Sat, Oct 5, 6:10 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 5:47 am)

Subject: Scaling an imported prop

Sue88 ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 10:52 AM · edited Sun, 28 July 2024 at 1:21 PM

I want to Poserize an armchair that I made in trueSpace (to be put up in the Poser free stuff area), but I stumped by the scaling. I imported the model into Poser, scaled it, then exported it out as an .obj file. When I re-import it with the default options, the object is back to its old size. It's only the correct size if I import it with all options disabled. Why? I tried everything I could think of; scaled it in trueSpace, Deep Exploration, saved the scaled version to the prop library then loaded that one, exported it, re-imported it, always with the same results. I looked at a couple of other .obj files in the Geometries folder, and some of them are big when I import them, and others are the correct size. So, is there something I'm not doing (or not doing right), and does this whole thing really matter? I mean if I supply the .pp2 file and also the .obj file, and people load it from the Props library and it's scaled all right then, then does it matter if there's this issue with the scale if they just import the .obj instead of loading it from the Props library?

Sue88 ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 10:53 AM

I wish there was an Edit function... I meant, "I'm stumped"...

estherau ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 10:59 AM

can't you just scale it now in poser then resave it? Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

Kelderek ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 11:02 AM

I never figured out how scaling works for imported obj files in Poser, it's very confusing... But: If you supply it as a pp2 file, Poser users will not need the obj file at all. The geometry is embedded in the pp2. People will just load your prop from the Props library and the scaling will be as you intended. No need to include the obj file in your package unless you want users of other applications to use the armchair as well.

Sue88 ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 11:18 AM

Thank you, Esther and Kelderek. :) Esther: I tried scaling it in Poser, then saving it in the prop library and exporting it as a new object, with the same results. Kelderek: Yeah, I guess maybe that's what I'll do. If people want the .obj file then they can always just load the prop from the library, then export it out. I just thought it would be nice to include the .obj (as a convenience I guess). :)

SAMS3D ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 11:44 AM

Attached Link: http://www.sams3d.com/Tutorial.htm

Are you deleting the rsr in the geometries folder before you import back in, cause that will always revert back to the original that cause the rsr. When I need to scale something down, this is what I do, I import into Poser, do the scaling, then export it out, do my thing in UV mapper and save it. Then I create a phi file for it, and open poser up and do a convert the hier...then it comes in at the exact scale I made when I first bought it in, it works for poseable props and static props. Go get my tutorial on how to make an object poseable and go to the section of making the phi file and you will have no problems after that. It is really easy. Sharen

Jaager ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 12:39 PM

The default options on Poser import are not the best for those who construct models. Why are you rescaling on your second import? You exported it from Poser the size you wanted the first fine. Just import it as it is this time. One more trick: Take the object that you exported the proper scale, into UVMapper and save it without normals. Poser does not use "vn" and it will reduce the file size by 1/4-1/3. 1)Props are better provided as external call, not embedded. 2) If you intend to do any morphs, the OBJ you exported needs to be your stock and when you make a Poser file of it, if you do have it as an embedded prop, your import options need to be no boxes checked. The options that scale or move the OBJ will make any morphs useless. The import options make a different geometry of it from the one you imported.

Sue88 ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 1:07 PM

Sharen, Thank you for your suggestions, I'll try them out. :) Jaager, Thank you, too. :) I just tried importing the scaled object to sort of simulate people bringing it into Poser that way and to see how it would go then. After I had done the scaling and exporting, I tried to re-import it at 100% scale, and that's when it came in big. It came in fine with no options checked. Thank you all for your help!

seeklight ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 1:20 PM

file_81200.jpg

lo here ya go a pic is easier than words regards seeklight

RHaseltine ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 1:40 PM

The percent of standard figure size sets how big the object is in relation to a nominal "standard figure" (P2 male, I think was suggested a while back), so that will resize your saved object unless it happens to be that big anyway.

Sue88 ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 2:23 PM

Thank you all.:) RHaseltine, Ahhh, looks like I misunderstood the percent of standard figure size option. Thank you for clearing that up!

geep ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 7:40 PM

file_81201.jpg

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

Sue88 ( ) posted Thu, 23 October 2003 at 9:54 PM

Thank you, Dr. Geep! This is a keeper. :) I've made nice progress, thanks to all the help. I'll let you know when the armchair is up. :)

Bladesmith ( ) posted Fri, 24 October 2003 at 12:37 AM

I find Lesbently's calipers figure to be most useful for determining scale of imports... I never include bodypart, exact internal, or figure names with my exports, just the existing groups... That's just the way I like to do it, keeps the origional group names intact. Stuff for bryce gets run through Grouper to simplify the materials.

Sue88 ( ) posted Fri, 24 October 2003 at 6:29 PM

Attached Link: http://www.render-lab.com/Render-lab_Downloads.htm

file_81202.jpg

Thank you for all the help, everybody. :) The armchair is now up at my site at the attached link. If you find any problems, please let me know.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.