Tue, Oct 22, 12:38 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 11:57 pm)

Subject: What size should a texture be?

n0s4ra2 ( ) posted Tue, 19 August 2003 at 7:50 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 12:32 AM

I know this can go different ways i.e. size of the texture in pixels and size of the texture in Megs. My question is both. Should I sacrifice detail for size?

RawArt ( ) posted Tue, 19 August 2003 at 9:22 AM

I personally like working with 2000x2000px (approx depending on shape). It gives a nice amount of detail for close-ups, while not making the files too heavy to work with. But thats just me :)

Caly ( ) posted Tue, 19 August 2003 at 9:51 AM

I can always shrink it down as needed. :) Small textures look terrible when enlarged.

Calypso Dreams... My Art- http://www.calypso-dreams.com

Renderosity Gallery

Darth_Wookie ( ) posted Tue, 19 August 2003 at 10:04 AM

file_72388.jpg

I debate this issue, I guess the size all depends upon how detailed you want the model to be. Like my Darth Maul model, he has the standard 2000 X 2000 sized map for the head texture.... BUT I wanted a highly detailed bump map so I made that 4000 X 4000. I think it all depends upon the level of detail you want to capture in your model.

galactron22 ( ) posted Tue, 19 August 2003 at 10:27 AM

So what is the maximum size?

Ask me a question, and I'll give you an answer.

Spanki ( ) posted Tue, 19 August 2003 at 10:42 AM

Some food for thought... Just for the sake of discussion (and to make it easy), let's assume that on Mike's head texture, the UV map is split front/back and each take up 50% of the map. So on a 4000 pixel wide map, the front took up 2000 pixels of that and the back of the head took up 2000 pixels. Ok, so let's assume that the textures you create are indeed 4000 pixels wide (2000 front and 2000 back)... on an image like above, where the front of his head takes up less than half the width of a 640 pixel wide image (let's just say that it takes up 400 pixels, just to make it easy), then the software has to average 2000 pixels of texture into a 400 pixel space. Meaning that you can actually get 'less definition' in your image, because you throw out (or muddy up with averaging) 4 out of every 5 pixels of texture/bump. On the other hand, if you render a 1000 pixel wide image of half of his face (something like centered up, with maybe the edges of his eyes on the edges of the image), you'd get a 1-to-1 (roughly) texture->image ratio. In short, unless you're going to be rendering large images of extreme close-ups, 4000 is overkill. On the other hand, if you're creating textures that others will use, and you don't know how they intend to use them, it's always easier to scale down than up, so bigger is better unless there are filesize issues. Personally, I almost never use textures over about 3000 and I'd rather buy nicely detailed (and lower compression setting) 2000 sized textures than highly compressed 4000 sized textures when it comes to dimension vs. filesize vs. image quality.

Cinema4D Plugins (Home of Riptide, Riptide Pro, Undertow, Morph Mill, KyamaSlide and I/Ogre plugins) Poser products Freelance Modelling, Poser Rigging, UV-mapping work for hire.

xoconostle ( ) posted Tue, 19 August 2003 at 11:46 AM

What Spanki said. :-) The answer depends upon how the texture is going to be applied, though. If you're talking about a UV-mapped mesh, then obviously a higher-res texture will yield higher-res renders. However, I purchased some large leather textures here some time ago, and have found them to be useless in Poser, because the app doesn't allow for scaling at all. (P4/PP ... I don't know about P5.) I can't, say, assign them as a material to a dress or purse for Victoria, because the scaling is all wrong. I've tried shrinking them in Photoshop, but that didn't seem to help. They're fine in Vue, because Vue gives you lots of control over textures, but in Poser there can be "issues."

galactron22 ( ) posted Tue, 19 August 2003 at 12:52 PM

I understand all that jibbajabba, but what is the maximum size and resolution that the application allows to be used.

Ask me a question, and I'll give you an answer.

Caly ( ) posted Tue, 19 August 2003 at 2:21 PM

Poser 4 seems to be limited to 4096. I don't know about Poser 5.

Calypso Dreams... My Art- http://www.calypso-dreams.com

Renderosity Gallery

Spit ( ) posted Tue, 19 August 2003 at 4:18 PM

I recently rendered a Vicky 3 in Bryce. Her head ended up less than 100 pixels tall. Her face texture was 4000x4000 which I hadn't even noticed. WHAT A WASTE OF RAM. LOL

n0s4ra2 ( ) posted Wed, 20 August 2003 at 6:18 AM

Thanks for the responses and views on this subject.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.