5:10 AM

Have you installed the 3.01 upgrade? That seems to be pretty essential for any sort of satisfaction with Poser 3. :) I believe you can still get it from Curious Labs if yours is 3.0.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.