Mon, Oct 21, 10:01 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 9:06 pm)

Subject: Why does winzip insist on opening my files?

Mesh_Magick ( ) posted Tue, 16 December 2003 at 7:47 PM ยท edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 9:44 PM

I used to get a diolog box that asked me if I wanted to save the file or open it, now winzip just wants to open every zipfile I click on....Why, hjow can I get winzip back under control?

Mesh_Magick ( ) posted Tue, 16 December 2003 at 7:48 PM

I reinstalled winzip and the thing still wants to open all my zipfiles rather then just download the zipfile to where I wANT IT.

geoegress ( ) posted Tue, 16 December 2003 at 7:51 PM

ronstuff ( ) posted Tue, 16 December 2003 at 8:12 PM

I believe that this is a preference that you can set in your Tools>InternetOptions>Advanced panel. - It is not the fault of WinZip, because download actions are controlled by the browser.

bjbrown ( ) posted Tue, 16 December 2003 at 8:27 PM

If you're using Internet Explorer (like I do), by default a box will open when you start a download that will give you an option of saving the file or opening it. At the bottom of the box is a checked option "always ask before opening this kind of file." You probably accidentally unchecked it once, so IE no longer asks and does whatever it thinks is best (an annoying feature of all Microsoft products- software that likes to tell you what to do rather than doing what you want it to do). Unfortunately, I don't know how to change that. Microsoft products are also annoyingly opaque and resistant to a user changing settings.

geoegress ( ) posted Tue, 16 December 2003 at 8:42 PM

mine dosn't give that check box option anymore

pizazz ( ) posted Tue, 16 December 2003 at 9:24 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=1497569

I had the same problem, the answer is in Post 15 in the link.

mondoxjake ( ) posted Tue, 16 December 2003 at 10:16 PM

Have never had that problem with Win98SE or Winzip and have used WZ since version 3. Sounds like an IE/XP thing to me. [My last 3 computers over the past 8 years have been IE and Outlook Express free...best cure for system instability!]

galactron22 ( ) posted Wed, 17 December 2003 at 9:52 AM

Attached Link: http://www.stuffit.com/win/index.html

Use StuffIt instead of WinZip that'll end your problems.

Ask me a question, and I'll give you an answer.

caulbox ( ) posted Wed, 17 December 2003 at 3:20 PM

Attached Link: http://www.izsoft.dir.bg/izarc.htm

I HIGHLY recommend IZArc, as a free replacement (or accompaniment) to WinZip. Handles just about every file type you can think of - including 7-Zip. Brilliant program!

sriesch ( ) posted Sat, 20 December 2003 at 7:16 PM

Not really an answer to your question, but just in case this makes it uncessary: if you happen to be running Windows XP, you can directly access ?some?all? zipped files without needing any zipping/unzipping application.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.