Thu, Sep 19, 9:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: fluted colomns

ninhalo5 ( ) posted Tue, 08 August 2000 at 7:23 AM · edited Mon, 16 September 2024 at 5:34 PM

could anyone tell me how i can either make a fluted colomn or find i previously made model for bryce?

buddha ( ) posted Tue, 08 August 2000 at 8:35 AM

In Bryce create a central cylinder object and place the desired number of smaller cylinders around the perimeter so that they will cut into the central one the desired amount. These smaller cylinders are then negative booleaned and the resulting first cylinder will appear fluted - I hope!

Caligula ( ) posted Tue, 08 August 2000 at 12:43 PM

Another way to do it is to boolean together a cone and a cylindar.

Quikp51 ( ) posted Tue, 08 August 2000 at 3:09 PM

Or you could use Windows Paint , if you have no other 2D package , and make the shape of the column from the top view then import it as a greyscale and extract the shape as a lattice. This way you only have one object to deal with. My 2 pennies. BTW the best way to accomplish this is make a large circle then use a smaller circle to 'paint out' the fluted edges. Late!

ninhalo5 ( ) posted Tue, 08 August 2000 at 8:36 PM

ok guys thanx for the help i'll give it a shot and see what i come up with

Hubert ( ) posted Wed, 09 August 2000 at 8:53 AM

Hi, if you click onto the small triangle, next to "Create", then there should already be such a column, in section Boolean Objects. At least, in my Bryce4. Besides of that, I also would suggest to extrude a terrain with the column-cross-section as picture. Hubert

"All that we see or fear, is but a Sphere inside a Sphere."     (E. A. Pryce -- Tuesday afternoon, 1845)

Caligula ( ) posted Wed, 09 August 2000 at 5:57 PM

The one that comes with bryce isn't fluted.

Hubert ( ) posted Thu, 10 August 2000 at 2:50 AM

Hi, you got any example-pic/link for "fluted"?? I didnt/dont know that exact expression and suggested only according to buddhas explanation. That thingie in Bryce4 is built of Booleans, like buddha described. But it doesnt seem "fluted"? Now, I am interested, how a fluted anything loooks like! ;-) Hubert

"All that we see or fear, is but a Sphere inside a Sphere."     (E. A. Pryce -- Tuesday afternoon, 1845)

Quikp51 ( ) posted Thu, 10 August 2000 at 3:27 AM

Just look at pics of the Greek Parthenon. Do a search for it or the Acropolis and the columns used are fluted.

Hubert ( ) posted Thu, 10 August 2000 at 12:52 PM

Hi, well, I still consider that BR4-boolean object a fluted column! :-) According to my Websters (could now look it up at home), its about vertical parallel grooves. Like that column-object in BR4 - Create - Boolean: "Grego/Roman column piece". :-? Besides, I cannot tell Greek from Roman buildings. Just searched the Web and found some photos on "fluted columns": http://www.dragonridge.com/greece/classical_architecture.htm and that looks like "my" BR4 object. Dont get me wrong, I dont want to start a flame-war about "fluted", I only want to know the difference to that BR4-object. Hubert-the-flutebert

raven ( ) posted Thu, 10 August 2000 at 7:08 PM

I agree with Hubert. The one in Bryce is fluted, and is called 'traditional Greco/Roman column piece' fluted.jpg

Hubert ( ) posted Fri, 11 August 2000 at 1:32 AM

Hi Raven, many thanks for the approval and that example! I owe you one for that, better, make it a "10". Nah, better only a Zooh-5, for the boring ground-texture! (LOL, me only kidding!!) :-D Cheers, Hubert

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.