Fri, Sep 20, 6:36 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Extremely Simple GI Test

Kixum ( ) posted Mon, 04 August 2003 at 12:07 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 4:27 AM

file_69977.jpg

Here's an image I built to do a simple test of the new GI engine. 1.) It's a lot easier to set it so that you can get good results. 2.) The skylight controls are pretty spiff. The top image was rendered at 1280X1024 with the settings up pretty high (none all the way though). The render took five hours. The floor texture has an extreme bump in it and that challenged the render time significantly. The bottom image is a raytraced flavor with the ambient light turned up to get a similar kind of lighting level. It's clear how much better the GI image is. -Kix

-Kix

TOXE ( ) posted Mon, 04 August 2003 at 7:22 AM

Nice lighting, i think that architectural subjects are the better to make test with GI. Just a little curiosity, which computer you've used? I think that 5 hours of rendering are too much for this kind of image, because it seems to have basic textures and geometry. You have used also indirect light? -TOXE

Kixum ( ) posted Mon, 04 August 2003 at 10:09 AM

I have used indirect light. The floor is a "carpet" I've tried to simulate with a challenging bump map. I re-rendered my pod racer last night and it took less than half the time. The geometry in that image is MUCH higher. I noticed my machine barely creeped along when it worked on the blue carpet for this image. Shadows came out great though! -Kix

-Kix

IBox ( ) posted Mon, 04 August 2003 at 3:35 PM

I agree, it looks great....

mateo_sancarlos ( ) posted Mon, 04 August 2003 at 3:50 PM

Yeah, it's a big improvement. The ray-trace didn't allow the carpet blue to be picked up by the walls, nor did the ray-trace differentiate between the window-sill shadows and the interior shadows. They both got similar edge-diffraction effects, however.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.