Thu, Sep 19, 3:11 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 2:39 pm)

Subject: Pboost with XP Pro

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 11:00 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 3:10 PM

Anyone here using Pboost with XP Pro? It will work about 3 times then locks the windows. Wondering if anyone has had this happen with XP Pro, and if so how did you get around it? Using ntfs file system. Thanks, Marque

layingback ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 11:23 AM

If you get the File Dialog up in Poser to help it find 1 or more textures, then you'll hit the lock problem. Poser (at least 4, PP, & 5) has a memory leak or similar (surprise, surprise) in the area of code dealing with that file dialog. So if it opens up that dialog, Poser never releases it back to Windows, ergo when PBoost tries to access the directory to switch it encounters the OS lock. And Poser seems to open the search for the texture at the /Runtime level so the lock affects all directories in Runtime not just Textures. So if that's your cause, you'll need to correct those references to prevent the problem in the future. Correct Reference being the simplest way to check all files, Deep File Editor or any text editor might suffice for the individual case. Another simpler cause is that you have a directory open simultaneously in Windows Explorer or P3DO or similar. This affects just that single directory, so just re-direct the explorer-style app to another directory and try PBoost switch again. Why M$ implemented the lock this way in NTFS I'll never know, because it causes problems within the OS itself (e.g. "cannot copy file, it may be locked or in use"), but it affects W2K just the same as XP.

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 12:53 PM

Nope, no File Dialog and no other windows were open. Weird that this would happen after using it for 3 changes. Ran the Correct Reference first to make sure I wouldn't have a problem there. Will keep trying. Thanks, Marque

layingback ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 1:37 PM

Sorry, Marque, I mispoke. I recreated a similar situation, and it locked (coincidentally) on the third attempted switch. But I'd seen no File Dialog, nor had the Windoze Explorer open on that drive. Retried, loading just the last figure that I'd loaded before and it lock immediately. Seems that Poser only needs to have to search INTERNALLY for a texture, and it goes into a sulk, forgets to release the directory, and the file lock issue is triggered. Ran Correct Reference on the figure's library and sure enough it corrected a few files. After that I repeated my steps with no file lock. In my case it was a prop (hair) loaded along as part of the figure's cr2 that had the misplaced texture.

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 2:09 PM

That must be it then I will try the correct reference again but like I said, I ran it before I even started the program so it should have fixed any problems. Thanks, Marque

layingback ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 2:17 PM

Not saying it was the cause in your case, just trying to correct my statement about needing to see the File Dialog. Which is what I had believe previously. Please let me know the outcome...

AlteredKitty ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 4:09 PM

I'm using the same specs as you and very rarely have a problem (using it with P5 too - scary huh!!) There's a fairly new update to the latest Pbooost (updgrades v1.4.07 to v1.4.2.11) so you may like to check that you have that if you're using PB 1.4... ali x

My Renderosity Store

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 4:30 PM

dunno if this will work, but it worked for me.. under NTFS only the Administratot account has full rights to a folder. if you are logging in as another user, you don't have the full rights set... I changed my rights on my Poser folder so I had the full set same as Admin and I never saw another error like this... might worth a try...

Marque ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 5:55 PM

Thanks, always sign in as administrator, and have the latest upgrade. I think it may be that my files are on different drives, that's the only thing it could be. Thanks for the ideas! Back to the drawing board. Marque

Towal ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 7:41 PM

I got Pboost yesterday (using xp pro here as well). I happily spent all day (literally) organizing everything. I have really only been using Poser for like 10 days and still found stuff I had no clue I had. I don't know how people that have been doing this for years keep track of everything.

I then ran Correctreference and discovered a billion jpgs that needed to be converted to bums (since I have P4 not PP). Spent a ton of time loading those one at a time (if there is an easier way to do this I'd appreciate the suggestion).

Opened Poser and started working on a project. Merrily switching banks with no problem. After about 3 or 4 switches I got the file lock thing. Closer Poser, reopened it. Still locked. Rebooted. Opened it. Still locked. Ran Correctreference and it found a bunch of stuff and corrected it. Rebooted, Opended poser. Still locked. Contemplated throwing the computer out the window and went to bed.

Got up this morning thinking maybe it was user error since I was really tired last night. Opended poser. Still locked.

I then ran correct reference again and it found yet more stuff and changed it (mind you I had done NOTHING on the computer since the last time I ran it). Rebooted. Still locked. Ran Correctreference and this time it found a few more jpgs that needed to be changed to bums. Did that. Ran it again. Rebooted. Opened Poser. Still locked.

Finally I started running CorrectReference on folders individually. Once I had run all the folders I went back to the main runtime folder and ran that. It ran clean the first time. Immediately when it finished I ran it again and this time it found more files to correct. I ran it again and it was clean. Ran it again immediately and more files. Finally I just kept repeating this process until I got 2 clean runs in a row. Rebooted, opended poser and it's been find since then. I've switched banks probably 40 times tonight with absolutely no problems.

Not sure if any of this will help you, but I understand your frustration at getting the file locks :(

Towal

Cylithera ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 10:39 PM

So. Pretty much the problem has to do with incorrect file references? I got PBooost awhile ago, and I haven't used it after first installing it, after it gave me problems. So. Just run Correct Reference a couple bajillion times, and it'll work? :)

Towal ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 11:01 PM

Well I'm not sure :) I can tell you that I'm really new to poser and had NO idea how else to troubleshoot it. I looked at the deep file editor and that was too confusing for me to figure out (plus I was already pretty frustrated).

I suspect that the key is running each folder seperately and then running it on the runtime folder repeatedly till it catches everything. I noticed that on my first run it ran upwards of 15k files. I suppose it's possible that there is some kind of limit on the number it can fix or something. I suspect whatever the problem is it's a windows problem and not a poser/pboost problem.

After I made my post above I did a few more practice renders. I have my stuff really split up in each catagory so even to change clothes on a figure I have to change banks 3 or 4 times. I had zero problems with it locking. Total I probably changed banks 80-100 times tonight.

Towal

elizabyte ( ) posted Wed, 05 November 2003 at 11:11 PM

Towal, if you have Photoshop, there's an action you can use to manually convert .jpgs to .bum. Drop me an IM if you're interested (that goes for anyone else, too, although you could also just go to my digital art site and dowload it from there; I don't want to sound like I'm "advertising" or anything :) bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

eirian ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 2:21 AM

I will try the correct reference again but like I said, I ran it before I even started the program so it should have fixed any problems. Marque, This might not be the problem in your case, but when I ran correct reference the first few times it didn't work on every file, but the error message wasn't clear. I thought it was okay, but still got the lockup. I ended up going through each file idividually and discovered that a number of CR2 and HR2 files were set as 'read only' by the creators. Obviously, CorrectReference can't correct these. I changed the properties on the affected files, ran correct reference again and all was perfect.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 7:09 AM

Also a little thing as to run CorrectReference on your saved PZ3's may be the thing to do. Becourse if you make a file, get a lock, then save the file in order to close down Poser, and run correct reference on the objects used, the PZ3 will STILL retain the faulty references when opened, therefore the PZ3 will most likely cause yet another lock. So if you store your pz3's outside of the Runtime folder, be sure to include that folder too in a correct Reference scan :o)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

elizabyte ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 7:46 AM

Oh, yes, run CorrectReference when you save a character, too. Poser saves with incomplete file names, or at least with file names that trigger the bug that makes XP think Poser has the file still open. bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

TT ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 12:48 PM

Marque, I am almost on same boat, have xp pro and tried several times to get that folder lock fixed, I dont know, I bought the Pboost becorse I tought it will help Poser4 using easyer, have to go back now to manuell moving files from folder to another, really tired of this mess, dont have time to try out several times to correct references and hope it will work, I am little dissappoint. ;(

"I like my species the way it is."

kayjay97 ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 1:41 PM

I have XP Pro have never been able to run PBoost. Even the new update. I would love to be able to. I understand it has something to do with XP Pro's security.

In a world filled with causes for worry and anxiety...
we need the peace of God standing guard over our hearts and minds.

Jerry McCant

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.