Sun, Sep 22, 5:25 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Does anyone know if C-3 is optimized for mac g5

GrantH ( ) posted Wed, 15 October 2003 at 9:36 AM · edited Thu, 01 August 2024 at 4:16 AM

I know that Adobe has already released a plug-in to take advantage of g5 64 bit capabilities. Got an email from Vue d'Esprit about Vue Pro (new product) and it's optimized for g5. Haven't run accross anything about C-3 being g5 optimized to be 64 bit enabled. Anyone know anything about this?

Also, in render room on mac: the "multithread" button is checked and grayed out. Does anyone know if C-3 uses "multithread" to refer to multi-processing on the mac as well as PC (used to be called smpt on mac) and is C-3 multiprocessor enabled for the mac. I use OS X at home but have a really old g3 with 800 mhz upgrade card (singe processor g3); I use a dual g4 at work but am running OS 9+(but not for long) so I can't tell if C-3 is multiprocessor enabled on the mac but only for OS X or what -- can't wait to get my new g5 at work :-), wish I could afford one at home :-(

bluetone ( ) posted Wed, 15 October 2003 at 11:13 AM

You are correct in that multi-threading is only available on OSX. That's because of the system only recognizing it in OSX, and then C3 (or, C2 for that matter,) can access it as well. I use OSX on my home machine, a dual 1Gig machine, and it is the balls! Everything is done in half the time! Yeah! When you are doing a render, if you've noticed the yellow box that shows where it's rendering, it becomes a yellow box with a '1' on it, and a 2nd red box with a '2' also appears and they both swap off areas of the render. It works. It works well. Try it, you'll like it. ;>

mateo_sancarlos ( ) posted Wed, 15 October 2003 at 2:57 PM

I noticed the 1 and 2 boxes, but didn't know what they meant. I tried to use MenuMeters to show CPU usage, but Carrara hides the menu bar. How might we re-expose the menu bar so MenuMeters will display? Carrara also has the OpenGL option (which is not checked by default) for speeding up preview operations.

robertzavala ( ) posted Thu, 16 October 2003 at 2:09 AM

Just got new Dual G5s at work and rendered the global illumination file with the trumpet at 300 dpi. Rendered in 4min. 32 sec compared to my 733 G4 which did the same file in 20 min 35 sec. NICE

Pinklet ( ) posted Thu, 16 October 2003 at 4:41 PM

I just rendered the trumpet at 300 dpi on a mirrored door dual G-4 876 and it took 10 min 33 seconds so it seems right, the dual G5 is running at two gigahertz so it should to the job at half the time. But I don't think Carrara has been updated for the G-5 yet. What we see here is simply the deference in clock cycles.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.