Sun, Oct 6, 3:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:12 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Cataloging Your Models

jgmart ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 5:00 PM · edited Mon, 22 July 2024 at 1:26 PM

Hello, This is probably a dumb question, but..... Right now I have hundreds of 3d models that I have stored on dozens of CDs. Other than writing down what each CD has on it, or loading the CD to see what's on it, I can never find the model I'm looking for. Does anyone know if there's some type of software app where I can keep all the models and sort them by type or see a sample render of the object or something? Like an Explorer browser type app? If anyone knows of any product or has any good suggestions for a better way to keep track of my meshes, I'd really appreciate any info you can give. Thanks for your time, John :)

cjd ( ) posted Thu, 06 November 2003 at 5:44 PM

Attached Link: http://www.righthemisphere.com

Not a dumb question at all ... I would guess you are on Windows platform by your mention of "Explorer", so you might try Deep Exploration at the link above. Chris

Bryde ( ) posted Fri, 07 November 2003 at 4:13 AM

Attached Link: Browz3D

Deep Exploration is an excellent program but unfortunately not a cheap one. If you don't have that much money, you can also try this free little app Browz3D. It will show a preview of the models in these formats: 3DS - 3D Studio binary export format ASC - 3D Studio ASCII export format DXF - AutoCAD ASCII exchange format LWO - LightWave binary export format OBJ - WaveFront ASCII export format T3D - UnrealEd ASCII brush format Another one is AccuTrans 3D which is shareware but the "demo" is the full program with no nags or whatever. It costs only US$ 20 and does a lot more than Browz3d - you also can convert models and such. Get it here http://www.micromouse.ca/index.html

jgmart ( ) posted Fri, 07 November 2003 at 6:04 AM

WOW! Thanks for the great info. Deep Exploration looks fantastic, but is a little out of my price range right now. I think I'll start with Browz 3D Thanks again!

BazC ( ) posted Fri, 07 November 2003 at 10:43 AM

I've searched version tracker for OSX 3d file browsers but didn't turn anything up. Anyone know of anything? - Baz

bonestructure ( ) posted Wed, 12 November 2003 at 10:14 AM

I have my models in different folders, like architectural, buildings, household, kitchen, chairs, tables, etc. I also use 3D Exploration to make thumbnails of all the models and keep those in a different place, but with the folders labeled the same so if I'm looking for something, I can just look through the thumbnails to find it.

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

pakled ( ) posted Sat, 15 November 2003 at 12:00 PM

I have Microsoft Access..but then I've only done about a hundred altogether..but it works, mate..;) more expensive than all the others combined..:|

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.